Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia 2012

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia 2012
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3526 MYGOLF

Champion Choi Opens Sime Darby LPGA Title Defence With 65 And Share Lead With Webb

Na Yeon Choi

Kuala Lumpur, 11 October 2012: Defending champion Na Yeon Choi showed that she is not prepared to give up her Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia title without a fight after shooting a six-under 65 on Thursday to sit atop the leader board.

She leads the US$1.9 million event alongside Australian Karrie Webb, who matched the South Korean with six birdies of her own. Both women signed for bogey-free scorecards at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club (KLGCC) and are a stroke ahead of Japanese Mika Miyazato, Korean Sun Young Yoo and amateur Min Lee of Taiwan.

Said Choi, the world No. 4 and reigning US Open champion: “Six-under is a good score on any golf course. We still have three more rounds, but I have a lot of confidence, especially with this golf course.”

Winning her maiden Major earlier this year and coming to the Malaysian capital as defending champion has raised public expectations of her but she welcomed the added attention.
She said: “I think I put extra pressure on myself. A lot of people expect me to win again this year. That makes me a little nervous but I like that feeling. I think all the players need that little tension, that pressure. The main thing is I know course very well and I know I have ability to play well here because I did last year.”

A pure ball striker, her swing was on song right from the start of her round as she grabbed four birdies on the front nine, including a fine approach on the 388-yard par four 8th that rolled to within two feet for an easy birdie.

It was a similar display of precise ball striking from Webb, a seven-time Major winner chasing her 39th LPGA Tour victory of an illustrious career.

Karrie Webb

Despite taking three weeks off and returning home to Queensland to celebrate her mother Evelyn’s 60th birthday before coming to Malaysia, there was little sign of rust in the Hall of Famer’s game.

Said the 37-year-old: “I made a great up and down to save par on the 1st hole. That calmed me down. I birdied the 2nd and settled in from there. Six birdies, no bogeys in my first week back, I'm very happy with that.”

Even a near three-hour suspension of play at the KLGCC East Course – due to lightning threat – did not seem to faze the veteran who returned to complete her final three holes and birdied the 172-yard par three 17th hole to get herself into a share of the lead.

“Anytime you pick up a birdie the last three holes, it's great,” she added. “It's important to me that I didn't just try and finish the round. I told myself, all right, let's see if we can get another one or two birdies, and not just think about finishing the round off.”
The disruption of play did not help world No. 1 Yani Tseng however, who dropped four shots in her final seven holes en route to a surprising seven-over 78. The Taiwanese is joint-66th in the 72-woman field.

But perhaps the story of the day belonged to Tseng’s compatriot Min, a 17-year-old teenager who had the round of her life – her five-under 66 was the lowest score she has ever recorded.

Lee Min

The 2.4 handicapper is playing in her first LPGA Tour event after earning her place at the showpiece event by finishing second (on a count-back no less) at last month’s Sime Darby LPGA regional qualifying tournament.

Said the final year student at Nanhu Senior High School: “I was very nervous. I was shaking on the first tee this morning. I went to bed at 10pm last night but didn’t sleep well at all. I kept getting up throughout the night. I kept telling myself, this is the LPGA, this is the LPGA.”

Remarkably, she was not the only amateur to outperform the professionals on the opening day of the only LPGA-sanctioned tournament in Malaysia. Sixteen-year-old Ariya Jutanugarn of Thailand signed for a 69 and is joint-15th, ahead of the likes of world No. 2 Stacy Lewis of America (70 and tied-24th), two-time British Open winner and fifth-ranked Jiyai Shin (71 and t-39th) and fan favourite Michelle Wie (74 and t-59th).

The leading locals were Ainil Johani and amateur Aretha Pan; both finished on two-over 74 and are tied for 54th. Malaysian number one Jean Chua shot 76 while amateur Sarfina Vinota, 16, struggled with the length of the 6,208m course and finished with a 81.

Jean Chua

Despite her struggles, there were plenty of positives to take from her round, said Sarfina. Watching and learning from her flight mates Miyazato and I. K. Kim (70), both Tour winners, was an eye-opening experience, added the teenager.

“Their long irons are very sharp and accurate. They hit their long irons and good as I hit my short irons. I need to definitely work on that.”

Day 1 Leaderboard (Malaysian unless stated)

65 Na-Yeon Choi (KOR), Karrie Webb (USA)
66 Min Lee (TPE), Mika Miyazato (JPN), Sun Young Soo (KOR)
67 Hee Young Park (KOR), Hee-Won Han (KOR),
68 Lizette Salas (USA), Catriona Metthew (SCO), So Yeon Ryu (KOR), Jessica Korda (USA), Momoko Ueda (JPN), Christie Kerr (USA), Ai Miyazato (JPN)

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 1:
Day 1 Result

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
jediknight61

139 MYGOLF
Aiya, the Malaysians are not doing too well....
Sponsor
fareed
Don Committee (2011)

186 MYGOLF
jediknight61 wrote:
Aiya, the Malaysians are not doing too well....

They came, They Played and by friday evening they were gone ... no where to be found hahahah

Don Vice Captain (2010)

193 MYGOLF
fareed wrote:

They came, They Played and by friday evening they were gone ... no where to be found hahahah

They cannot stand the heat and the rain mah... Laughing

BTW, anyone knows whether cameras/photography are allowed ?
Day 2
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3526 MYGOLF

Choi Continues Charge And Pulls Away From The Field

Na Yeon Choi

Kuala Lumpur, 12 October 2012: The same question is on everyone’s lips at the halfway stage of the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia: Who can stop defending champion Na Yeon Choi from running away with this year’s championship?

Having shot a six-under 65 on Thursday, the sweet swinging South Korean was again on at top of her game as she fired six birdies for a four-under 67 to sit at 10-under 132. The overnight co-leader seized control of the US$1.9 million event and is two shots ahead of American Sydnee Michaels (65), who is second on 134.

Said Choi, the world No. 4 and reigning US Open winner: “I had two bogeys today but I think I'm still in pretty good position. I really like to play this golf course and I have a lot of confidence. Today I hit a lot of good iron shots and have been really looking forward to this week and hope to good result like last year.”

While several of the big names struggled to keep pace with her, it was left to an unexpected challenger to ensure that Choi did not run away with the US$285,000 winner’s cheque.

Sydnee Michaels

Despite being ranked 147th in the world and in her first year on the LPGA Tour, much of Michaels’ golf was world class. She strung five straight birdies beginning from the 11th hole for a backward nine of 31 to propel herself up the leader board.

“I definitely got on a roll. I gave myself good birdie chances every time. I was rolling the ball really well today,” said the rookie whose best result this year was a seventh-placed finished at the Safeway Classic in August.

The prospect of having to play catch up with Choi, a formidable front runner - five of her six Tour titles have been won with a lead going into the final round - did not faze Michaels either.
She said: “Golf is a crazy sport where the tournament can change in one hole. There's two days left, so that's a lot of golf to be played. I'm just hoping to go out and play well again the next two days, and hopefully my name will be at the top.”

Suzann Pettersen

Illustrating that point was Norwegian Suzann Pettersen, who broke the KLGCC East Course record by one stroke with a round of 64 that featured seven birdies. It was a flawless display of ball striking from the world No. 8; three times she struck her approaches to within tap-in distance for birdies.

“Just a very easy round of golf,” said the world No. 8. “It was nice to get a low round and get back into the tournament. Obviously when you hit it close, you feel like you can be aggressive.”

She finished on seven-under 135 and is joint-third alongside American Lizette Salas (67) and Japanese duo Mika Miyazato (69) and Momoko Ueda (67).

Besides the birdie barrage from Pettersen, spectators were treated to plenty of highlights at the only LPGA-sanctioned tournament in Malaysia. There was a stunning hole-in-one on the par three 136 yard 15th hole by Salas, and she came close to topping that with an improbable eagle when she nearly holed her approach on the par four 390 yard 18th as her ball hit the flag and cup before spinning out.

There was little to celebrate unfortunately for the top ranked Yani Tseng, whose struggles continued as she posted a 72, her second straight over-par round. It leaves her in a disappointing joint-61st position.

She said: “I felt like I gave 100 per cent into every shot, every hole today. I’m just going to keep working hard.”

Aretha Pan

Meanwhile, local amateur Aretha Pan remained the highest placed Malaysian after signing for her second straight 73, which included two birdies on her back nine. She is tied-52nd.

“The rough’s very thick and it’s been my biggest challenge. I’ve not been very lucky today but I’m happy I managed to come back with a few birdies,” she said, before adding: “I’m just trying to make myself happy and enjoy every second of this prestigious event.”

Sarfina Vinota

Pink Saturday awaits during which players and caddies will be sporting pink to raise awareness of breast cancer. Tournament spectators will receive a pink ribbon that day and those who registers at the CARIF booth will stand a chance to win a lucky draw prize. Nett proceeds of ticket sales throughout the tournament will be donated to CARIF.

Jean Chuai

Ainil Johani

Day 2 Leaderboard (Malaysian unless stated)

132 Na-Yeon Choi (KOR) 65-67
134 Sydnee Michaels (USA) 69-65
135 Suzann Pettersen (NOR) 71-64, Lizette Salas (USA) 68-67, Momoko Ueda (JPN) 68-67, Mika Miyazato (JPN) 66-69
136 Lindsey Wright (AUS) 70-66, Paula Creamer (USA) 69-67, Catriona Matthew (SCO) 68-68, Sun Young Soo (KOR) 66-70, Sun Young Yoo (KOR) 66-70

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 2:
Day 2 Result

Last edited by gbrian on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
Sponsor
Keng

193 MYGOLF
Why did Min Lee get DQed?
laser

256 MYGOLF
farsight wrote:

many spectators bring them ... common sense dictates ... respect the players' need to focus on their job ... why take your own when u can see so many professionally taken pics of them in action?

just my 2 sen Very Happy
laser

256 MYGOLF
kkcheo wrote:

sign incorrect scorecard
Keng

193 MYGOLF
laser wrote:
kkcheo wrote:

sign incorrect scorecard

Thanks. She was playing well too.
farsight
Don Vice Captain (2010)

193 MYGOLF
laser wrote:
farsight wrote:

many spectators bring them ... common sense dictates ... respect the players' need to focus on their job ... why take your own when u can see so many professionally taken pics of them in action?

just my 2 sen Very Happy

Thanks for the info laser, appreciate it. Photography is my other hobby besides golf, so your question why take is akin to asking a golfer why golf when he can just watch golf channel where professional golfers are in action every day Laughing
Sponsor
siv

42 MYGOLF
The Malaysian girls performances is just pathetic....sick and tired of all the excuses already

It's embarrassing to see when people from either poor or countries not as developed as us like Bangladesh, Thailand, etc....all producing good golfers and we keep going backwards

Siv
miura

92 MYGOLF
siv wrote:
The Malaysian girls performances is just pathetic....sick and tired of all the excuses already

It's embarrassing to see when people from either poor or countries not as developed as us like Bangladesh, Thailand, etc....all producing good golfers and we keep going backwards

Siv

lot of wasted money on stupid golf programs

these girls had the free pass to play and practice on KLGCC up to 50 hours a week for 3 months training on a SIME DARBY Programme

blah blah blah

its all about how hard you work and how bad you want it thats why the poorer countries do well no stupid development programme is going to make you an LPGA star

its not easy playing in such an event so im not critisizing any players but the malaysians need to wake up to reality

sometimes you are not good enough just accept it.
cheongXP

99 MYGOLF
[quote="laser"]
kkcheo wrote:

sign incorrect scorecard[/quot

Any more detail inside ?
Par wrote bogey ?
or wrong signature ???
Keng

193 MYGOLF
[quote="cheongXP"]
laser wrote:
kkcheo wrote:

Any more detail inside ?
Par wrote bogey ?
or wrong signature ???

http://www.sports247.my/news/2857/view
DQ
simivan

706 MYGOLF
[quote="kkcheo"]
cheongXP wrote:
laser wrote:
kkcheo wrote:

Any more detail inside ?
Par wrote bogey ?
or wrong signature ???

http://www.sports247.my/news/2857/view

Lucky is amateur
If pro then really sucks as invitational/exhibition no cuts even last also got money how to be so careless sign wrong score and get dq.
BTW saw something just now - one of the pro on approach shot to green at the short Par 4 Hole 11 I think - she was short and they were playing lift and place so after placing her ball saw her ball roll back a bit and she continued playing her 3rd and putted from fringe.
What's the ruling here?
Sponsor
Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia 2012