[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic Golf Shafts - good read!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Golf Shafts - good read!
IGT

160 MYGOLF
Here are some FAQ's about golf shafts.
Hopefully it'll answer some of your own questions.

Shaft stiffness:
A stiff shaft will launch the ball lower than a more whippy shaft.
It is also said that a stiffer shaft will give you a fade and a more flexible shaft will give you a draw.

Shaft Kickpoint:
Shaft kickpoint is where the shaft flexes the most.
A higher kick point will give a lower launch, while a lower kick point will give a higher launch.

Shaft Weight:
A heavier shaft can help you get more control over your shots but you might find a loss in distance as it can slow down your SS.
A lighter shaft can increase SS but it will be harder to control.

Shaft Length:
The same as shaft weight. A shorter shaft will help with control but you might find a loss in distance. A longer shaft will increase SS but it will be harder to control.

NOTE: Cut-and-paste from this link http://thesandtrap.com/t/36964/shaft-faqs

Junior Writer

268 MYGOLF
bro, u forgot shaft torque. the most important factor to differentiate shafts in the same flex & weight.
torque gives character

Irons: Titleist ZB Forged, Project X Pxi 5.5
Wedge: Big Fish Golf V1x & V5x wedge, KBS Hi-REV
Putter: Zen Oracle QN Mallet
Ball : Titleist ProV1x
Sponsor
IGT

160 MYGOLF
jamesc wrote:
bro, u forgot shaft torque. the most important factor to differentiate shafts in the same flex & weight.
torque gives character

Good point there, James! Thanks!

31 MYGOLF
Good Info. Thanks for sharing Bro
Shawn

26 MYGOLF
Thanks for sharing bro
Sponsor
Royster

37 MYGOLF
“What is torque?”

Some of you know what torque is, some of you have seen the word on shaft spec sheets, but the majority of you are probably encountering it for the first time. Torque is really pretty simple: it’s the shaft’s resistance to twisting. Torque is measured in degrees (meaning: how many degrees will the shaft twist under a certain amount of force), and you’ll typically see measurements as low as 2° and as high as 5°, 6°, or 7°.

As with many other things, these numbers don’t necessarily mean a lot because there’s not a standard way to measure, but I’ve already done that rant.

“Why should we care?”

You should care because torque is a major component in how a shaft feels, much more than flex. You could have an XX-stiff shaft with high torque, and it might feel “smooth” or even “whippy.” Alternately, you could have a senior flex shaft with low torque that can feel “boardy.”

Torque also has a major impact on where the ball ends up. All other things being equal, a shaft with higher torque will lead to a club face that is pointed further left (for a RH golfer) at impact…but we know “all other things” are rarely equal when you add in the human element.

Copy and paste from http://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-shaft-torque/ and you and find the full article from the Link...

jiunngio

29 MYGOLF
Thanks for sharing
View user's profileFind all posts by jiunngioSend private messageYahoo Messenger
gordon042

170 MYGOLF
Very informative and concise. Thanks for sharing.

Irons: PXG 0311 (5-PW)
Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 - 50 / 56 / 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab No.7
Balls : Srixon Z-Star

"What's my handicap? Use to be my slice.. now I am fighting hooks!"

www.kaki-golf.blogspot.com
dl33tter

12 MYGOLF
Contrary to what most people may tell you - I will say that it seldom hurts to play a stiffer and heavier shaft than you *think* is appropriate for you, and you will find that dispersion is much better with a stiffer and heavier shaft. Distance tends to be pretty similar between flexes (very small differences of a couple of meters may be expected but definitely nothing near a 1 club difference). If a shaft is too stiff, you won't feel like you hit shots solidly even if the ball flight looks good - this is what most people describe as 'boardy' and is a sign that the shaft is probably too stiff for you, and will make the game tiring. Playing flexible shafts makes most shots feel good even if not purely struck, and contribute to poor dispersion.

Spider Blade 32
ZStar XV
moespeda11

12 MYGOLF
Really good info..thx sifu... Very Happy
Sponsor
tjs

37 MYGOLF
good info. thanks for sharing. selection of shaft have always been hard for me.
golfingfun

36 MYGOLF
Everyone should check out the YouTube Channel hosted by Mark Crossfield. He claimed that club shafts have no effects on ball flights/distances whatsoever.... Merely how do you feel/how do you like it when striking the golf balls. Very INTERESTING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HitRUPoKiiM&list=UUZelGnfKLXic4gDP63dIRxw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVZ3PCgxTlw&list=UUZelGnfKLXic4gDP63dIRxw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Z5I8y-uQs&list=UUZelGnfKLXic4gDP63dIRxw
Downhill

53 MYGOLF
good post...unfortunately the point about shaft stiffness cannot be accepted as a general rule.
all shafts have different flex ratings and a regular in a certain make can feel stiffer than a x stiff in another..not to mention something many people do not know and that is stock shafts are usually not playing the same as a aftermarket because they are mass produced. there is at times some fine print on the stock shaft stickers with words like "made by" or "made for" to indicate that point. So you may have bought a set of irons with "abc" shafts and you think they are playing according to the specs mentioned by the "abc" website, but go to a fitting pro and you can see that the readings of the shaft specs will be quite different.

my own personal experience..i had a hook so went to x stiff from stiff based on the point about the stiffer the more right it goes..i managed to duck hook many tee shots in between some good ones and had to go back to a stiff.. where the ball goes is ALL about the golfer swing and nothing to do with shafts..some may argue that the shaft makes a golfer swing a certain way and therefore getting proper shafts is necessary . Well, it depends which way you view it.
Denmeister

147 MYGOLF
No point trying different kinds of aftermarket shafts until you can decently keep the tee off in the fairway. When the tee off is all over the place, it is the swing issue. Spending money to buy aftermarket shafts to cure a slice or hook is throwing money into the drain.

Understand what causes the ball to start right or left and how to make it curve right or left is more important initially. I just read an article in golf digest by sean Foley about the proven way to hit a draw or fade. Very simple to understand. The article says:

The club face is the most important factor in establishing the starting direction of the shot.

What this means is: if my shot is starting too much to the right (aka block), that means that the club face is pointing too much right when it comes into contact with the ball.

I will need to close it a little bit more during setup to ensure that it doesn't go right again.

Now, to make the ball curve from right to left, (draw) or the opposite direction (fade), the biggest factor is the swing path.

An in to out swing path will create a draw shot. An out to in path will create a fade shot.

So with the above info, when I observe that my ball is starting straight and then curving to the right, that means that my club face is impacting the ball straight, but my swing path is out to in.

If my desired shot shape is a draw, then I will have to open the club face a little bit at setup and then keep my elbow closer to my hips on the downswing to create an in to out swing.

However, if my desired shot shape is a fade, I just need to close my club face a little bit more during setup and keep the swing the same. The ball should start more to the left and then curve back to the right.

Changing a shaft to find a desired shot shape is not realistic.
Changing a shaft to find more distance AFTER solidifying the swing is a better reason.

This lesson has been very expensive for me as I went through a couple of shafts hoping they will help produce draws for me, alas they never did until I took lessons to understand what it takes to draw a ball.
golfingfun

36 MYGOLF
I like your sayings above. Very Happy
Sponsor
Golf Shafts - good read!