Most users ever online was 1775 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:01 am

Reply to topic Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship 2016

Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship 2016
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3541 MYGOLF

Shaaban Leads By 1-Stroke At The Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship

Bedong, 2 March 2016: Shaaban Hussin took the first round lead of the Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour’s Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship today after firing a six-under 66.
With only one blemish on his card – a bogey at the par-4 17th hole – Shaaban made light work of the Harvard Golf & Country Club in Kedah to get off to a fine start in the RMM180,000 tournament.

Hot on his trail was a three-way tie for second place where S. Siva Chandhran, Kemarol Baharin and Mohamad Zamri Sariff were just a stroke back.

Khor Kheng Hwai, who has also shown flashes of some good form in the early part of this season, was on four-under 68 in fifth place.

Recently turned pro Low Khai Jei, Sukree Othman, Keegan Kam, M. Sasidaran and amateur player Muhammad Irfan Harraz were bunched on three-under 69 in a tie for sixth, while Brandon Lau and R. Nachimuthu were joint 11th, another shot adrift on 70.

Happy with his start, Shaaban said afterwards: “I have been improving lately and I’m working on carrying on in the same direction.”

“I have got over some of the injury, although not all of it, but I am continuing to work at a few things in training.”

“I made the made the cut at Maybank Championship in Kuala Lumpur two weeks ago but didn't finish too well. Hopefully, I’ll stay pain-free and try to go all the way here,” added Shaaban, who is a multiple winner on the PGM Tour.”

Siva Chandhran also said he was pleased with his start and was looking to play the rest of the week with more consistency.

“If I can do that I’ll give myself a chance at having a shot at the title on Saturday,” he added. “I drove the ball well today and I putted well too. I gave myself a few chances at birdie and that nice.”

Siva Chandhran, who was three-under over the last four holes, said of the course: “It’s dry but the green are in good condition.”

Day 1 Leaderboard

66 Shaaban Hussin
67 S. Siva Chandhran, Kemarol Baharin, Mohamad Zamri Sariff
68 Khor Kheng Hwai
69 Low Khai Jei, Sukree Othman, Keegan Kam, M. Sasidaran, Muhammad Irfan Harraz (A)
70 Brandon Lau, R. Nachimuthu
71 Mohd Rizam Ali, Mohamad Rizal Amin, Kenneth De Silva, Airil Rizman Zahari, Mohamed Hafis Kamarudin, Kenneth Tobuse, Shahriffuddin Ariffin, Kim Leun Kwang, Mohd Amli Mohiyadeen

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 1:
Day 1 Result

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
Day 2
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3541 MYGOLF

Shaaban Maintains One Shot Lead At The Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship

Bedong, 3 March 2016: An outstanding birdie blitz at the end of his round saw Shaaban Hussin retain his lead after the second day of the Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour’s Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship today.

With a one-shot overnight lead, Shaaban moved to nine-under 135 at the halfway stage of the RMM180,000 tournament at Harvard Golf & Country Club in Kedah, signing for a 69.

That left young Brandon Lau, who fired a six-under 66, and Sukree Othman, who carded a 67, in second place on 136.

Low Khai Jei had a 68 and was fourth on seven-under, while Kemarol Baharin signed for a 71 and fifth spot on 138.

There was four-way tie for sixth place where Iylia Jamil, who carded the low round of the day with a 65, Shahriffuddin Ariffin (68), R. Nachimuthu (69) and Khor Kheng Hwai (71) were bunched on five-under-par 139.

Shaaban, who made light work of the Harvard layout on the opening day with a six-under round, got off to shaky start today before he birdied the last five holes in a row to retain his place at the top of the leaderboard.

Now one of the senior players on the PGM Tour and a multiple winner on the circuit, Shaaban went three-over after the first four holes. He doublebogeyed the par-5 3rd and bogeyed the 4th hole before coming back with a birdie at the 9th.

He went even-par for the first four holes from the 10th and then turned on the style. Birdies from the 14ththrough to the last hole brought the overnight leader back into it as he maintained his narrow margin at the top.

Twenty-two year-old Lau, who only turned pro in the second half of last year after returning from college at California Tech, said he was delighted that his putting helped him go low today.

“I've been hitting the ball solid, just as I did yesterday, but today the putts dropped and that made the difference.”

“The green speed here seems to suit my putting and that’s what swayed it for me,” he added.
Iylia, who won at Darulaman towards the end of last season, said he too was pleased with how it went today, a seven-under effort that was blemish-free.

“It was one of those days that you really enjoy out there,” he said. “I played good golf that was bogey-free and hopefully I can continue with it.”

For Iylia it was a nine-shot swing on his first round, after starting with a two-over 74.

Day 2 Leaderboard

135 Shaaban Hussin 66-69
136 Brandon Lau 70-66, Sukree Othman 69-67
137 Low Khai Jei 69-68
138 Kemarol Baharin 67-71
139 Iylia Jamil 74-65, Shahriffuddin Ariffin 71-68, R. Nachimuthu 70-69, Khor Kheng Hwai 68-71
140 Airil Rizman 71-69, Mohamad Rizal Amin 71-69, Keegan Kam 69-71, Kenneth Tobuse 71-70, Kenneth De Silva 71-70, Mohamad Zamri Sariff 67-74

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 2:
Day 2 Result

Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Sponsor
Day 3
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3541 MYGOLF

Shaaban Leads Opens up Two-Stroke Lead At The Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship

Shaaban Hussin

Bedong, 4 March 2016: With just one day to go, Shaaban Hussin extended his lead to two strokes after the third round of the Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour’s Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship today.

After starting the day with a one-shot cushion at the top of the leaderboard, Shaaban climbed to 12-under 204 in the RMM180,000 tournament at Harvard Golf & Country Club in Kedah. He carded a 69 that set him up nicely for a crack at the crown.

His round had six birdies in it and they were welcome after he stumbled to two-over-par after five holes. Shaaban gave shots back at the 4th and 5th holes with bogeys.

But he steadied his ship with birdies at the 7th, 10th and 12th holes, before another birdie crept on to his scorecard at the 14th hole.

However, birdies at the last two holes did him proud and ensured he would be in the championship flight tomorrow.

Iylia Jamil, who signed for a 65 yesterday, came back with a 67 today and that left him in second place on 10-under 206.

Kenneth De Silva fired the best round of the day when he returned with a six-under 66. He moved up to third on 9-under 207, another shot back.

Sukree Othman, who looked in fine touch over the first two days, could only manage an even-par 72 today and that meant he was alone in fourth place on eight-under 208.

Khor Kheng Hwai (70) and Low Khai Jei (72) were joint fifth another stroke adrift on seven-under 209.
The fourth and final day tomorrow looks set for a nail-biting finish. The course is playing rather friendly and with so many players in with a shout for the top-prize, more than a few twists and turns are expected.

Tournament director, Brid. Gen (R) Ron Mahendran, indeed, said they were looking forward to a tight finale as the leading players battle it out to establish supremacy.

“It should be a close finish tomorrow. There are several players with a good chance of taking the trophy,” he said.

“However, Shaaban will be favourite to pull it off as he goes into the last round with a two-shot advantage.

“He has won before on the Tour so he will know what to do to win again. But the chasing will be just as keen to catch up and pull ahead, so it should be quite interesting,” he added.

Day 3 Leaderboard

204 Shaaban Hussin 66-69-69
206 Iylia Jamil 74-65-67
207 Kenneth De Silva 71-70-66
208 Sukree Othman 69-67-72
209 Khor Kheng Hwai 68-71-70, Low Khai Jei 69-68-72
210 S. Siva Chandhran 67-75-68, Kenneth Tobuse 71-70-69, Mohamad Rizal Amin 71-69-70, Airil Rizman 71-69-70, R. Nachimuthu 70-69-71, Brandon Lau 70-66-74
213 Kemarol Baharin 67-71-75

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 3:
Day 3 Result

Last edited by gbrian on Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Final Day
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3541 MYGOLF

Shaaban Wins The Title By Two Strokes At The Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship

Shaaban Hussin with his trophy.

Bedong, 5 March 2016: Shaaban Hussin wrapped up his first win in nearly two years when he won the Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour’s Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship today.

The 36-year-old maintained his two-shot overnight lead to make sure of the RM30,600 first prize cheque and the trophy with a final round two-under 70.

Now one of the senior players on the domestic circuit, Shaaban finished with a 14-under 274 total in the RMM180,000 tournament at Harvard Golf & Country Club in Kedah.

Teenager Low Khai Jei and Iylia Jamil were joint runners-up and went home with a RM16,389 apiece.
Khai Jei fired a five-under 67 to climb to 12-under, while Iylia also had a two-under 70 in the last round.

Khor Kheng Hwai was fourth on 11-under 277 after a final round 68, while S. Siva Chandhran also closed out the event with four-under round. He was fifth, another stroke back on 278.

Airil Rizman had a 69 and finished in sixth place on nine-under-par, with Brandon Lau (71) joint seventh alongside Sukree Othman (73) and Kenneth De Silva (74) on 281.

Delighted with his showing here, Shaaban said afterwards: “I have come close and played well since Orna 2014, but was not able to close out any of those events.

“Here I started well (with a 66) and kept up the consistency (with rounds of 69-69-70), which made the difference. I am very happy to have won again.”

Nineteen-year-old Khai Jei, who only turned pro last month and already has a win on the Tour, following his triumph at Orna as an amateur last year, said: “I played well today. And it might have been closer if I had done better on the last hole. I messed up my second shot there and ended up with a par. A birdie was what I was looking for.”

“Anyway, I’m still happy with how I started (69-68) and finished today. The third round yesterday (72) let me down. But I will carry on working at trying to improve,” added the lad who only turns 20 in June.
Iylia, too, said he was pleased with his week’s work at Harvard.

“Overall it was good because I came into some form only recently and here I gave myself a shot at the title. It came up short but I can take positives from it and try to build on it,” he added.

Final Day Leaderboard

274 Shaaban Hussin 66-69-69-70
276 Low Khai Jei 69-68-72-67, Iylia Jamil 74-65-67-70
277 Khor Kheng Hwai 68-71-70-68
278 S. Siva Chandhran 67-75-68-68
279 Airil Rizman 71-69-70-69
281 Brandon Lau 70-66-74-71, Sukree Othman 69-67-72-73, Kenneth De Silva 71-70-66-74
282 Shahriffuddin Ariffin 71-68-75-68

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Final Day:
Final Day Result

ST

884 MYGOLF
what a tragedy...hope he get well soon.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/golf/2016/04/01/pgam-are-saddened-by-shaabans-plight-value-his-contributions/
Sponsor
simivan

706 MYGOLF
ST wrote:
what a tragedy...hope he get well soon.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/golf/2016/04/01/pgam-are-saddened-by-shaabans-plight-value-his-contributions/

At the recent Maybank Championship I was with his flight for Day 1 & 2, he gave me his glove which I gave to another fellow volunteer as I never wear gloves and his ball after day 1. A very decent bloke, he made the cut and could have finished higher up the field if not for the "usual distractions".
Very unfortunate and sad thing to happen but I'm sure he will recover well and continue on perhaps as a teaching pro or some other golf related career in the near future.
Sime Darby Harvard Closed Championship 2016