[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 685 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Reply to topic 24 Countries Confirmed For Nomura Cup

24 Countries Confirmed For Nomura Cup
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3419 MYGOLF
24 Countries Confirmed Taking Part In The 2017 Asia Pacific Amateur Team Golf Championsip For The Nomura Cup

17th hole of Sungai Long Golf & Country Club

Kuala Lumpur, 25 September 2017: Sungai Long Golf & Country Club, one of the most challenging golf courses in the country will play host to the 2017 Nomura Cup from November 9-12.

The Championship will be played on a stroke play format over 4 rounds. Each team from the Asia Pacific shall be represented by 4 or 3 members and the top 3 best scores will count towards the team overall score. The country will be strongly represented with entries from the members of the MGA national players, which will be finalized and announced soon. We hope that our players will give their all and finish strong in the Championship.

No doubt, it won’t be easy as they will be up against leading amateurs from regional powerhouses the likes of Australia, Korea, Japan, Singapore and Thailand. Other countries that have confirmed taking part are Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, China, Taiwan, Guam, Hong Kong, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Philippines, Myanmar, Nepal, Iran, UAE, Fiji, New Zealand and Malaysia.

“I would like to thank Sungai Long Golf & Country Club for readily coming on board to host the Championship”, said Tan Sri Mohd Anwar Mohd Nor, President of the Malaysian Golf Association. “I am especially grateful to our Sponsors for supporting the event and continuing to support the MGA.”

Designed by the legend himself, Sungai Long Golf & Country Club is the first Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course in Malaysia. Established in 1992, the golf course’s challenging layout and immaculate fairways made them one of the favourites among the local golfers.

“We are delighted at the opportunity this partnership with our Governing Body, MGA presents for the Asia Pacific’s top amateur Championships. This will be a memorable weekend of elite golf for the local golfing enthusiasts”, said Jack Wong, Chief Executive Officer of Sungai Long Golf & Country Club. “It certainly affirms our Club’s commitment to support MGA and subsequently promote the game of golf in the country”.

Inaugurated in 1963, the Championship was held biennially and rotated amongst the member countries of the APGC. After a lapse of 24 years, the Championship finally came to Malaysia to be staged at the Jack Nicklaus’ signature course, the Sungai Long Golf & Country Club. The other 2 times Malaysia hosted was in 1977 and 1993 and both times, the Royal Selangor Golf Club hosted it.

Considered as one of the most prestigious amateur golf team championships in the region, the Nomura Cup is often regarded as the final benchmark for top amateur players contemplating their next move in the game. Often, it serves as the ultimate checkpoint for these players before setting on their journey in the paid ranks.

The last Nomura Cup was held at Yas Links, Abu Dhabi and Team Japan was crowned the Champion while Malaysia finished 10th placing. Malaysia’s best Nomura Cup finish was third placing in 1977 represented by Shabuddin Yusof, Tan Yee Khan and Eshak Bluah.

“We hope our team will do their best this year and emulate the Malaysia’s feat in 1977. I know this is a tall order but we have faith in our players.” said C C Boo, National Team Chairman who is also the MGA Vice President.

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
24 Countries Confirmed For Nomura Cup