Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 1775 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:01 am

Reply to topic Golf grip

Golf grip
BernieTanGolfPro
MyGolf Junior Golf Instructor

22 MYGOLF
Sometimes i feel it's really easy to forget what's important in golf swing. However i am currently reading a great book by Ben Hogan's five lessons and was reminded and would like to remind you all that GOOD GOLF BEGINS WITH A GOOD GRIP.

But so far, in golf instructions, i have seen many incorrect grips that played a part in a bad habit in a swing and today reading is definitely a good reminder and what I should continue to look at when correcting someone's swing.

What are your opinions?

Nagaria Committee (2010)

670 MYGOLF
Basic fundamentals... proper grip, proper posture, the rest should fall in place Very Happy

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action
Putter: Too many... i confuse myself

GOLF: To get a little white ball into the little white cup... how hard can it be..? Buy me a beer and i'll tell ya.. Smile
Sponsor
azri

206 MYGOLF
Definitely, fundamental is important.. It's the base foundation. I remember when I started playing.. Was shanking everywhere.. And very inconsistent shots. Until i change to proper grip. It's like a Einstein moment. I can progress aafter that. Also a buddy of mine.. Can't seem to hit driver cos his too strong grip.. He can't progress until he change. He is getting a coach now. Definitely grip is important.
Re: Golf grip
howe155

113 MYGOLF
BernieTanGolfPro wrote:
Sometimes i feel it's really easy to forget what's important in golf swing. However i am currently reading a great book by Ben Hogan's five lessons and was reminded and would like to remind you all that GOOD GOLF BEGINS WITH A GOOD GRIP.

But so far, in golf instructions, i have seen many incorrect grips that played a part in a bad habit in a swing and today reading is definitely a good reminder and what I should continue to look at when correcting someone's swing.

What are your opinions?

Yup fundamental is very important if you want to play golf competitively. Like already mentioned start with proper gripping, posture, swing and course mgmt.

But many dint spend money in coaching and lesson. So our intelligent body will pick up the compensation technique.

Ping S58 | Adams MB2 | Nike VR | Callaway Proto | MP32 | CG1 | TM RAC MB TP
Titleist Oil Can 50* Callaway X 54* & 58* (rusty)
SeeMore Si4 --> Evelyn 12 Yes
View user's profileFind all posts by howe155Send private messageVisit poster's website
ST

884 MYGOLF
Yes, correct grip is the first and most important step in golf. I remember after playing for awhile before lessons, the golf pro changed my grip and it felt so uncomfortable, he kept on checking my grip even up to the fourth lessons.

Sometimes, I still have a wrong grip and pressure as well. I still need someone to correct me most of the time, even for the basic setup and swing.
Sponsor
BernieTanGolfPro
MyGolf Junior Golf Instructor

22 MYGOLF
Yes it is very hard when it comes to changing anything in the golf swing and needs constant time and effort to change. With every change and grip changes that the instructor changes you with, it is about patience and trust in it too. I have seen a number of people that when they change their grip or technique they feel so uncomfortable, they start playing bad, and they feel their old swing is better but always remember if you are in that situation, persevere and stay on the change and you will see result Smile i have been there too.

175 MYGOLF
Hi Bernie and all,

I have read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons I think about 3 - 4 times in the past. I particularly like the part where he advocated the grip pressure points of the last 3 fingers of the left hand while holding the club and keeping the contact point where the right palm base over the left thumb and the grip light (holding bird in your hand) at constant pressure throughout the entire swing. Also on the part of keeping both hands working together as one unit.

In his book, he used a fairly neutral left hand grip instead of the strong left hand grip (with 3 knuckles) as recommended by today's professional coaches, that was because he had the occasional bad hooks that cropped up during his early career which affected his golf scores.

So, it is something that readers have to be wary of.

hklam

Last edited by hklam on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mizuno MP 64 4 Iron True Temper
Honma TW737 Forged 5 - PW NSP Modus Tour 105
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52.08
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.08
Titleist Vokey SM5 60.08 M-Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport Limited Edition
Titleist Pro V or Pro V1x balls
Bag: Sun Mountain H2NO Staff Standbag
sinned
Beginner

3 MYGOLF
I always tell my friend that the first lesson in golf is to grip the club. Also
that's the most important part for me in my golfswing.

-Dennis
Downhill

53 MYGOLF
there's no such thing as a good grip or bad grip..dustin johnson is holding the club with all knuckles showing ,..and olazabal has very weak grip,..both are among the best in the world
you have to know what is a weak grip and what is a strong grip and also what is a neutral grip..and find a grip that is suitable for you..if anything feels uncomfortable, then it is not for you, even if it is textbook recommended for everyone.
a good grip is one that gives u leverage..meaning the ability to control the whole club..grip should be in your fingers..not in the palms..
DonW468
Beginner

8 MYGOLF
The grip is the most important part of the set up in golf. You need to see a swing coach/instructor.

Golf grip