In total there are 244 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 244 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic Putting - slow greens vs fast greens

Putting - slow greens vs fast greens
laser

256 MYGOLF
Where I play, it's slow. And I'm having kind of a "mid-life" putting crisis Confused

Just got myself a diff putter & been re-examining my putting stroke. Big muscles, small muscles. Short backswing, long backswing, Follow thru hugging the ground, follow thru in upward arc. Forward press, normal loft ... etc etc

So I'm curious ... is it easier to putt on slow or fast greens? Are the stroke mechanics the same? Is it easier to build a good putting stroke on slow or fast greens?

Or perhaps I'm asking the wrong questions Embarassed

Pls share your thots Razz
laser

256 MYGOLF
throw more variables into the pot ...

open stance vs square stance

follow thru vs no follow thru ... just saw this video which says no follow thru Confused [edit] he also said toe down heel up !!
Sponsor
azri

206 MYGOLF
Always believe putting is about feel. You develop a comfortable square putter head stroke and next just about speed. Of course you need to read the lines as well.

I don't go into very detail on any of my swings. As it will mess up during play. Only focus on rolling on the line and getting right feel/speed.

Used to do straight back through but these days a slight arc due to using SC 2.6. Apparently Scotty not a believer in straight back through and the putter design is slightly weight bias.
Zahidinho

75 MYGOLF
To me, slow or fast is not an issue. My home course play 8.5 on stimp. When I play other courses that have slower or faster green, the number of putts I hit stays relatively the same.

I do have 2 things or swing thought when putting. One is to have good rhythm i.e. no jerking , no sudden burst of speed and everything is smooth. Second is to think it as a 50-50 chances. When you putt its either in or out, Don't think about missing left or right or the comebacker if you miss it. I think that free my putting stroke a bit.

Equipment wise, I've change my grip to superstroke ultraslim 1.0. This things is automatic. Help my putting a lot by reducing tendencies of wrist break.

Just what works for me

Fairway Wood : Cleveland Launcher 7 Wood HT w/ Fujikura Fit On M Gold 55
Hybrid : Cleveland Launcher 3 Hybrid 20.5 w/ Fujikura Fit On M Gold 55
Iron : MIZUNO MP53 4 - PW w/ NSRPO 950GH Stiff
Wedge : MIZUNO MPT11 50 and 54 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Putter : Odyssey #1 w/ Superstroke Ultraslim 1.0
hklam

174 MYGOLF
To me I have been a firm believer of trusting your swing or in the case of putting, trusting your stroke.

Do not overthink about your putting mechanics on the course but instead emphasize on good fundamentals, ie no wrist breaking, no looking at putt when executing, no jerking, etc.

Keep the putter head low when executing stroke, and make sure you hit the ball at the centre of the putter face so that the ball would have a true roll without any side spins. To execute a smooth putting stroke also requires you to have soft hands & arms (do not tense up as this will result in jerky motions).

Different greens speed at different courses will have an effect on how much you stroke the ball. You must develop a feel for "personal stimp speed" (ie. same tension/stroke through-out without rushing or jerking motion) to determine how much to lag the ball close to the hole each time whether on speedy greens or slow greens. This is done at the practice green of the course that you are playing on.

Lastly, read your line of putt carefully and commit to it and just feel it and stroke the ball. Putting is based on feel and cannot be taught overnight, but with good fundamentals, half the battle is won.

And Laser, to answer your question, my personal putting style is slight forward press with weight distribution slightly more to the left foot, square stance, elbows tucked to the sides, soft hands (with both working together in unison) and head directly over the ball and the line of putt. It works for me.

hklam

Mizuno MP 64 4 Iron True Temper
Honma TW737 Forged 5 - PW NSP Modus Tour 105
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52.08
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.08
Titleist Vokey SM5 60.08 M-Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport Limited Edition
Titleist Pro V or Pro V1x balls
Bag: Sun Mountain H2NO Staff Standbag
Sponsor
laser

256 MYGOLF
Thanks for sharing guys Smile

I was playing a mthly medal yesterday with my new putter & probly because I have been practising a new technique at home all week, I was too conscious of the mechanics on the greens. hahaha needless to say, the result was not as good as when I practised at home.

Then after the game, a fren shared his stroke with me ... very firm grip in both hands, forward press, slightly open stance, follow thru hugging ground ... I tried and with a bit of practice, was making confident/verging on aggressive putts from 10 feet. He said it was Dave Stockton method wor.

That was on pretty slow practice greens. I wonder how that would hold up on fast greens.

Just now I googled grip pressure and found praise for inbee Park's putting on pga.com (?? not lpga.com Shocked) It said ...
Quote:
The key to Inbee’s stroke is the total lack of tension in her arms and shoulders. If you were to walk up and grab her putter at address you could pull it out of her hands because of how loosely she holds it.

This seems totally diff from what my fren showed me as Dave Stockton method. Damn ... I really have to get over to somewhere with fast greens (upm? seri s'gor?) to experiment again Laughing

btw, just to share ... a video on inbee park's putting stroke ... interesting to see her follow thru rising up in a natural arc instead of hugging the ground Shocked

bro zahidinho, i've only seen but never tried the grip you're using .. it's straight down no taper as opposed to the pistol grip, right? Always wondered how it prevents wrist break.
Zahidinho

75 MYGOLF
Yup. It is straight down no taper style kind of grip. I don't know the exact science behind it but when I grip it I notice a few things. Since it's bigger than normal grip, you feel a lot more 'kemas' in hand. Dunno what the exact word in english. Firm but without being tight. And when you swing your wrist tend to not breakdown. Maybe it's those small muscle vs big muscle thing.

FWIW, i putt with a lil bit open stance. My thought is straight back straight thru. But I've seen myself on video,there is a hint of arc stroke in my putting. Never cared whether follow through upwards or along the ground if the ball started online.

Hope this help

Fairway Wood : Cleveland Launcher 7 Wood HT w/ Fujikura Fit On M Gold 55
Hybrid : Cleveland Launcher 3 Hybrid 20.5 w/ Fujikura Fit On M Gold 55
Iron : MIZUNO MP53 4 - PW w/ NSRPO 950GH Stiff
Wedge : MIZUNO MPT11 50 and 54 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Putter : Odyssey #1 w/ Superstroke Ultraslim 1.0
BernieTanGolfPro
MyGolf Junior Golf Instructor

22 MYGOLF
I feel putting is personal and there are a variables of ways. However I do believe a putting stroke has an arc when bringing it back and through and also the putter your using would play a part in the technique your applying to.

For me i have an arc in my putting stroke. I do believe it is important to have a follow through, not a long one but it helps the ball to roll better to the hole and plays a part in getting the right speed. But i would recommend getting a lesson with a coach as they would be able to help you directly and clear out confusions Smile

Over at Impact Elite Golf Academy, we have. Sam Putt Lab that analyses the putting strokes, determines club face position, the arc, the centredness of strike, the tempo of the golfer, path and the instructor can use it to show in detail during a putting lesson.

633 MYGOLF
BernieTanGolfPro wrote:
I feel putting is personal and there are a variables of ways. However I do believe a putting stroke has an arc when bringing it back and through and also the putter your using would play a part in the technique your applying to.

For me i have an arc in my putting stroke. I do believe it is important to have a follow through, not a long one but it helps the ball to roll better to the hole and plays a part in getting the right speed. But i would recommend getting a lesson with a coach as they would be able to help you directly and clear out confusions Smile

Over at Impact Elite Golf Academy, we have. Sam Putt Lab that analyses the putting strokes, determines club face position, the arc, the centredness of strike, the tempo of the golfer, path and the instructor can use it to show in detail during a putting lesson.

email sent to you looking for a putting lesson. and use of your samputt lab.
Downhill

53 MYGOLF
what is the cause of the putting crisis?
if its too many 3 putts in a round, then you might be struggling with speed and that is what your post title suggests.
if you miss makeable putts a lot, then might be something else.. anyways need someone to look at the problem and can advise
IMO, at the recreational level, many people dont hit the ball in the middle of putter face enough and dont get the consistent roll on their putts.. you will always see guys come out of their stroke after the ball has just left the putter face, thats almost an automatic. striking the ball in the middle of putter face is huge i guess, if you need anything to think about during putts.
Sponsor
Putting - slow greens vs fast greens