[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic Panasonic Open Malaysia 2015 – Tournament of Champions

Panasonic Open Malaysia 2015 – Tournament of Champions
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3529 MYGOLF

No Surpises On Opening Day At Panasonic Open Malaysia 2015 - Tournament of Champions

From left: Kemarol Baharin (MAS), Mardan Mamat (SIN) and Wisut Artjanawat (THA).

Rawang, 7 January 2015: As the Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour season got underway with the opening round of the RM250,000 Panasonic Open Malaysia – Tournament of Champions at Templer Park Country Club in Rawang today, there were no major surprises in store.

There was a three-way tie at the top of the leaderboard where defending champion Kemarol Baharin shot a bogey-free three-under 69 and was matched by Singapore’s Mardan Mamat and Wisut Artjanawat Thailand.

In fourth spot, a shot further back, was another Thai, Kwanchai Tannin, who might have had an even better day, had it not been for a couple of bogeys along the way – one of them at the par-5 15th hole.

A quartet of Malaysians – Shaaban Hussin, Danny Chia, amateur player Gavin Green and Nicholas Fung – was joint one-under-par 71, as was Japan’s Mitsuhiko Hashizume.

Jhonnel Ababa of the Philippines, and Malaysia’s Kenneth De Silva and Arie Irawan were tied for 10th place on even-par 72.

With rain making the course play longer than it usually does, the top contenders did well to go under and with more rain forecast over the next three days, things should get a lot more interesting.

Indeed, this was the view of Shaaban, who said he was happy with his start and expected it to get tougher, rather than get easier.

“This is the first day of the new season, so anything could have happened,” said the multiple winner on the PGM Tour. “But I am happy with how I started – shooting one-under in these conditions is okay, I think.

“But it will get tougher over the next few days,” he added. “If it rains more it will make it more difficult. But we will all have to play in the same conditions, so we will see how it turns out.”

PGM Tour general manager, Mior Abdul Rahman, said they were excited about the new campaign and were looking forward to a bigger and better season.

“With more than RM6 million on offer in prize money and 43 tournaments in all, we have much to look forward to,” he added. “We are grateful for all the support we have again received from our sponsorship partners and hope that they will gain the benefits of all of us forging ahead in establishing a sustainable Tour for our pros.”

Day 1 Leaderboard

69 Kemarol Baharin (MAS), Mardan Mamat (SIN), Wisut Artjanawat (THA)
70 Kwanchai Tannin (THA)
71 Shaaban Hussin (MAS), Danny Chia (MAS), Mitsuhiko Hashizume (JPN), Gavin Kyle Green - AM (MAS), Nicholas Fung (MAS)
72 Jhonnel Ababa (PHI), Kenneth De Silva (MAS), Arie Irawan (MAS)
73 Sukree Othman (MAS), Masaru Takahashi (JPN)
74 Ben Leong (MAS), Peter Richardson (ENG), Md Rashid Ismail (MAS), James Bowen (US)

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 1:
Day 1 Result

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
Day 2
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3529 MYGOLF

Danny Chia Burns Templer Park With An Eight-Under 64

Danny Chia (MAS)

Rawang, 8 January 2015: Danny Chia tore Templer Park Country Club in Rawang to pieces today with a vintage performance that saw him climb to the top of the leaderboard of the Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour’s season-opening, the PGM Panasonic Open Malaysia - Tournament of Champions.

The veteran golfer, ranked the top player in the country, fired a flawless second round eight-under 64 to move a stroke clear of the field on nine-under 135 at the halfway stage of the RM250,000 event that is exclusive to winners on the Tour.

An eagle at the 12th hole and another two birdies before the end, followed four birdies over the first nine and were the telling points of a round that underscored Chia’s good form.

Having closed out last year in fine fashion, which saw him regain his top-ranking among Malaysians in the world standings, Chia said he might have come back with an even lower number today had he “not missed a couple of short putts.

“I hit the ball very well today, which is why I was able to shoot 64. And it could have been even better,” he added, “as I missed a couple of short putts.

“But I’m happy all the same as my approach play was also very good. I hit the ball close many times and just needed to tap-in.

“I also drove the ball very well, which I think was key to playing well today. I missed only one fairway and that really gave me the chance to set-up the birdie chances,” said Chia, who has twice won the opening event of a PGM Tour season (2012 and 2013).

Wisut Artjanawat (THA)

Thailand’s Wisut Artjanawat carded a second round five-under 67 to finish the day one stroke behind Chia on 136, while Singaporean Mardan Mamat had a 68 and was a shot further back on seven-under 137.

Kwanchai Tannin, also of Thailand, signed for a 69, and was joint fourth on five-under 139 with Kemarol Baharin (70), the defending champion.

Mardan Mamat (SIN)

Meanwhile, Kenneth De Silva (69) and amateur player Gavin Green (70), who won on this course last season, were another two strokes back on three-under 141, while the Malaysian trio of Ben Leong (68), Arie Irawan (69) and Nicholas Fung (71), was joint eighth on 142.

For the first time yet, this event carries world ranking points and also features players who have won on the Asian Development Tour (ADT).

Day 2 Leaderboard

135 Danny Chia (MAS) 71-64
136 Wisut Artjanawat (THA) 69-67
137 Mardan Mamat (SIN) 69-68
139 Kwanchai Tannin (THA) 70-69, Kemarol Baharin (MAS) 69-70
141 Kenneth De Silva (MAS) 72-69, Gavin Kyle Green - AM (MAS) 71-70
142 Ben Leong (MAS) 74-68, Arie Irawan (MAS) 73-69, Nicholas Fung (MAS) 71-71
144 James Bowen (US) 74-70, Jhonnel Ababa (PHI) 72-72, Shaaban Hussin (MAS) 71-73
145 Masaru Takahashi (JPN) 73-72, Sukree Othman (MAS) 73-72, Mitsuhiko Hashizume (JPN) 71-74

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 2:
Day 2 Result

Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Sponsor
geraldsaw

633 MYGOLF
Go Danny go. All Msian golfers being you.
Day 3
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3529 MYGOLF

Danny Chia Stretches Lead With Seven Strokes Into Final Day

Danny Chia (MAS)

Rawang, 9 January 2015: With another display of flawless golf, Danny Chia shot a five-under-par 67 to stretch his lead to a massive seven strokes in the Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour’s Panasonic Open Tournament of Champions after the third round at Templer Park Country Club in Rawang today.

The veteran Malaysian, top-ranked among his compatriots in the world standings, will go into the fourth and final day tomorrow with a lead that he does not look like losing, given his outstanding display up to this stage, where he finds himself with a 14-under 202 total for the tournament.

Chia’s bogey-free round sharply brought into focus his efforts as not only was it the best round of the day, but a mere four players in the top-18 managed to go under-par.

Understandably pleased with the way things are panning out, Chia said he would aim to just “continue playing” his own game and hopefully it would prove enough to secure the title.

“This is the biggest lead I’ve ever had on Tour going into the last round,” said the multiple winner. “And what I need to do now is make sure that I play my own game tomorrow (in the last round). I cannot afford to think about winning it now… I need to focus on the job in hand.”

Turning to his game as a whole, Chia said he remained comfortable with how he was striking the ball, although he did add that unlike yesterday when he carded a bogey-free 64, his driving off the tee was not as sharp.

“But I am still happy with how I am hitting the ball. My iron shots are giving me chances at birdie and when I have strayed off the mark, my recoveries have been good,” he added.

Mardan Mamat (SIN)

Singapore’s Mardan Mamat shot an even-par 72 to stay second on the leaderboard with a seven-under 209 total, while the country’s top-ranked amateur Gavin Kyle Green moved into a tie for third after a 69. He was joined on six-under with Thailand’s Wisut Artjanawat (74).

Kwanchai Tannin (73), also of Thailand, and defending champion Kemarol Baharin (73) were tied for fifth, another two strokes back on 212.

Kenneth De Silva (72) was alone in seventh place on three-under 213.

Galvin Kyle Green (MAS)

Day 3 Leaderboard

202 Danny Chia (MAS) 71-64-67
209 Mardan Mamat (SIN) 69-68-72
210 Gavin Kyle Green - AM (MAS) 71-70-69, Wisut Artjanawat (THA) 69-67-74
212 Kwanchai Tannin (THA) 70-69-73, Kemarol Baharin (MAS) 69-70-73
213 Kenneth De Silva (MAS) 72-69-72
214 Jhonnel Ababa (PHI) 72-72-70
215 Nicholas Fung (MAS) 71-71-73
216 Masaru Takahashi (JPN) 73-72-71, Shaaban Hussin (MAS) 71-73-72
217 Ben Leong (MAS) 74-68-75, Arie Irawan (MAS) 73-69-75
218 Sukree Othman (MAS) 73-72-73
219 Mitsuhiko Hashizume (JPN) 71-74-74

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 3:
Day 3 Result

Final Day
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3529 MYGOLF

Danny Chia Opened His New Campaign In Empathic Style

From left: Tun Ahmad Sarji (PGM Tour Chairman), Danny Chia (MAS) and Yosuke Matsunaga (MD of Panasonic Malaysia)

Rawang, 10 January 2015: Danny Chia opened his new campaign in empathic style as he won the Professional Golf of Malaysia “PGM Panasonic Open Malaysia - Tournament of Champions” by eight strokes at Templer Park Country Club in Rawang today.

The veteran Malaysian went into the fourth and final round of the RM250,000 event with a seven-stroke cushion over the field and closed out the season-opener with a two-under 70 to secure the title with a 16-under-par 272 total.

Pleased with his efforts that earned him the winner’s cheque of RM45,000 and world ranking points that will strengthen his position as the country’s top-ranked player – given that the tournament carries world ranking points – Chia said “it all went to plan.”

“I’ve been striking the ball well since the second half of last season and this whole week I was in that same frame of mind.

Danny Chia (MAS)

“My iron shots were good and they gave me many chances at birdie, while my driving was also good, although in the third round I did not drive it as well as I would have liked.

“My putting still needs some work on it, but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.

“It is always nice to win the first event of the season because it gives you momentum going forward,” added Chia, who retained his card on the Asian Tour for this season with a top-60 place on the Order of Merit.

Mardan Mamat (SIN)

Singapore’s Mardan Mamat shot a one-under 71 to finish on 280 and hold down second place, while the big mover of the day was Kenneth De Silva, who carded a three-under 69 and was tied for third, alongside amateur player Gavin Green (72). They were another two shots back on six-under 282.

Thailand’s Kwanchai Tannin (71) was fifth after signing for a five-under 283 total and defending champion Kemarol Baharin (72) sixth, another stroke adrift on 284.

Kenneth De Silva (MAS)

The next stop on the PGM Tour’s calendar is the RM180,000 Kinrara Closed Championship at Kinrara Golf Club in Puchong from January 21-24. Prior to that the PGM’s Development Tour will stage the Kinrara Qualifying School at Kinrara from January 13-15.

Final Day Leaderboard

272 Danny Chia (MAS) 71-64-67-70
280 Mardan Mamat (SIN) 69-68-72-71
282 Kenneth De Silva (MAS) 72-69-72-69, Gavin Kyle Green - AM (MAS) 71-70-69-72
283 Kwanchai Tannin (THA) 70-69-73-71
284 Kemarol Baharin (MAS) 69-70-73-72
286 Shaaban Hussin (MAS) 71-73-72-70, Wisut Artjanawat (THA) 69-67-74-76
287 Ben Leong (MAS) 74-68-75-70

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Final Day:
Final Day Result

Sponsor
Panasonic Open Malaysia 2015 – Tournament of Champions