Goto page 1, 2  Next
Golf Malaysia Survey of the Best Golf Courses in Malaysia
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

2908 MYGOLF

Kota Permai and Sarawak GC are Tops

The latest Golf Malaysia Course Poll that determined the best golf courses in Peninsular Malaysia and East Malaysia produced some pleasant surprises, thanks to 5.

In this 2008-2010 survey you have voted by way of our website, at numerous Golf Malaysia competitions, via e-mail, on Facebook and also at the annual GolfFest events.

The 2008-2010 poll was unique, as the voting extended over a three-year period rather than the traditional two-year time frame of the previous polls. In late 2008, Golf Malaysia felt the world’s poor economy was having a negative bearing on the country’s golf courses, especially when it came to maintenance. When the economy started to show signs of recovery in 2009, the decision was made to extend the voting into 2010 with the plan to determine the results in December of 2010 and release the list of winners in early 2011.

When golfers voted they were asked to state their preferences based on the course’s routing, playability, conditions, cleanliness, maintenance, overall landscapes, facilities, services, and the memorable qualities of their rounds.

In the last poll, which gave us winners that reigned from 2008 to 2010, the winner for Peninsular Malaysia was Kota Permai Golf & Country Club and Nexus Golf Resort Karambunai captured the East Malaysia crown.

Since clubs capable of creating overall customer satisfaction year-in-and-year-out tend to garner the votes Kota Permai G&CC was able to retain the top spot as the best course in Peninsular Malaysia by receiving 1,288 votes. In fact Kota Permai’s win makes it three-in-a-row for the 18-hole facility.

If Kota Permai wishes to join Saujana Golf & Country Club’s Palm course in Golf Malaysia’s Hall of Fame for outstanding golf courses it will need to win the next two polls to meet the Fame’s criteria of five-in-a-row. And, if this year is any indication Kota Permai’s task is far from a lock.

With 1,117 votes, Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club (KLGCC) displaced Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort (1,003 votes) as Peninsular Malaysia’s second best course and The Mines Resort & Golf Club (1,087) climbed to third to push Clearwater down to fourth.

In the previous poll KLGCC sat at No. 9, but since that poll their West and East courses were completely revamped at a cost of several million Ringgit and the club hosted the 2010 Malaysian Open on the West Course and the inaugural Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia on the East Course. Over the next two years, with their continued hosting of the two professional events and more golfers getting to play their outstanding new layouts KLGCC will give Kota Permai a strong challenge.

The same can also be said of The Mines Resort & Golf Club. While its 18 holes did not undergo major renovation, the condition of the course was brought to its finest in 2010 as the club prepared to host the first US PGA Tour event to come to Malaysia, the CIMB Asia Pacific Classic Malaysia. The exposure this first-class tournament provided The Mines had it moving from No. 7 to No. 3 in the voting and like KLGCC it will be challenging Kota Permai for the top spot over the next two years.

The most startling news, however, from the latest survey is that there are NINE new ‘faces’ in the Peninsular Malaysia Top 20. Leading the way for the new comers was Saujana Golf & Country Club’s Bunga Raya course (997) in fifth position followed by: Starhill Golf Club (864) No. 12, Horizon Hills Golf & Country Club (861) No. 13, Ayer Keroh Country Club (791) No. 15, Berjaya Hills Golf & Country Club (776) No. 16, Pulai Springs Resort (758) No. 17, The Golf Club, Datai Bay (667) No. 18, The Legends Golf & Country Resort (656) No. 19, and Bukit Jawi Golf Resort (604) No. 20.

Clubs voted out of the top 20 included Staffield Country Resort in Mantin, Negeri Sembilan (3rd previously), Palm Garden Golf Club in Putrajaya (4th), Cinta Sayang Golf & Country Club in Sungai Petani, Kedah (5th), Kajang Hill Golf Club (6th), Sungai Long Golf & Country Club in Kajang (8th), Bukit Jambul Country Club in Pulau Pinang (11th), Kelab Golf Negara Subang in Petaling Jaya (12th), Kelab Golf Rahman Putra in Sungai Buloh (19th) and Glenmarie Golf & Country Club in Shah Alam (20th).

The biggest upward moves were made by Tropicana Golf & Country Club (972), which jumped from No. 18 to No. 6 and Tanjong Puteri Golf Resort (892) from 16th to 9th.

The Top 10 East Malaysian Courses from the states of Sabah and Sarawak, had Sarawak Golf Club with 1,821 votes dethroning Nexus Golf Resort Karambunai (1,672) and their jump from No. 7 to No. 1 represented the strongest move among the top 10. The second biggest upward move was Sabah Golf & Country Club (1,411) going from 10th to 5th.

Interestingly, no new courses appeared in the East Malaysia rankings.

While Nexus lost its pole position in Sabah/Sarawak, it did retain the title of Best Golf Resort in Malaysia (814 votes), with Melaka’s A’Famosa second (717) and Sutera Harbour (712) third.

And when it comes to being ‘Memorable’ Sabah’s Tawau Hot Spring Golf Club impressed those who played enough to receive 886 votes to outrank Clearwater Sanctuary who claimed the second spot with 809 votes.

For those who have not played Tawau, be informed that the tough 18-hole layout gets the ‘Memorable’ honour because of its natural jungle settings, cool highland weather, the frequent appearance of majestic hornbillls and more out-of-bounds than any other course in Malaysia.

Clearwater again top in the most scenic category (679), followed by Awana Genting (576), Bukit Unggul (511), Tawau (476) and Berjaya Hills (403).

As for difficulty Klang Valley golfers have to look no future than Kelab Rahman Putra (712) as it is the most difficult course to handle, followed by Orna in Melaka (671), Tanjong Puteri (411), Berjaya Hills (387) and Horizon Hills (355).

In the Most Difficult Hole category readers put Hole 9 on the Lake Nine at Tiara Melaka (788), with another 9th hole, that of The Legends Nicklaus course (702) at No. 2, with Hole 3 Hill Course at Rahman Putra (644), Hole 15 Bukit Jawi (553) and No. 18 at Kinrara (502), in that order.

Darul Ehsan Golf Club was voted (708, as it was in the previous poll), the Best 9-hole Course, followed by Bukit Utama (555), Royal Kampung Kuantan (504), Royal Kedah (467) and Valencia in Sungai Buloh (432).

The Golf Malaysia Course Poll 2011-2012 poll will commence with voting in December 2011 with the results announced in the 2013 February issue of Golf Malaysia magazine.

Total Official Votes Received 5,723 polls

The Top 20 Courses in
Peninsular Malaysia for 2011/2012

1 Kota Permai Golf & Country Club 1,288
2 Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club 1,117
3 The Mines Resort & Golf Club 1,087
4 Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort 1,003
5 Saujana Golf & Country Club (Bunga Raya) 997
6 Tropicana Golf & Country Club 972
7 Tiara Melaka Golf & Country Club 936
8 Kelab Golf Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah 897
9 Tanjung Puteri Golf Resort 892
10 A’Famosa Golf Resort 883
11 Palm Resort Golf & Country Club 871
12 Starhill Golf & Country Club 864
13 Horizon Hills Golf & Country Club 861
14 Impian Golf & Country Club 812
15 Ayer Keroh Country Club 791
16 Berjaya Hills Golf & Country Club 776
17 Pulai Springs Golf Resort 758
18 The Golf Club, Datai Bay 667
19 The Legends Golf & Country Resort 656
20 Bukit Jawi Golf Resort 604

The Top 10 Course in
East Malaysia Courses for 2011/2012

1 Sarawak Golf Club 1,821
2 Nexus Golf Resort Karambunai 1,672
3 Sutera Harbour Marina G&CC 1,633
4 Tawau Hot Spring Golf Club 1,515
5 Sabah Golf & Country Club 1,411
6 Dalit Bay Golf & Country Club 1,053
7 Shan-Shui Golf & Country Resort 1,007
8 Borneo Golf & Country Club 978
9 Damai Golf & Country Club 844
10 Eastwood Valley Golf & Country Club 765

The Most Memorable Golf Courses in Malaysia:
No. 1 Tawau Hot Spring Golf Club 886
No. 2 Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort 809
No. 3 Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club 666
No. 4 The Golf Club, Datai Bay 501
No. 5 (Tied) Berjaya Hills Golf & Country Club 494
No. 5 (Tied) Meru Valley Golf & Country Club 494

The Most Difficult Golf Courses in Malaysia:
No. 1 Kelab Rahman Putra Malaysia 712
No. 2 Orna Golf & Country Club 671
No. 3 Kelab Golf Perkhidmatan Awam 622
No. 4 Tawau Hot Spring Golf Club 607
No. 5 (Tied). Mount Kinabalu Golf Club 599
No. 5 (Tied) Seremban 3 Paradise Valley Golf Resort 599

The Most Difficult Golf Holes in Malaysia:

No. 1 Tiara Melaka Golf & Country Club 788
Hole: No. 9 (Lake Nine)
No. 2 The Legends Golf & Country Resort 702
Hole: No. 6 (Nicklaus)
No. 3 Kelab Rahman Putra Malaysia 644
Hole: No. 7 (Hill Course)
No. 4 Bukit Jawi Golf Resort 553
Hole No: 15 (Lake Course)
No. 5 Kinrara Golf Club 502
Hole No: 18

The Most Scenic Golf Courses in Malaysia:
No. 1 Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort 679
No. 2 Awana Genting Highland Golf & C Resort 576
No. 3 Bukit Unggul Country Club 511
No. 4 Tawau Hot Spring Golf Club 476
No. 5 Berjaya Hills Golf & Country Club 403

The Most Scenic Holes in Malaysia:
No. 1 Dalit Bay Golf & Country Club 543
Hole: No. 11
No. 2 The Golf Club, Datai Bay 432
Hole: No. 19
No. 3 Tanjong Puteri Golf Resort 411
Hole: No. 17 (Straight Course)
No. 4 Berjaya Hills Golf & Country Club 387
Hole: No. 17
No. 5 Horizon Hills Golf & Country Club 355
Hole: No. 18

The Best Private Members' Clubs in Malaysia are:
No. 1 Saujana Golf & Country Club 775
No. 2 Sungai Long Golf & Country Club 723
No. 3 Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club 698
No. 4 Royal Selangor Golf Club 664
No. 5 Kelab Golf Negara Subang 621

The Best Golf Resorts in Malaysia are:
No. 1 Nexus Golf Resort Karambunai 814
No. 2 A’Famosa Golf Resort 717
No. 3 Sutera Harbour Golf & Country Club 712
No. 4 Berjaya Hills Golf & Country Club 615
No. 5 Palm Resort Golf & Country Club 569

The Best 9-Hole Courses in Malaysia are:
No. 1 Darul Ehsan Golf Club 708
No. 2 Bukit Utama Golf Club 555
No. 3 Royal Kampong Kuantan Golf Club 504
No. 4 Royal Kedah Golf Club 467
No. 5 Valencia Golf Club 432

The Best Maintained Golf Courses in Malaysia are:
No. 1 Kota Permai Golf & Country Club 931
No. 2 Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club 807
No. 3 Impian Golf & Country Club 714
No. 4 Sungai Long Golf & Country Club 574
No. 5 Sabah Golf & Country Club 490

The Best Clubhouse/Facilities in Malaysia are:
No. 1 Saujana Golf & Country Club 770
No. 2 Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club 721
No. 3 Tropicana Golf & Country Club 653
No. 4 Kelab Golf Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah 620
No. 5 Glenmarie Golf & Country Club 544

The Best Customer Service Clubs in Malaysia are:
No. 1 Kota Permai Golf & Country Club 721
No. 2 Palm Resort Golf & Country Club 617
No. 3 Tropicana Golf & Country Club 576
No. 4 Kelab Golf Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah 437
No. 5 Penang Golf Resort 422

~~~~~END~~~~~

Irons: Epon AF-501 (5-P)
Wedges: Epon Forged 208KGX 50 & 58 (Satin)
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
Magic

2800 MYGOLF
Not bad, can see my home club (Impian) in some of the category Laughing

Kinlala also in the list for Most difficult hole
Sponsor
YHL
Nagaria Captain (2010)

846 MYGOLF
Wondering where I can get info of the demographic profile of respondents for this survey...

I would be pleased to know the demographic characteristics like :-

a. Age
b. Gender
c. Area of residence
d. No. of golf clubs they have played in

Also wondering how can one take part in a survey when he/she has not even played in a club like The Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club before...

I am curious to know too, if the results are tabulated and being analyzed by an independent MR consulting firm...

The survey result doesn't mean anything to me if the above is not being disclosed Razz
View user's profileFind all posts by YHLSend private messageVisit poster's website
Magic

2800 MYGOLF
Michelle, you are right! I am keen to know too...
rizalak
Don Committee (2011)

459 MYGOLF
who the hell did they ask?

best 9 hole course 2. bukit utama???? what there are only 5 in all of Malaysia?
KGPA as top 5 hardest??? some of my best ever scores are there.

Would say it looks good on most part but wondering what happen to the palm at Saujana? ir seems not rated anywhere. Thats gotta be harder than KGPA?

ugetz

36 MYGOLF
Bkt. Utama no.2!!??... clearly the demographic of voters is flawed!
okwoon

355 MYGOLF
if we are all unconvinced of the findings of GM, we can also run a poll of our own to see what the results may be.

But one thing i can concur with GM is Tawau Hotspring. Its landscaping is BEAUTIFUL but golfing layout is helluva frustrating.
YHL
Nagaria Captain (2010)

846 MYGOLF
okwoon wrote:
But one thing i can concur with GM is Tawau Hotspring. Its landscaping is BEAUTIFUL but golfing layout is helluva frustrating.

Woon, you may reserve your comment after you have played at the KKB. I want to know your score Razz
View user's profileFind all posts by YHLSend private messageVisit poster's website
okwoon

355 MYGOLF
YHL wrote:
okwoon wrote:

Woon, you may reserve your comment after you have played at the KKB. I want to know your score Razz

oh dear. Please DON'T tell me KKB is like Tawau Hotspring!

Hotspring is surely memorable to me. It was the only place which I really lost my cool and banged my club onto the ground like TW. And the outburst was after tolerating the disgusting layout for a few holes. Twisted Evil

Anyway, I plan to revisit Hotspring again in July/Aug to conquer it! Hehe. Laughing
YHL
Nagaria Captain (2010)

846 MYGOLF
Searched thru the internet, still couldn't find the detailed methodology of this survey...got a few info here and there e.g. we have 300,000 golfers and 200 golf courses in the country...

So are these 5723 panelists mainly come from Klang Valley? How many per cent? Are these panelists truly qualified by visiting all the 200 golf courses in Malaysia before they give rating for each of the category?

Setting a proper method is a difficult task for this kind of survey. The next challenge comes the requirement for these prospective jurors to understand the elements that contribute to excellent golf. The test of a golf course doesn’t concern its difficulty. Some of the hardest courses are also some of the most dull. The true test of a golf course is the amount of interest it can stir in the breast.

The second qualification was their playing experience. Each juror must have had occasion to play and study golf courses from around the country. Finding these qualified golfers was a most difficult chore I suppose.
Sponsor
Comparison
simivan

578 MYGOLF
okwoon wrote:
YHL wrote:
okwoon wrote:

oh dear. Please DON'T tell me KKB is like Tawau Hotspring!

Hotspring is surely memorable to me. It was the only place which I really lost my cool and banged my club onto the ground like TW. And the outburst was after tolerating the disgusting layout for a few holes. Twisted Evil

Anyway, I plan to revisit Hotspring again in July/Aug to conquer it! Hehe. Laughing

I don't think can compare.
Tawau Hot Spring is surely much nicer and longer except for 2nd nine - KKB the 1st nine (old nine) is nicer but most people also do not like the 2nd new nine.
Tough - maybe KKB may be tougher - especially if never played before - the 2nd nine got lots of blind holes and must know where to aim, how far to hit etc.
Anyway I also think the survey/rating very subjective - why no Templer Park in toughest course - always play 100+ there - Rahman Putra? KGPA?
Magic

2800 MYGOLF
okwoon wrote:
if we are all unconvinced of the findings of GM, we can also run a poll of our own to see what the results may be.

Tawau Hot Spring is really a tough course, but the landscaping is 2 thumbs up!
YHL
Nagaria Captain (2010)

846 MYGOLF
Magic wrote:
okwoon wrote:

Mike, I know you have played there with the gang...I missed the trip with you guys...air ticket pun burnt that time Sad

I am trying my luck to be there on 18 June. Have known a local member there and he's been playing 80+- It should not be so difficult guahhhh....let me try it out this time and will tell ya'll Razz
Magic

2800 MYGOLF
YHL wrote:
Magic wrote:
okwoon wrote:

Mike, I know you have played there with the gang...I missed the trip with you guys...air ticket pun burnt that time Sad

I am trying my luck to be there on 18 June. Have known a local member there and he's been playing 80+- It should not be so difficult guahhhh....let me try it out this time and will tell ya'll Razz

I think we are too focus to observe the scenery in Tawau Hotspring rather the golf ball, that;s why it is tough. Wink
SirAlf

114 MYGOLF
I think Tawau Hotspring is tough especially if you are playing there for the 1st time,. its long, most holes are elevated/blind and distance judgement is always tricky.. However, its a nice place to enjoy nature, pour out frustrations and because its almost always deserted on weeksdays, you can scream your head off and only the monkeys & birds will be amused... Smile