Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic CK East-Golf Malaysia ‘Champion of Champions’ 2018

CK East-Golf Malaysia ‘Champion of Champions’ 2018
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3476 MYGOLF
CK East-Golf Malaysia ‘Champion of Champions’ Championship 2018

From left: Andrew Ng, General Manager, Golf Malaysia magazine, Lim Kian Chong, Senior Champion, Angel Hii, Ladies Champion, Low Suck Sun, Men’s Champion and Ng Chong Kiat, Managing Director, CK East Group.

Shah Alam, 18 August 2018: The 32nd hosting of this unique two-day tournament, originally conceived to bring the champions of golf clubs from Malaysia and Singapore together to duke it out for honours on an annual basis, was as expected – competitive, friendly and successful.

Three champions were crowned with Green Jackets, Men, Women and Senior, at Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Golf Club, Shah Alam, August 18, and with the sponsorship of premier property developer CK East Group, the occasion also offered to all who participated the opportunity to win a hole-in-one prize of a property voucher worth RM300,000.

With much on the line to play for, in no small part because Official Equipment sponsor Srixon Sports Asia had an array of their latest golf equipment and accessories waiting to be presented once the winners were declared, it was every player for themselves when the blare of the horn heralded the start of play.

Scheduled to be played over 36 holes, the winners were declared on first day scores, because rain halted proceedings on Day 2 after just four holes.

There is a silver lining to everything, and Low Suck Sun, 62, knows that best. He arrived thinking he was registered for the Senior category only to find his club entered him as the Men’s champion, but that did not daunt him and he emerged champion, claiming the Green Jacket, US Masters style.

Low, a one-handicap and a 20-year golf veteran at Staffield Country Resort, Mantin, shot a gross 73. For comparison, the Senior winner, Lim Kian Chong, 60, a four-handicap, turned in a gross 74.

A retired electrical contractor, Low keeps his game sharp because it’s a “source of income”, taking to the golf course three or four times a week, with a select group of friends. He holds up his right hand and rubs his thumb and index finger together indicating money, money, money. As he puts it – “can survive, lah”.

As for Seniors’ champion Lim, he made it a hat-trick this year and attributed his success to practice, practice, practice, which he does diligently, once a week at the very least. SAASGCC and Glenmarie Golf & Country Club are his home courses, preferring the latter for the more friends he has over there.

Even if the Champions event this time had gone the full distance, he fancied his chances of winning because he was on a roll, paring the four holes he played before the rain came. As a district manager with AIA, the insurance giant, he has closed many a deal, thanks to golf.

“It’s a great game and it has taught me patience, just what I need in doing insurance work. Add how to stay focused and there you have it, an ideal game for him. It’s a game that has instilled patience in him, a quality that serves him well while playing, especially in competitions. A hat-trick of wins in this particular tournament bore out his claim.

Speaking half in jest, he said he thought his feat would have allowed him to keep the Challenge trophy, but it was not to be, and he was awarded an exquisite Bohemia crystal trophy that he can proudly add to his growing collection.

But, if there was anybody who stole the show, it had to be Angel Hii, just 14. A 2-handicap, the Sarawakian, shot a six-over 77 to win the Ladies category. This Sarawak Golf Club member won the Ladies club championship last year to earn her right to be at the Champions gathering.

She had taken to golf when she was seven and hasn’t looked back since, playing in competitions whenever she can. A younger brother, Saxon, aged 12 and a six-handicap, also plays competitive golf.

She’s in an international school in Kuching and already has her sights on a college golf in America, leading to a, yeah, a pro career, if all goes according to plan. The way she comes across, articulate, confident and with poise, indicate a dream come true assuredly, barring the unforeseen.

Parents are providing 100 per cent support. In fact, dad, once in the motor business, now manages everything at home and takes care of her and brother, while mum gives her all to the restaurant she owns. She used to golf, but not anymore.

“It was my dad who made me try out golf and I just loved it. He’s just great, encouraging me even when I don’t do well in competitions and feel down. I am very lucky.

“I made changes to my swing and I feel better, now that I have won here.” she added.
For idols, she has Michelle Wie and Brooke Henderson.

Currently, she and brother have latched onto a coach from Thailand, going to see him whenever possible, while he flies out to them when he can. Dad is on hand to watch intently and video record and make sure they stick to the game plan.

Academically, Angel’s into philosophy, psychology and English literature, subjects that can be seen as helpful to what she intends to do with her life – the mental aspects and drama she will have to face.

Runner-up to Low in the Men’s division was Ruhanraj Vinayagam from Royal Pahang Golf Club with 74 gross. He was followed by a trio who returned rounds of 75, namely Muhd. Afzal Mhd. Zubir representing KRTU, Alan Chong Chek Fei, Kota Permai Golf & Country Club and Loh Jun You, Nilai Springs Golf & Country Club. Sixth, seventh and eighth was also decided on countback after all returned 77s – Lee Kah Ching, Miri Golf Club, Mohd. Shahidi, Ayer Keroh Country Club and Muhamad Syafiq Abd. Rahman, Kuala Kangsar Golf Club. The final prizes went to Nuralif Mohd. Zahari, Tiara Melaka Golf & Country Club in ninth, on 78, on countback over Amir Benno, Danau Golf Club in 10th.

Dr. Zalani Khuzaimah from UPM Padang Golf picked up the prize for Best Nett (70).

In the Women’s division, Dato’ Azlina Abdul Aziz from Kota Permai Golf & Country Club, was runner-up to Angel with a round of 81.Third place went to Dania Lau Sook Wan of Royal Selangor Golf Club (84) and Mychelle Tai, Tropicana Golf & Country Club, pipped Fatimah Rosli Impian Golf & Country Club for fourth on when both carded rounds of 87.

Pat Lai Pik Chun, Glenmarie Golf & Country Club earned the Best Nett prize (70).

Kelab Golf Negara Subang’s champion, Wong Hong Nung, narrowly lost out in the Senior category, carding a round of 75, while third to fifth placing was decided on countback when all finished with 78s.

Kamarulzaman Abu Saman from Danau Golf Club placed third, Lee Chock Khai, KRTU, fourth and Eric Foo Hwa Peng, Saujana Golf & Country Club, fifth.

The Best Nett went to Calvin Wong Chin Tong, Ponderosa Golf & Country Club (69).

There were a number of novelty contests scattered throughout the course and the Longest Drive rewarded representatives in the three main divisions. The Men’s prize went to Ruhanraj Vinadaga, Royal Pahang Golf Club with a 258 metre effort, Dania Lau Sook Wan of Royal Selangor Golf Club drove 202 metres to claim the Women’s prize and Eric Foo Hwa Peng of Saujana Golf & Country Club claimed the Senior prize with an impressive 267 metre shot that outstripped even the Men’s distance.

The big draw card, should a hole-in-one have occurred, was at Hole 2 on the Alam Shah Nine where a RM300,000 CK East Property Voucher was hanging in the balance. Unfortunately when Day 2 got washed out so too did this golden opportunity, but the golfers took it in their stride.

For the really lucky among the crowd there were numerous prizes golf-lovers hanker after and a number of extremely attractive Grand Lucky Draw prizes to be given away as well. These included a set of Wilson irons, Titoni watch, Liberty Golf vacation and property vouchers courtesy of CK East Group.

Golf Malaysia General Manager Andrew Ng thanked golfers and sponsors for keeping the event going, with a special mention for title sponsor CK East Group, a property developer of distinction.

Other parties that played an important role included Official Equipment Srixon Sports Asia, Liberty Golf, Titoni, David Physiotherapy, Wilson Golf, Cobra, Grindworks, Vega, SweetLife, Rudy, Impiana Hotel KL, SunPlay, Carlsberg, Spritzer, Tropicana Golf & Country Club and Templer Park Country Club.

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
CK East-Golf Malaysia ‘Champion of Champions’ 2018