Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic MGA Announces The Return Of Malaysian Open

MGA Announces The Return Of Malaysian Open
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3531 MYGOLF

MGA Announces Royal Patronage And Return Of The Prestigious Malaysian Open

3rd from left: Cho Minn Thant, Chief Executive Officer, Asian Tour, Tang Meng Loon, Kota Permai GCC Director, Tan Sri Mohd Anwar Mohd Nor, MGA President, Zulkifly Said, Tourism Malaysia Deputy Director General and Arep Kulal, Chief Executive Officer Winning Matters.

Kuala Lumpur, 16 December 2019: The Malaysian Golf Association (MGA), golf’s national governing body, today made two announcements that will surely bring excitement to the local and regional golfing scenes.

The first announcement was the appointment of DYMM Seri Paduka Baginda Yang Dipertuan Agong, Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah as the Royal Patron of the Malaysian Golf Association.

“MGA is honoured that His Majesty has graciously consented to accept as the Royal Patron of the Malaysian Golf Association, which is a first for the Association,” said MGA President, Tan Sri Mohd Anwar Mohd Nor. “MGA is indeed blessed with the patronage and honoured that His Majesty shared MGA’s aspirations and objectives to further develop and promote the sports of golf in the country.”

An ardent sportsman and a golf enthusiast himself, the King’s patronage will most definitely ignite, reaffirm and reinforce MGA’s long term objectives, aspirations and endeavors to promote and develop golf in Malaysia.

“I am pleased to note that the Malaysian Golf Association has been tirelessly and continuously working to develop golf in the country, not only as a sport but also as an industry that can contribute to the country’s economy. I believe there’s a lot more that can be done to further develop the game in the country, such as enhancing junior development program to unearth more talents that will represent the country in the future. I am happy to work with MGA and contribute towards achieving these objectives,” said His Majesty.

“The success of our Ladies team to win the Silver Medal at the recent SEA Games proved that our players are head and shoulders equal, if not better, in comparison to golfers from other countries in this region. I am confident that with our concerted efforts, we can make Malaysia a regional golf powerhouse,” His Majesty further added.

Tan Sri Mohd Anwar Mohd Nor, MGA President.

The second announcement shed lights on the country’s prestigious national Open. After a four-year hiatus, MGA’s flagship event, the Malaysian Open will make its come back on Tour with the staging of the championship’s 55th edition from March 5-8, 2020 at Kota Permai Golf & Country Club.

Carrying the tagline “PRIDE, PASSION, PROMINENCE”, the Malaysian Open 2020 offers a total prize money of US$1,000,000 (approximately RM4.16 Million) with the champion cashing in US$180,000 (approximately RM750,000). As the championship will be sanctioned by the Asian Tour in partnership with the Japan Golf Tour Organisation (JGTO), golf fans will get the chance to watch top Malaysian players teeing up against leading Asian and Japan Tour players.

“The Malaysian Open is arguably the most prestigious and long-standing professional golf event in the region. It has provided a platform for Malaysian professional golfers and amateurs ample opportunities to compete against some of the best players from around the world, such as Rory McIlroy, Martin Kaymer, Louis Oouisthuizen, Thongchai Jaidee, Lee Westwood, Ernie Els and Charles Schwartzel,” said Tan Sri Anwar.

Tan Sri Anwar further added: “For the 2020 edition, 40 slots will be offered to our local players, comprising 30 slots reserved for eligible Malaysian professionals and 10 slots for Malaysian amateurs made up of national players and top Malaysian juniors. We hope that our Malaysian players will take this opportunity to train hard to compete with their peers from the Asian and Japan Tours and vie for the top honours in this Championship.”

Cho Minn Thant, Asian Tour Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer, lauded the return of the Malaysian Open on the Asian Tour. “I would like to express our gratitude to the Malaysian Golf Association for their outstanding support of the game at the highest level in Asia. The tournament’s return to our schedule is a massive boost for the Tour as we continue to strive in promoting professional golf across Asia.

“Malaysia has always been a key market for the Asian Tour. The return of the country’s National Open will not only inspire a new generation of Malaysian golfers but also create further opportunities for our members to showcase their talents,” said Cho.

The VIPs launching the Malaysian Open 2020 new logo.

Arep Kulal, Winning Matters Chief Executive Officer, meanwhile said: “We’re proud to be the event promoter for the Malaysian Open, the country’s most storied professional golf championship. We are planning a host of exciting activities leading up to the event week, which will be announced in due time. Of course, our aim is to make this event a World Class Professional Golf Tournament and we will spare no efforts to achieve this.”

“Furthermore, with next year being the Visit Malaysia Year 2020, we will strive to make the Malaysian Open 2020, with the strong support from the media, an exciting Championship that will generate positive publicity for the game highlighting the country as a top notch golf destination in this region. This hopefully will contribute towards attracting more golf tourists to our shores,” he added.

This will be the second time Kota Permai Golf & Country Club’s 6,382-metre, par 72 championship layout is hosting the Malaysian Open and if the first edition in 2008 is any yardstick, the 2020 edition promises a thrilling week. In 2008, India’s Arjun Atwal blazed the course with an 8-under-par 64 final round for 18-under-par 270 total to force a playoff where he eventually prevailed against defending champion Peter Hedblom of Sweden. It was Atwal’s second Malaysian Open win.

“Indeed, the Malaysian Open remains close to the hearts of all Malaysian golfers and hosting the event after its four-year hiatus is a huge honour for our team, our members and the Club as a whole. We are sure that our members will be out in force to catch the 156-player field of local and international stars displaying their golfing prowess over the four days, and as host venue, we are confident that players, officials and supporters will have a positively enjoyable and memorable experience,” said Tang Meng Loon, Director of Club Operations, Township & Property Management.

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
gordon042

173 MYGOLF
Fantastic to see the Malaysian Open made a return. Looking forward to it already.

Irons: PXG 0311 (5-PW)
Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 - 50 / 56 / 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab No.7
Balls : Srixon Z-Star

"What's my handicap? Use to be my slice.. now I am fighting hooks!"

www.kaki-golf.blogspot.com
Sponsor
MGA Announces The Return Of Malaysian Open