Reply to topic SIME DARBY LPGA MALAYSIA 2010

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
SIME DARBY LPGA MALAYSIA 2010
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3542 MYGOLF

Mika Miyazato And Lee Jee Youg Lead Inaugural Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR, 22 October 2010 – Mika Miyazato from Japan and South Korea’s Lee Jee Young upstaged the star-studded Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia field to take a one stroke lead after the first day at Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club after rounds of five-under par 66.

Crowds in the thousands were out in full force to support players such as Cristie Kerr, Michelle Wie and Natalie Gulbis, but it was the strength of the Asian players on the LPGA Tour that stood out.

Miyazato, who ended her round with five birdies and no bogeys, said that she was very happy with the way she played.

Mika Miyazato(Photo courtesy of Danisharief)

“I was hitting the ball very well (and) I was just focusing on making par. Tomorrow, I will focus on one shot at a time,” said the 21-year-old, who won her first professional career title earlier this month at the Japan Women’s Open.

Lee, who shot an even better seven birdies, said that she was pleased with the way she handled the greens and felt that improvements to her swing this year have helped her to play better.

Lee Jee Young(Photo courtesy of Danisharief)

“My swing was very short [before] but last year, I changed my [technical] coach and now I play more of a feel shot,” said the 25-year-old.

One shot behind the leaders in third place is the experienced Han Hee Won, also from South Korea, whilst four players – Alena Sharp, Maria Hjorth, Ahn Shi Hyun, and superstar Wie – are tied for fourth with a first round score of three-under 68.

Michelle Wie(Photo courtesy of Danisharief)

Wie, who played her round with Yani Tseng and Suzann Pettersen, said, “It was a long day. I feel like I've been out here for a long time, but it was a fun day, a really fun group with Suzann and Yani, and I'm looking forward to the next two days. I think I did pretty well. I'm just going out there just grinding. It's very hot, so you're taking one shot at a time. I left a lot of putts in the end, but I feel like I'm just going to have to keep grinding and doing better tomorrow.”

Amongst the other big names, Pettersen (69), Gulbis (70) and Cristie Kerr (72) remain within striking distance, with Na Yeon Choi (74), Tseng (75), Ai Miyazato (76) looking for better days on Saturday.

Ai Miyazato(Photo courtesy of Danisharief)

Cristie Kerr(Photo courtesy of Danisharief)

Play was disrupted at 1.37pm due to the threat of lightning but resumed at 4.47pm, allowing the 60-strong field, which is made up of the top 50 on the LPGA Official money List and 10 sponsors’ exemptions, to finish their rounds.

16-year-old Kelly Tan was the best performer amongst the local players, shooting an even-par 71 to finish tied for 23rd place. The amateur, who earned her way into the field at the regional qualifying event, was delighted with the home support and her first round score.

Kelly Tan(Photo courtesy of Danisharief)

“I was really excited on the way here [this morning], and when I saw the crowd, and everybody saying, ‘Malaysia Boleh, Malaysia Boleh’ [Go Malaysia], I was so happy [to know that] so many people are supporting me. I will be really happy to make it to the top 10 for my birthday present on 26th October.”

The Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia, featuring a world-class field including the top nine players on the Rolex Rankings who are vying for the prize purse of US$1.8 million, will resume with the second round tomorrow, with starting tee-off times just after 9am. The third and final round will take place on Sunday, 24th October.

~~~~~END~~~~~

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
Where to buy tickets?
AstroCreep

30 MYGOLF
Never been to a golf tournament before, but planning to go tomorrow.
Can I purchase the ticket at entrance? Or do I absolutely have to buy from Ticketpro or Rock Corner?

Re: Where to buy tickets?
simivan

706 MYGOLF
AstroCreep wrote:
Never been to a golf tournament before, but planning to go tomorrow.
Can I purchase the ticket at entrance? Or do I absolutely have to buy from Ticketpro or Rock Corner?

Just buy at the entrance - day is RM 23 Season is 50++
rizalak
Don Committee (2011)

459 MYGOLF
ai say, post la some photos from those of us not in kl able to watch.....

30 MYGOLF
Our Malaysian ladies did put up a gallant display of skill and guts but advertantly, still have a long way to go. Mental toughness and the will to win, among others, need to be enhanced. I believe they need more exposure at international level. I certainly believe they could be on par with the world bests, one day!!

Keep it up ladies..
Sponsor
Day 2
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3542 MYGOLF

Maria Hjorth And Lee Jee Young Share Lead in Day 2

Maria Hjorth (Photo copyright: Danisharief Mohamad)

KUALA LUMPUR, 23 October 2010 - Sweden’s Maria Hjorth moved into pole position alongside joint overnight leader Lee Jee Young from South Korea after the second round of the inaugural Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia at Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club. The players are tied at an aggregate of six-under par 136 overall, a one-stroke lead over the field moving into tomorrow’s final round.

It was a mixed day for Hjorth, a three-time winner on the LPGA Tour. She had four bogeys, but came up with five birdies and a crucial eagle on the sixth hole to end with a 68, matching yesterday’s first round.

Said Hjorth: “I had a lot of birdies and a great eagle on No. 6, so that obviously helped. Then I had three bogeys in a row (holes 11-13), which was obviously not very good, but overall I'm very happy with the round.

“I actually thought someone would shoot away a little bit in the scoring, but I'm happy that they didn't. I'm hitting the ball well and obviously making some really good putts, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow,” she added.

Lee Jee Young (Photo copyright: Danisharief Mohamad)

Lee, who shot a 66 yesterday to share the first-round lead with Mika Miyazato, finished with a one-under 70 today. “I played well today. My shot was really good, but I missed a lot of putts, so I just made one under. Tomorrow hopefully it'll work (better),” said Lee, who turned professional in 2004 and has one LPGA Tour victory to her name.

Sitting in third place is Rolex Rankings World No.8 and rising star on the Tour, Kim Song-Hee from South Korea, who is at five-under 137 overall after rounds of 69-68.

Kim Song-Hee (Photo copyright: Danisharief Mohamad)

The 22-year-old said: “I played pretty solid today. I had some great up-and-downs on two, three and four on the front nine. I had a bogey on number seven, but I came back on eight and nine with birdies. I had a lot of confidence in my shot and added two more birdies.”

When asked what her game plan was for tomorrow, Kim added: “I’m just going to play my own game and have more confidence in my shot and trust my caddie.”

Similar to yesterday, play was suspended in the early afternoon at 2.31 pm due to the threat of lightning and showers and resumed at 4.59pm.

Natalie Gulbis (Photo copyright: Danisharief Mohamad)

Natalie Gulbis, who carded a 68 today and sits in a tie for fourth with Japan’s Mika Miyazato and LPGA Hall of Famer Juli Inkster, was one of the players to have finished her round before the suspension of play.

Gulbis, who was bogey-free until the 18th, feels the course suits her game. “I love this golf course. This is a golf course that suits my eye real well. I'm an aggressive putter, so these greens suit my game well and, depending on what the leaderboard looks like at the end of the day, it will be fun to go out there and play aggressive and see what happens.”

Also finishing with a 68 today, Jean Chua was the best performer amongst the local players. Going into tomorrow’s final round at two-under par, Chua managed three birdies and an eagle today and is now tied for 11th with five other players.

Jean Chua

Said the 23-year-old from Cheras: “My round today was pretty solid. I was a little shaky with the putts on the front nine, but on the back nine they started going in. So tomorrow I'm just going to plan on improving my score and just take it easy. I'm excited that my game is coming together at the right time and at the best tournament for me. “

Compatriot Kelly Tan, who shot an even par round yesterday, currently sits in joint 34th place after scoring a 73 today. Amongst the other big names, Cristie Kerr (29th), Ai Miyazato (43th) and Yani Tseng (48th) were further down the leaderboard.

~~~~END~~~~

Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Final Day
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3542 MYGOLF

Kang Jimin Storms Home To Win Inaugural Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia

South Korean posts final round 65, lowest round of the day to win her second LPGA title

Kang Jimin with trophy (Photo copyright - Danisharief Mohamad)

KUALA LUMPUR, 24 October 2010 – Jimin Kang from South Korea claimed a thrilling one-stroke victory in the inaugural Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia after a dominant final stretch of three birdies in the last four holes at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club.

A massive Malaysian crowd witnessed Kang calmly roll in a 12-foot downhill putt on the final hole to shoot 6-under-par 65 to finish just one shot ahead of LPGA Hall of Famer Juli Inkster, who carded a bogey on the final hole to drop out of a tie for the lead.

Kang’s blistering final round left her with a nine-under 204 total and her second LPGA victory, following a Rolex First-Time win at the 2005 LPGA Corning Classic. The 30-year-old’s first place finish meant she took home prize money of US$270,000, vaulting her to 20th on the 2010 LPGA Official Money List.

Kang Jimin in action (Photo copyright - Danisharief Mohamad)

“Speechless,” Kang said when asked how she felt. “And that's not that easy to do for me. I played solid. I hit a lot of putts. As you guys can tell, my score was good enough to win a tournament, and you know, it's been a while. So I'm trying to soak this in. I can't believe I won.”

Inkster’s second-place finish was her best of the season thanks to her own brilliant stretch of birdies 13, 15, 16 and 17, the final of which pushed her into the outright lead. However, she pushed her second shot into the right greenside bunker at the 18th, nearly holing out from the sand before having to settle for a two-putt bogey.

Juli Inkster (Photo copyright - Danisharief Mohamad)

Combined with an 18th hole birdie from Kang, playing a group behind Inkster, it was enough for victory, or at least a shot at a play-off, to slip away.

“When I miss it, I miss it right,” Inkster said of her final approach. “It was a three-quarter shot and I left it out there. I played well all day.”

First-round leader Mika Miyazato of Japan and Maria Hjorth of Sweden shared third at six-under 207, with Meena Lee alone in fifth another shot back.

Mika Miyazato (Photo copyright - Danisharief Mohamad)

Meanwhile, American Cristie Kerr could take over the top position in the Rolex Rankings as a result of her superb final round. The current world No.2 (as at 18 October 2010) began the final round tied for 29th and, teeing off on the 10th hole, registered four birdies in her first six holes of the day. Although she added a bogey at 18 (her ninth hole) birdies at three and five saw her finish at five-under-par 66 and in eighth position.

“It would feel great to take over No. 1 this week,” said Kerr. “It’s been so close the last four tournaments. It came down to one putt in Alabama and last week I had a great finish, but just wasn’t close enough. I’ve been thinking about this race all year. It’s coming down to a putt here or there and it cannot get any closer.”

Jiyai Shin, who finished tied for sixth with Christina Kim, is projected to take the No. 2 spot in the Rolex Rankings, while Ai Miyazato, who could only finish tied for 28th, could fall to No. 3.

Doing the home country proud, amateur Kelly Tan tied for 32nd at 3-over-par 216 to come out as the best Malaysian performer of the tournament. When asked about her week, the 16-year-old amateur said, “The first day I was really nervous. You know, my heartbeat was really fast, but today I think I handled it pretty well.”

Kelly Tan (Photo copyright - Danisharief Mohamad)

“Of course, it's a little bit of advantage for us to play on our home course. And the weather, we are used to it but I’m really happy with the way I played all week and I am thrilled with my finish,” she added.

Overnight leaders Hjorth and Jee Young Lee from South Korea each struggled on Sunday. Hjorth shot even-par 71, including a bogey at 18 to put her in joint-third position while Lee carded a 75 to drop into a tie for ninth.

The Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia, which took place from 22-24 October, featured a world-class field including the top nine players on the Rolex Rankings who vied for the prize purse of US$1.8 million. The three-day stroke play event with no cut meant that the tournament players were in Kuala Lumpur for the tournament duration and the local and regional golf community were able to catch their favourite golfers in action till the end of the tournament.

~~~~~END~~~~~

botak

542 MYGOLF
Really cannot believe Jean Chua shot 11 on 18th hole Shocked Sad
Rebel

81 MYGOLF
pictures I took...some are slightly blur-ish coz it was very early and some due to long distance zoom in...was following Na Yeon Choi so had more pics of her...

Can anyone tell me who is she? very hot woooooo...

Rebel

81 MYGOLF
more

Sponsor
rebel
parkkeekun

367 MYGOLF
rebel, to answer your question the pro in yellow (correct me if i m wrong),
should be SANDRA GAL from Germany.
parkkeekun

367 MYGOLF
the most beautiful professional golfer at the sime darby lpga tournament, i my opinion, is Tiranan Yoopan.

She's not very photogenic but you are up close and personal with her.......

can someone throw me some ice cubes?

anyone wana start a fan page? hehehehe
parkkeekun

367 MYGOLF
i mean to say, "but when you are up close and personal"
Re: rebel
geraldsaw

633 MYGOLF
parkkeekun wrote:
rebel, to answer your question the pro in yellow (correct me if i m wrong),
should be SANDRA GAL from Germany.

rebel - another shot of sandra gal