Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic Range Finders/GPS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Mobitee
h71y6

78 MYGOLF
I found that the use of rangefinder and GPS devices a great tool for the serious golfer. My flightmate uses the rangefinder occasionally and his son uses the Garmin GPS watch. The watch is so much quicker to get a measure of the distances cos it's always "on". Definitely helps to cut down scores esp on unfamiliar courses.

Rangefinders take more time so it may slow the game down. Always ON GPS is much quicker. Just a quick look and you know your distances.

Myself, i bought the Mobitee for iPhone and so far it's pretty good. The good thing is the courses are preloaded so i don't have to download anything when i'm playing. It's not cheap at 20+Euros but still cheaper than a GPS watch or rangefinder.

Also what i'm excited to use is the shot tracking, where as you play, you can record the actual distances of the shot you just hit. Saving it and averaging it can let you compile your personal "bag" where your irons are rated based on actual past shot data. So if your 5iron flies on the average of 150m based on GPS data (instead of perceived distances), that's used in the app for shot advise and targeting.

There's also a rangefinder view on the app but i haven't used it yet. Looks cool btw.

Limitations are mainly from the use of Google maps so the info is reliant on how updated the maps are from Google.

They do have the scorecard with putts and handicap calculations in addition to stableford. I think they will be adding more statistical features such as GIR/FIR/etc in the next update or i hope they will. I asked them to anyways.

Anyways, if any of you want a course updated, please send me a msg with the slope and rating and i'll ask them to update the app maps. They have quite an extensive list of maps. I found all the ones i play here in France and also the ones i used to play in Malaysia.

Their response are very quick based on my limited experience. I asked for an update to Bukit Jambul in Penang island and it was done in less than a day.

The one thing i think what most of us here say, which i agree, is that it's important to calibrate our real distances on the range. Most of the time, we are relying on range distance markers and most of them are not accurate based on where you stand and the elevation. Also hitting of mats AND the range balls can really skew the distances IMO. It's hard to play better golf if i don't know the min/max of how far my ball will go. If i am going to land the ball on an island green, i need to know the min distance that my ball will carry to the front of the green.

There you go. Sorry for the long read.

TLDR: GPS/rangefinders are GOLD for your game and i use Mobitee.

Last edited by h71y6 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hybrid: Ping i20
Irons: Mizuno H5 5-PW DGR300
SW: Mizuno MP-TP10 50deg, Titleist 56deg Chrome Vokey, 52deg Oilcan Vokey, both with Tour Concept shaft Stiff
Putter: Odyssey Hot White Pro #3
Balls: ProV Used balls
h71y6

78 MYGOLF
oh and one thing, if you are avg height around 5'10", count your steps and divide by two.
That will give you the distance you've walked in meters.

IF you didn't know that already. Wink

SW: Mizuno MP-TP10 50deg, Titleist 56deg Chrome Vokey, 52deg Oilcan Vokey, both with Tour Concept shaft Stiff
Sponsor
enix_2

24 MYGOLF
Bro h71y6,

Thanks for sharing. Good info.
I myself use a shot tracker to measure my irons. The only porblem is that when i use it, i start to become "concious" of the need to hit a good shot in order to put in an accurate reading. The the head start to think of ways to swing, the do and donts.. rather than just adress and swing freely.. A beginner's problem..
View user's profileFind all posts by enix_2Send private messageSend e-mailYahoo Messenger
h71y6

78 MYGOLF
Bro enix, i understand what you say. Over time, as you play the game, you will probably think differently. For me, when i get comfortable that i can consistently hit the ball, i start to accept that i need to manage my mistakes better. A lot of those come from hits not on the center of the clubface only so it's not major swing faults. However, hitting the ball just a little towards the top or bottom of the face can significantly change the distance of the carry. By knowing the min and max can really help get the ball over the water before the green. Smile

If i tried to only use "good" shot data, i won't really know my min distance. So i really want to include data of my worse shots.

LeonVL

52 MYGOLF
not looking to invest in any range finder or GPS.
Does anyone know if there is any iphone app that works as good?
Sponsor
Denmeister

147 MYGOLF
LeonVL wrote:

I used Golfshot before on my Iphone 3GS. It is quite good as the distances provided to the hazards n greens were quite accurate. However, it drained my battery quite fast.

I recently saw a friend using it on his samsung and asked him about the battery life n he said that a round of golf will use up about 20% which is a huge improvement.

You may want to take a look at this app.

If yours is not jailbroken, it will cost u usd25.99, definitely cheaper than a rangefinder or specialized gps gadget.

I, however, am using a laser rangefinder when playing at unfamiliar courses. It definitely gives me the assurance that the club i chose is the correct one. No doubt it does take up more time but i save some time also by taking one less shot...... i hope.
LeonVL

52 MYGOLF
DenMeister wrote:
LeonVL wrote:

I used Golfshot before on my Iphone 3GS. It is quite good as the distances provided to the hazards n greens were quite accurate. However, it drained my battery quite fast.

I recently saw a friend using it on his samsung and asked him about the battery life n he said that a round of golf will use up about 20% which is a huge improvement.

You may want to take a look at this app.

If yours is not jailbroken, it will cost u usd25.99, definitely cheaper than a rangefinder or specialized gps gadget.

I, however, am using a laser rangefinder when playing at unfamiliar courses. It definitely gives me the assurance that the club i chose is the correct one. No doubt it does take up more time but i save some time also by taking one less shot...... i hope.

Thanks for the advise sir
Garmin S3
jediknight61

139 MYGOLF
Dear Fellow Members, can anyone share their experience with the Garmin S3 golf GPS please?
Thank you.
Garmin S3
suicidal_dream

21 MYGOLF
Hi Jediknight61, did you manage to get any info on the Garmin S3? I am interested in getting one as well, but not sure of how good it is for courses in Malaysia.

By the way, i found the course list here http://www.garmin.com.sg/m/buzz/golfcourse/my_golf_courses.html

Hybrid: TaylorMade RocketBallz Rescue 22* #4 and 28* #6
Irons: Callaway X-22 6-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 54*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey Backstryke D.A.R.T. 34"
xircom

32 MYGOLF
Did you buy the S3 ? I read you can get that one for about 1K in shops. The problem is, that Garmin makes confusing messages regarding maps. People tell you cannot load any other courses than pre-loaded, particularly for the "Asia" version. But then checking the web it says any two regions can be pre-loaded by the tool.
Sponsor
azri

206 MYGOLF
I used golfshot for few years. Was given free up grade this year. I use it mainly for stats tracking. From there I know where I need to improv. Used to 3 putt, now average is 2. My GIR sux.. So need to get better.. That's some of the use case. For distance I used golf caddie that was bulk purchase from this forum a while back. I can measure my shots and know distance to green. Contemplating to get a range finder.. Still undecided. Range finder can tell you better distance.. Ie: distance to hazard, Bush, water, front flight Smile etc... But not sure how much it would improve my game.. Kinda expensive as well.. More than 1k..
baby26

103 MYGOLF
I've got a Garmin Approach S3, it's quite nice and works as described. Pretty easy to use and handy to have distances on your wrist.

xircom

32 MYGOLF
looks great, is it the "asia" version ? I also use Golfshot, but the use of the iPhone is cumbersome, it's ok for tracking. where did you buy it ? does it have the function of loading different regions maps ?
baby26

103 MYGOLF
I guess it is the Asia version, i bought it at PJ Digital Mall.

I tried to use iPhone with Pebble but not so accurate, battery drain fast & need to have phone by side all the time.

I'm not sure of loading different regions as i only play in this region.
jediknight61

139 MYGOLF
It is sold by any Garmin dealers. In KLCC it is sold in Engadget next to Sony. And quite a handy device to tell you as a minimum to the front, centre and end of the green. Note that it may not have new courses such as Amverton etc or those that have layout changes. Have to wait for map updates before these are available. I use it for my social games. The club has yet to authorise such devices for competitions.
Sponsor
Range Finders/GPS