In total there are 377 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 377 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic Which Msia Course "If Play well here, play well anywher

Goto page Previous  1, 2
effendinordin

22 MYGOLF
KLGCC West Course from the tips and tournament conditions.
View user's profileFind all posts by effendinordinSend private messageSend e-mail
effendinordin

22 MYGOLF
Good combination of short and long holes. You would definitely have to use every club in the bag and the 15th one in between the ears. Punishing rough. No Mickey Mouse course. Winning Score for CIMB CLASSIC and Malaysia Open is no more than 15 under.
View user's profileFind all posts by effendinordinSend private messageSend e-mail
Sponsor
howe155

113 MYGOLF
I am afraid you word your question too general. If you are comparing between malaysian states... then I dont have the correct answer imho. But you are comparing malaysia and us, then I should say none. Our courses are usually too unfriendly, tight for sure. Some are long and tight. Only the pro's can manage long and tight, most amature can't. Our greens are way too hard and almost impossible to maintain homogenous grass, hard to stop, hard to back spin and hard to putt too. 18 hole easily have several different green speed. So tough courses with poor up keeping (not even close to pga std) and extreme weather are not the way to brew golf champions. Look at our pro playing againts us pro.... no offence not even close.... a sad thing to say here but its a fact.

I have not played european courses yet, but I have many us courses. Next year maybe I can start compare oz courses and I will post again.

Also different hdcp golfers will give you different thoughts..... you wont get one answer but more or less a sampling

Ping S58 | Adams MB2 | Nike VR | Callaway Proto | MP32 | CG1 | TM RAC MB TP
Titleist Oil Can 50* Callaway X 54* & 58* (rusty)
SeeMore Si4 --> Evelyn 12 Yes
View user's profileFind all posts by howe155Send private messageVisit poster's website
gordon042

173 MYGOLF
The only course in West Malaysia I have played was at Staffield so my experience is rather limited Laughing But based on the east Malaysian courses I have played, I would say Sabah Golf and Country Club ("SGCC") is one such course. Imho if you manage to tame this course you can play anywhere else.

Made a trip to Kota Kinabalu in September last year and managed a round each at SGCC, Sutera Harbour and Nexus Karambunai. Whilst Sutera Harbour and Nexus Karambunai are both challenging courses (it is seriously windy at Nexus), I was truly humbled by the course at SGCC.

"With a course rating of 73.3 off the back tees, the par-72 18 hole golf course measuring 6,335 metres with hilly terrain, undulating fairways, lakes, hidden sand bunkers and adverse wind conditions offer endless challenges to golfers." http://www.sgccsabah.com/golf.html.

I would also add that the 'healthy' addition of cow grass to the course made it very challenging, esp for a high handicapper like myself. Still, it was a good experience and certainly put my golf into perspective.

Laughing

Irons: PXG 0311 (5-PW)
Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 - 50 / 56 / 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab No.7
Balls : Srixon Z-Star

"What's my handicap? Use to be my slice.. now I am fighting hooks!"

www.kaki-golf.blogspot.com
ST

884 MYGOLF
howe155 wrote:
I am afraid you word your question too general. If you are comparing between malaysian states... then I dont have the correct answer imho. But you are comparing malaysia and us, then I should say none. Our courses are usually too unfriendly, tight for sure. Some are long and tight. Only the pro's can manage long and tight, most amature can't. Our greens are way too hard and almost impossible to maintain homogenous grass, hard to stop, hard to back spin and hard to putt too. 18 hole easily have several different green speed. So tough courses with poor up keeping (not even close to pga std) and extreme weather are not the way to brew golf champions. Look at our pro playing againts us pro.... no offence not even close.... a sad thing to say here but its a fact.

I have not played european courses yet, but I have many us courses. Next year maybe I can start compare oz courses and I will post again.

Also different hdcp golfers will give you different thoughts..... you wont get one answer but more or less a sampling

all the while I thought it was me, now I know its the course.. Very Happy
Sponsor
Downhill

53 MYGOLF
it is important to differentiate between tough courses and silly courses
if a golf course punishes a good shot or does not give you a chance at making a shot, then it is silly.. if you have the shot but it is tough and you dont execute it due to a lack of skill or a particular personal mistake, then it is a tough course..
for me the likes of danau are closer to being silly courses than tough courses with the ball seemingly wanting to go everywhere after taking its first bounce

Last edited by Downhill on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
erizzzzz
Nagaria Vice-Captain (2011)

236 MYGOLF
My view

1) UPM... on the 1st 9, never put the ball above the hole... or you'll 3-4 putted. On second 9, make sure the ball is never off the fairway... or u will lose the ball.

2) SGCC.. damn long. and hilly. u need to have a coursebook to plan your game i think.

3) Clearwater Santuary.. i find it hard to estimate distances there. had my worst golf ever there.

4) Rahman Putra - very intimidating.

simivan

706 MYGOLF
For me it would be Templer park.
Anytime you break 100 very happy if 90 an achievement.
Strike

60 MYGOLF
Tawau Hot Spring Golf Course

You need your A++ game & patience there...!
simivan

706 MYGOLF
The other top candidate would be Sabah golf and country clubclub in kota kinabalu.
Last played there over 6 or 7 years back and it's a monster.
Don't even think about breaking 90. Anything below 100 would be an achievement.
Sponsor
okwoon

367 MYGOLF
Strike wrote:
Tawau Hot Spring Golf Course

You need your A++ game & patience there...!

Can agree on your pick.
Patience and good course management.
One just can't be gungho to try to blast most of the shots; it will be a lot frustrating losing balls this way.
Be patient with ball placing onto area one can see with safe landing area.
Tawau hot springs golf course
simivan

706 MYGOLF
But surprisingly the first time I played there when they just opened in the early 2001 or 2 no buggy walk all 18 holes I scored quite well shooting sub 90 and emerged champion in our group.
The first nine is long more straightforward while the 2nd nine though much shorter has lots of blind holes and landing area so need local knowledge and correct club selection.
howe155

113 MYGOLF
None..... u play well when you have correct and sound swing couple with good physical that out last you 18, 36, 54, 72 holes (that's the reason why PGA play 4 days) endurance challenge.

Visually tune to harder or a particular course will only indirectly bias your game against that course design. That's course management that you are playing not good golf fundamental/mechanics.

wonder why pros spend equally if not more time on driving range practice? at peak point of Vijay if I remember correctly he practiced daily and the number of balls he hit weekly (sum up) is equivalent to the weight of an elephant... literally a lot of golf balls in a marketable bombastic way of saying.

For amateurs pls go to the range daily to get good swing fortified better still work with your pros to do swing check weekly. I used to be a non believer in driving range practice, cos usually we ended up bragging with friends, talk about gadget rather focus on what to develop/fortify.

Ping S58 | Adams MB2 | Nike VR | Callaway Proto | MP32 | CG1 | TM RAC MB TP
Titleist Oil Can 50* Callaway X 54* & 58* (rusty)
SeeMore Si4 --> Evelyn 12 Yes
View user's profileFind all posts by howe155Send private messageVisit poster's website
Downhill

53 MYGOLF
howe155 wrote:
None..... u play well when you have correct and sound swing couple with good physical that out last you 18, 36, 54, 72 holes (that's the reason why PGA play 4 days) endurance challenge.

Visually tune to harder or a particular course will only indirectly bias your game against that course design. That's course management that you are playing not good golf fundamental/mechanics.

wonder why pros spend equally if not more time on driving range practice? at peak point of Vijay if I remember correctly he practiced daily and the number of balls he hit weekly (sum up) is equivalent to the weight of an elephant... literally a lot of golf balls in a marketable bombastic way of saying.

For amateurs pls go to the range daily to get good swing fortified better still work with your pros to do swing check weekly. I used to be a non believer in driving range practice, cos usually we ended up bragging with friends, talk about gadget rather focus on what to develop/fortify.

just to make things clear the average weight of an Asian elephant is 4500kg..average weight of a golfball is 45grams...that means vijay singh hits 100000 balls a week.....thats 14000 balls a day..which will take him 38 hours to do if he is to hit a ball every 10 seconds..i have come to the conclusion that vijay is an alien
by the way KGAT is another tricky basta** . just came to understand danny chia played there as a junior and still goes back to sharpen his game.
Which Msia Course "If Play well here, play well anywher