Home Forum Register Search Usergroups Contact Form Log in  
Menu
Home
Forum
Calendar
User Groups
Memberlist
FAQ
Search
Contact Us
User Block
Username:

Password:

 Remember me



I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Forum Search

Advanced Search
Google Search
Custom Search
Statistics
We have 6853 registered users
The newest registered user is CraigAlemi

Our users have posted a total of 107251 articles within 14034 topics
Who is Online

In total there are 120 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 120 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]


Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic Biggest challenge in teaching golf to beginners

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Biggest challenge in teaching golf to beginners
IGT
Member

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 314
Location: BU
160 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
What is the biggest challenge when it comes to teaching golf to beginners?

Share your thoughts please....Thx

_________________
For the love of the game!
View user's profileFind all posts by IGTSend private messageMSN Messenger
erizzzzz
Nagaria Vice-Captain (2011)

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 697
Location: Section 7 Bangi
236 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
That i am also a beginner? Hahahah.

_________________
NHS Golf Club -WP
NHS 262383
View user's profileFind all posts by erizzzzzSend private messageSend e-mail
Sponsor
IGT
Member

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 314
Location: BU
160 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
erizzzzz wrote:
That i am also a beginner? Hahahah.


Very Happy ....me too...we should probably put another biggest challenge learning from coach Very Happy

_________________
For the love of the game!
View user's profileFind all posts by IGTSend private messageMSN Messenger
magic
Moderator

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Age: 41
Posts: 5959
Location: Puchong
2858 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
I am not a coach, so I am sharing from my point as observer.
The challenge to teach a beginner, you must give the instruction as easy as possible. Not too make it too technical where the beginner couldn't visualize what you are trying to explain

To the beginner, although you desperately to get the distance, it will come when your swing is correct.
View user's profileFind all posts by magicSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
miura
Member

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 08 May 2011
Age: 51
Posts: 135
92 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
patience is key as most want quick results.........also few practice enough to see good improvement

'patience and practice'
View user's profileFind all posts by miuraSend private messageSend e-mail
Sponsor
IGT
Member

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 314
Location: BU
160 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
Magic wrote:
I am not a coach, so I am sharing from my point as observer.
The challenge to teach a beginner, you must give the instruction as easy as possible. Not too make it too technical where the beginner couldn't visualize what you are trying to explain

To the beginner, although you desperately to get the distance, it will come when your swing is correct.


Yup, technically speaking; developing easy drills to help beginners in their practice is key.

_________________
For the love of the game!
View user's profileFind all posts by IGTSend private messageMSN Messenger
Scemmeh
Beginner

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Location: KL
1 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
Drills that train muscle memory. Like the style of hank haney. 1 hour of swings without hitting the ball. Of course give them guidance on the right club position, shoulder hip rotation, and weight allignments.
View user's profileFind all posts by ScemmehSend private message
botak
Senior Member

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1008
542 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
Some people's body just cannot get to certain ideal swing positions... the coach's challenge is to work with the student's limitation and maximize result and fun
View user's profileFind all posts by botakSend private message
tqzen
Member

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 24 Oct 2007
Age: 46
Posts: 300
Location: Setia Alam
76 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
Set the expectations Right.

Golf is a sport where you will always learn. Frustration and Joy comes hand in hand in a game of golf, but most of the time frustration.

Banging 300 balls a day for a week doesnt mean you will play decent golf. It is life long learning process for everyone.
View user's profileFind all posts by tqzenSend private messageMSN Messenger
golffren
Junior Member

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 21
2 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
Agreed. Have been playing for few years and still post a high score. Frustration kick in many times. Wanted to even give up golf. But then still hanging on there.

I guess need to practice more on the weakness especially the short games. Just trying to change my blade putter to 2 ball putter. Look more promising after trying it out last week. Hope thing will get better. Hehe
View user's profileFind all posts by golffrenSend private message
Sponsor
erizzzzz
Nagaria Vice-Captain (2011)

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 697
Location: Section 7 Bangi
236 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
golffren wrote:
Agreed. Have been playing for few years and still post a high score. Frustration kick in many times. Wanted to even give up golf. But then still hanging on there.

I guess need to practice more on the weakness especially the short games. Just trying to change my blade putter to 2 ball putter. Look more promising after trying it out last week. Hope thing will get better. Hehe


other people's clubs are always better than our clubs.... Razz

_________________
NHS Golf Club -WP
NHS 262383
View user's profileFind all posts by erizzzzzSend private messageSend e-mail
SGGolfCoaching
MyGolf Instructor

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Age: 43
Posts: 92
Location: Kuala Lumpur
91 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
Great post!

Having instructed this great game over 15 years some of the biggest challenges I've faced with beginner is keeping they're patience and interest in the game and managing their expectations. The majority of beginners I teach are adults 25+ and so are already successful in life and have most likely been active in other sports in their youth.

Starting golf later is a tough challenge as there are so many facets to learn and in this day and age we all want it now and expect it now, quite a different viewpoint if you'd taken up the game at a young age <10. I encourage all my students to take a long term view, if you've only been playing golf for only 1-2 years your still an baby in golf years and need to understand and enjoy the process of developing and improving your game. If you took at 10-20+ year viewpoint you wouldn't be in such a rush to improve and you'd be a lot more patient, it's tough to compare yourself to your friend who's already been playing for 10+ years.

From a technical level, the biggest issue I come across is beginners have very little concept of the most important area of the game, IMPACT!. They lack the understanding of what it looks like, what it feels like and how to achieve a solid impact position. I see many beginners working so hard on their game with poor information and yet it has little to no influence on their ability to strike the ball solidly. This is still the first keys area I address with all my beginners, understanding how to impact the ball correctly for solid contact. Do this well at any level and you can play and enjoy golf for a long time!

Good luck!

_________________
Steven Giuliano
Director of Player Development
Impact Elite Golf Academy
The Mines Resort & Golf Club
steven@sggc.com.au
View user's profileFind all posts by SGGolfCoachingSend private messageSend e-mail
IGT
Member

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 314
Location: BU
160 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
SGGolfCoaching wrote:
Great post!

Having instructed this great game over 15 years some of the biggest challenges I've faced with beginner is keeping they're patience and interest in the game and managing their expectations. The majority of beginners I teach are adults 25+ and so are already successful in life and have most likely been active in other sports in their youth.

Starting golf later is a tough challenge as there are so many facets to learn and in this day and age we all want it now and expect it now, quite a different viewpoint if you'd taken up the game at a young age <10. I encourage all my students to take a long term view, if you've only been playing golf for only 1-2 years your still an baby in golf years and need to understand and enjoy the process of developing and improving your game. If you took at 10-20+ year viewpoint you wouldn't be in such a rush to improve and you'd be a lot more patient, it's tough to compare yourself to your friend who's already been playing for 10+ years.

From a technical level, the biggest issue I come across is beginners have very little concept of the most important area of the game, IMPACT!. They lack the understanding of what it looks like, what it feels like and how to achieve a solid impact position. I see many beginners working so hard on their game with poor information and yet it has little to no influence on their ability to strike the ball solidly. This is still the first keys area I address with all my beginners, understanding how to impact the ball correctly for solid contact. Do this well at any level and you can play and enjoy golf for a long time!

Good luck!


Very interesting insights there, Steven. Thanks for sharing!

_________________
For the love of the game!
View user's profileFind all posts by IGTSend private messageMSN Messenger
IGT
Member

Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 314
Location: BU
160 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
I can probably share some perspective on training/coaching gained during my employment with MNC when i managed the training/education business (telecommunication industry) which was one of the key product portfolio; technically not related to golf at all though.

In my view, key challenges are:

1] Managing Expectations
What do students want out of their game; what level they want to play at; and are they willing to do what it takes i.e. how committed they are. Always set clear expectations upfront.

2] Getting students to practice
Here is a very generic comment i always heard..."I just got worse after my lessons, i shouldn't have signed up the lessons"....simply because students are not committed enough to practice what they were taught. And they expect immediate results. This actually takes us back to managing expectations.

Thanks.

_________________
For the love of the game!
View user's profileFind all posts by IGTSend private messageMSN Messenger
magic
Moderator

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Age: 41
Posts: 5959
Location: Puchong
2858 MYGOLF
Reply with quote
IGT,

majority of the students expecting right after the lesson, they can play well. this is logic. even myself
View user's profileFind all posts by magicSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Sponsor
Biggest challenge in teaching golf to beginners
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum
All times are GMT + 8 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  

  
  
 Reply to topic  
Calendar
<< October 2019 >>
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Upcoming Events
None
Content © Malaysia Golfing Community
Maintained by gbrian © Mygolf.com.my