In total there are 433 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 433 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 1775 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:01 am

Reply to topic Layup!? Attack!? Beginner's point of view on course mgt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AccidentalGolfer

1259 MYGOLF
If anyone sees a hacker driving around this course with multiple A4size prints of this thread stuck on his buggy's windscreen, it's gotta be me! Very Happy

Lee,
You da man!

Nagaria Captain (2010)

846 MYGOLF
Hi Lee, I know it is hard work but you did it excellently! Thanks for taking the pain for sharing your game at Glenmarie with us. I doubt there is another person who can do this job well volunteerily! You are to me the #1 Golfaholic Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Keep it up bro!!!

May I suggest that u move this thread to golf course review section for Glenmarie GCC so that more readers worldwide can catch it and be benefitted by the tips you are giving us Wink
View user's profileFind all posts by YHLSend private messageVisit poster's website
Sponsor
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
AccidentalGolfer, you crack me up dude. Thanks for the nice compliment. It's always nice to be appreciated.

Michelle, thanks also for your lovely compliments. I considered starting this thread in the golf course section, but I found out only moderators can start a thread there. I saw the Glenmarie thread, and found out it ended with a sombre warning on the locker there. I did not want to withdraw attention from that; I think members should know about it. And since I wanted to focus on a discussion on course management as a whole rather than a review of how a specific course played, I decided to start the thread here. I'll be adding my experience on this topic from the various courses I play, so this thread will grow with a focus on course management, not specific to a particular course. That's the plan anyways.... BTW, how does one go about moving a thread to another location? I searched but couldn't find the button...

(John 6:35 ESV)

Beautiful dog leg
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 10

Blue 351
White 317
Red 289
Index 4
Par 4

OK, coffee break over. With renewed energy, we forge on.

Another lovely hole with a beautiful view from the tee box. Plenty of water, but it's not a real cause for concern if your driver is reliable. Choose the landing point wisely. Because of the dog leg, your next approach shot distance can vary quite a bit. Going a bit more left is ok (and even better if you're long) because as usual, the slope will kick it back down. Going right is risky, but is rewarded with a shorter approach, as long as you stay out of the bunker and water. Just remember your next shot will be on a down slope, so take a higher lofted club.

It is an index 4 hole, so plan your approach carefully to land at pin height or below. Else the multi-leveled green can be tricky.

I got caught in the greenside bunker, took me two strokes to get out, and did a 7. Not nice....

Last edited by Lee36328 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

christvh

56 MYGOLF
Lee,

Nice work to the picture and great analysis on the strategy, your hard work will attract more people to visit the course, go and get some rewards from Glenmarie though.. Laughing

Anyway, you are a truly asset of this forum and the effort you spend sure wouldn't go unnoticed.
Sponsor
Straight and long
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 11

Blue 448
White 417
Red 355
Index 18
Par 5

Long and straight, hug the trees on the left to avoid the right bunkers. Easiest green on the course, so should be able to get par or birdie.

Again, the green is not biting. I got bogey as usual. Gotta improve my putting, darn it, or aim to land short and let it roll on.

Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
christvh wrote:
Lee,

Nice work to the picture and great analysis on the strategy, your hard work will attract more people to visit the course, go and get some rewards from Glenmarie though.. Laughing

Anyway, you are a truly asset of this forum and the effort you spend sure wouldn't go unnoticed.

Thanks Christvh. Just trying to put something back into the game that's given me so much. Cool

Pick the right angle of approach
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 12

Blue 303
White 262
Red 236
Index 16
Par 4

A mid-length upslope hole, teasing you to take the driver. There's a nice bunker waiting for you if you get the distance wrong. Do the smart thing and lay up with a 3-wood. Your next approach shot should be on nicely. Remember, the green doesn't bite, so land short.

And in order to do a bump and run up to the green, you need to be on the right. Watch out for the bunkers there though.

Why didn't this occur to me while I was playing? That's why I did a double-bogey. Darn.

I must learn to think on my feet during a game. That's why course management is important. You can save some strokes just by planning ahead.

Last edited by Lee36328 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

YHL
Nagaria Captain (2010)

846 MYGOLF
Lee36328 wrote:
AccidentalGolfer, you crack me up dude. Thanks for the nice compliment. It's always nice to be appreciated.

Michelle, thanks also for your lovely compliments. I considered starting this thread in the golf course section, but I found out only moderators can start a thread there. I saw the Glenmarie thread, and found out it ended with a sombre warning on the locker there. I did not want to withdraw attention from that; I think members should know about it. And since I wanted to focus on a discussion on course management as a whole rather than a review of how a specific course played, I decided to start the thread here. I'll be adding my experience on this topic from the various courses I play, so this thread will grow with a focus on course management, not specific to a particular course. That's the plan anyways.... BTW, how does one go about moving a thread to another location? I searched but couldn't find the button...

I see your point there...no worries, just ignore my comments earlier and continue with whatever you are doing now. Should you need to move this thread to another site, there isn't any button to do this...you can only reply as "this thread has been moved to XXX (give us the link)"

Alternatively, guide the readers at "Glenmarie Golf Course" to this thread by typing a note there and put up the link. Both ways work fine I think Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by YHLSend private messageVisit poster's website
Birdie opportunity
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 13

Blue 144
White 135
Red 122
Index 14
Par 3

Go left and your putt will be uphill, much better. If you pull, the slope will kick it back down. But measure your distance carefully to overshoot into the bunker.

I duffed my shot and made a bogey.

Sponsor
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
YHL wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:

I see your point there...no worries, just ignore my comments earlier and continue with whatever you are doing now. Should you need to move this thread to another site, there isn't any button to do this...you can only reply as "this thread has been moved to XXX (give us the link)"

Alternatively, guide the readers at "Glenmarie Golf Course" to this thread by typing a note there and put up the link. Both ways work fine I think Smile

Good idea Michelle. I'll add a link there. Thanks!

Long and to the right
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 14

Blue 463
White 441
Red 407
Index 8
Par 5

This hole will test both your driving accuracy and length.

Can you do a fade? This is what the hole calls for. The trees on the right are mature, and tend to catch the straight shots. Keep left, but watch for the slopes. A 3-wood might be a safer bet here, but you'll have a longer 2nd shot as this hole is quite long. Decisions, decisions. Who says driving is not as important as the short game? You gotta get to the green first.

Managed to get a bogey here. Luckily my driver has settled down.

Sand, sand everywhere!
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 15

Blue 339
White 310
Red 294
Index 2
Par 4

The course map is out dated, and they've enlarged the left bunker to trap you tee off, so watch out for it.

Again, I would aim right to get a clear approach to the non-biting green to try a bump and run up. This is the 2nd most difficult hole and you're going to need all the help you can get. If you approach from the center, with the glassy green, there's little chance of holding on.

I found this out the hard way. My approach shot was right on the target line, landed before the hole, but it rolled off anyway. Got a double bogey. Darn those slippery greens!

Another beauty that rewards planning
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 16

Blue 324
White 310
Red 278
Index 12
Par 4

This is another gorgeous looking hole. It slopes down menacingly to broad body of water, and you've got to carry that watery valley to get to the green on the other side. But it's harmless if you negotiate it correctly.

First, look for the distance marker right down the center line. That's the 100m marker. Aim for that with a 3-wood (it's sloping down, remember.) From there, it's an easy PW or 9iron to the green. If in doubt, use the 9 iron, and let the slope catch you if you overshoot. But chipping back down requires a good touch.

I took a 9 iron, overshot the green, and chipped into gimme distance. My first par for the day!

Intimidating Par 3
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 17

Blue 174
White 151
Red 130
Index 6
Par 3

This is another beautiful and intimidating hole that tests your nerve. It's a par 3 that needs to carry another deep watery valley.

Whatever you do, don't leave it short as it's quite an uphill slope, difficult to judge your chip. Go long, and the slope will limit the damage.

I've concluded the green is actually level to the tee box because I took a 3-hybrid and it landed true to my hybrid distance of around 180m. Which of course meant that I overshot it.

Being an index 6, the green was quite lumpy, and I had to chip delicately on to one of those lumps and roll it back down. The ball hit the flagstick and stayed within inches of the hole. I was ecstatic with my 2nd par of the day on this 6th hardest hole and did my best TW impression. This is why I LOVE this game!

Sponsor
Layup!? Attack!? Beginner's point of view on course mgt