In total there are 481 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 481 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 1775 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:01 am

Reply to topic man made obstruction

man made obstruction
leonylleong

3 MYGOLF
When you tee off and your ball lands on the rough next to the fairway about 20 feet away from workers digging a drain and the work area is covered by a protective netting. Your view of the green is obstructed by the said netting. Strictly speaking are you allowed relief to place your ball in the fairway to continue the game claiming man made obstruction. It is similar to picking up your ball to play in the fairway when it had landed in the rough in front of an unattended tractor obstructing your view of the green. What is your opinion of this scenario ? Btw. this occurred at the long par 5 at Danau.
magic

2858 MYGOLF
if the club practices the standard, those area should be marked as "GUR -Ground Under Repair".

Now, the club does not do so, therefore it comes to the debate between the players. Especially when betting involved, the debate could be even worse.

To my opinion and the "silence rules" in my group, we take it as free relief.
View user's profileFind all posts by magicSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Sponsor
okwoon

367 MYGOLF
I believe the protective netting is for the safety of the workers... As Magic said, the club should have taken further measures to ensure the workers' safety by marking off the area from being played.

In this respect, presently at KRTU 8th hole (par4 after the island par3hole), white tee box is now under repairs with a tall crane sitting there. The blue tee box is currently not in use. So now, the red tee box is used for all, ie red, white and blue tee markers are all on it. If not, someone teeing off the blue tee box at the back may hit a worker or the crane on the white tee box with his ball to ricochet back to the blue tee box.

Kudos to KRTU for the safety consideration to all, workers and players.
Downhill

53 MYGOLF
Refering to the rules of golf, you can only take relief if the ball is in the fence or net of the construction, or if your stance or swing will be interfered by the net. if the net obstructs your view of the green or line of target, it cannot come under the ruling of taking relief from a immovable obstruction. same case with the tractor in the rough story, you have to go over it or pitch sideways.
if your golf group can agree on some local ruling about taking free relief from the situation then that is allowed
leonylleong

3 MYGOLF
Thank you Sifus for the clarifications.Happy Golfing. Cheers.
Sponsor
okwoon

367 MYGOLF
Safari wrote:
Refering to the rules of golf, you can only take relief if the ball is in the fence or net of the construction, or if your stance or swing will be interfered by the net. if the net obstructs your view of the green or line of target, it cannot come under the ruling of taking relief from a immovable obstruction. same case with the tractor in the rough story, you have to go over it or pitch sideways.
if your golf group can agree on some local ruling about taking free relief from the situation then that is allowed

I think Safari has rightly quoted the authority under Rule 24-2. The Rule does not provide for relief if there is an obstruction of view or line of play.

In the case of the protective netting as leonylleong enquired on, Rule 24-2 still applies unless there is a local rule (issued by the club) to provide for relief. [Decision 33-8/18].

If there is no such local rule enforced, then strictly speaking, the golfers are not allowed to come out with their own rule to provide for the relief. Remember the golden rule of golf is not to waive any Rules.
Downhill

53 MYGOLF
okwoon wrote:
Safari wrote:

I think Safari has rightly quoted the authority under Rule 24-2. The Rule does not provide for relief if there is an obstruction of view or line of play.

In the case of the protective netting as leonylleong enquired on, Rule 24-2 still applies unless there is a local rule (issued by the club) to provide for relief. [Decision 33-8/18].

If there is no such local rule enforced, then strictly speaking, the golfers are not allowed to come out with their own rule to provide for the relief. Remember the golden rule of golf is not to waive any Rules.

You are quite right about not waiving any rules. But considering that this country offers cheaper golfing at the expense of course maintenance, we quickly forget how a golfcourse is supposed to be. if it's a tournament you will be damned. but if its just your buddy foursome, a local ruling agreed upon all of yall is acceptable. A ball has to be played as it lies. But even the pros practice lift clean and place and win tournaments with these local rules. It is which way you see it. I played in a tournament recently and had my ball plugged in the rough because it was soaked. I could not get relief after discussing with my flightmates. But you will see profesional golfers getting relief under casual water ruling in these situations. It is just that it rarely occurs to them because they are playing on pristine courses.
man made obstruction