[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 1614 on Wed May 06, 2020 10:47 pm

Reply to topic Biggest challenge in teaching golf to beginners

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Swing Away...
Gorn
Beginner

1 MYGOLF
Magic is right. All beginners, and to some extent more experienced players, expect to play better or improve right after their last lesson. That just doesn't happen. From my experience of taking instructions for almost a year now, although I've played for more than 12 years around 115 and above and never improving, I find that I always regress a little as I try to incorporate new moves into the swing when playing on the course. My swing might look good during the lesson but it's constantly practicing the little drills that my coach tells me to practice on the range that helps me produce any lasting changes in my golf swing.

I think it's easier teaching the beginner as they most probably don't have any bad habits to correct while the experienced golfer's coach has to work around habits already ingrained through years of play.

But don't worry, it doesn't take a lot of changes for an experienced golfer to improve his game quickly. Within 8 months of taking instructions from an excellent coach, and playing intermittently month to month, I've managed to break 90 on a few occasions, with a PB of 84 (Twice) and managed to get some eagles on the way. Saying that, also within the same time period, I've also regressed to scoring more than 105 on many occasions. My point is beginners and experienced golfers have to understand that is a continuing learning process. Get someone who will tell you what you're doing wrong and ways to correct it. Keep working at it even if you seem to get worse with lessons. Like everything else, if you don't play or swing regularly, rust will settle in, and you have to work hard to your swing back to where it was before.

Another point I want to share is about driving range sessions. I used to hit a minimum of 200 balls at the range thinking that the more balls I hit the better I'd play.. Smile We all know that it's not true, at least at my level of playing. Now I struggle to finish 100 balls in 1.5 hours!!! I recommend reading "Practice to Learn Play to win" by Mark Guadagnoli. An excellent read about the mental side of golf and practicing on the range with purpose.

BTW, Thanks to Steven Giuliano (psstttt... excellent coach) I'm enjoying my golf more than ever!!! Wink
IGT

160 MYGOLF
Magic wrote:
IGT,

majority of the students expecting right after the lesson, they can play well. this is logic. even myself

Yes, that is what i described as expectations, but is it realistic to have such expectations of immediate results?

If it was that easy and straight forward, we would have had many Pros here Smile

Thanks.

Re: Swing Away...
IGT

160 MYGOLF
Gorn wrote:
Magic is right. All beginners, and to some extent more experienced players, expect to play better or improve right after their last lesson. That just doesn't happen. From my experience of taking instructions for almost a year now, although I've played for more than 12 years around 115 and above and never improving, I find that I always regress a little as I try to incorporate new moves into the swing when playing on the course. My swing might look good during the lesson but it's constantly practicing the little drills that my coach tells me to practice on the range that helps me produce any lasting changes in my golf swing.

I think it's easier teaching the beginner as they most probably don't have any bad habits to correct while the experienced golfer's coach has to work around habits already ingrained through years of play.

But don't worry, it doesn't take a lot of changes for an experienced golfer to improve his game quickly. Within 8 months of taking instructions from an excellent coach, and playing intermittently month to month, I've managed to break 90 on a few occasions, with a PB of 84 (Twice) and managed to get some eagles on the way. Saying that, also within the same time period, I've also regressed to scoring more than 105 on many occasions. My point is beginners and experienced golfers have to understand that is a continuing learning process. Get someone who will tell you what you're doing wrong and ways to correct it. Keep working at it even if you seem to get worse with lessons. Like everything else, if you don't play or swing regularly, rust will settle in, and you have to work hard to your swing back to where it was before.

Another point I want to share is about driving range sessions. I used to hit a minimum of 200 balls at the range thinking that the more balls I hit the better I'd play.. Smile We all know that it's not true, at least at my level of playing. Now I struggle to finish 100 balls in 1.5 hours!!! I recommend reading "Practice to Learn Play to win" by Mark Guadagnoli. An excellent read about the mental side of golf and practicing on the range with purpose.

BTW, Thanks to Steven Giuliano (psstttt... excellent coach) I'm enjoying my golf more than ever!!! Wink

Thanks for sharing your experience, Gorn!

And again, this is precisely setting expectations - as beginners and experienced.