In total there are 345 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 342 Guests

Registered Users: gordon042, kimcuong230797, zool

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic The “Near Impossible” Dream of Becoming A Pro Golfer in MY

Goto page Previous  1, 2
miura

92 MYGOLF
actually my words are not only for you but others with same dreams....keep your targets realistic like you are doing
if you cant shoot under par off back tees regularly then you are wasting your time trying to be a touring pro on a good tour

from my experience out of 1000 hopefuls about 50 have potential to make it
out of the 50, 10 can play and cope with the pressure of playing golf for a living
out of that 10 , 1 or 2 can make it on tour

players like the ones you see winning on tv are 00.1 % of guys who try to make it

THINK ABOUT IT
Kuan Yew
Junior Writer

80 MYGOLF
Words of wisdom indeed, I think there nothin unrealistic about step 1 and anyone can do it, with time, effort an dedication, step 1 is definitely realistic

For the other steps, well like I said, will worry bout them when the time comes Smile

It's a lifelong marathon, not a 100m sprint Smile

Who else wants to achieve step 1, or have already achieved step 1 (breaking 90 and 80) and consistently plays in the 70s?

Yappy

171 MYGOLF
Yeah .. i do dream about it every night Embarassed .. maybe next life i will work on it ..

instead of becoming touring pro now . .. i rather choose to be caddy for pros .. not necessary must be those top tiers pros. .. no doubt the pay etc is suck but is a viable alternative to live the dream.

Keep it up with the posting .. The golf Man and sybas on your new born .. and more to come

Taylormade 200 Series #3
Taylormade 200 series 7 wood
Irons .... Looking
Cleveland 51, 57 and Cobra 61
Ping Anser 2 Smile
Slicer51

615 MYGOLF
KY,

I believe everybody have their own personal opinion regarding your thread. It is a good things when so much discussion toward your topic.

This is what made Mygolf to become active. I am looking forward for your next acticle Smile

The Most Important Shot in Golf Is This One
"Experience is not what happens to you, it is what you do with what happens to you"

PLS READ THIS 1st before posting in BST thread.
http://www.mygolf.com.my/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9798&start=0
okwoon

367 MYGOLF
Slicer51 wrote:
KY,

I believe everybody have their own personal opinion regarding your thread. It is a good things when so much discussion toward your topic.

This is what made Mygolf to become active. I am looking forward for your next acticle Smile

we sure have a lot to share when we have differing views.

Another topic to research on maybe about what you may become if you cannot be a top golfer.

I have not heard of Mr Callaway as a top golfer, but his name is known to most golfers. mr Steve william might not make his mark as a golfer but the world knew him as caddie to the world's No. 1 golfer then. Haney, Harmon and a butch of other gurus (including a Julianos?) are well known for coaching though they may not have as glorious playing days.

For me, it suffice not to dream of being a touring pro. i am contented to be a tourist golfer at various courses.

So there is a bright future horizon beyond......
Sponsor
Circle13

29 MYGOLF
very interesting thread..kudos
Kuan Yew
Junior Writer

80 MYGOLF
Brother Yappy, thanks much for the support, baby doing fine, getting naughty!! haha yes, more to come soon!!!

Bro Slicer51, yeah, I think Brian Gor made a good move with this, let's talk more interesting stuff and share opinions rather than just posting WTS threads haha

Bro okwoon, yeah great suggestion, I wrote something similar to that in my blog before, here you go
http://thegolfingpost.com/golfing-careers-in-the-golf-industry/

Bro Adriancys, thanks much for the support!

Reading all your comments remind me of a famous quote, "talk is cheap"

So when I look back at the article I've written and all your comments, it kinda reminds me to not be cheap in that sense and really commit to my words, ie seriously play better golf.

It also reminds me that dreams alone are pretty useless unless you start planning and most importantly, you start taking actions (however small it may be) towards making it a reality

For that, it drove me to rethink my swing and re-allocate my time at the range, hit 300 balls in the morning yesterday before coming to the office, felt fantastic! Also, bout a lil piece of training aid called the "swingyde" - looking forward for it to arrive, tried RGT and MST, they don't carry this item it seems, so went to ebay instead

Had it not been for you guys, I probably wouldn't been too lazy and kept pushing golf on the side giving ways to 'higher priorities' in my day-to-day stuff to do all this, so, sincerely, a big thank you to you all for indirectly pushing me forward on this journey, let's play the best golf of our lives in 2013!!!

Cheers!

160 MYGOLF
Becoming a Pro?

Here are some of my personal thoughts, at least :

- Commitment from the parents to consistently cultivating their kids, developing the interest and putting them under good academy or program. (Look at South Koreans in LPGA, they started young)

- Players' commitment and most of all the enthusiasm which actually drives commitment. And again coupled with a good coaching and development program.

And do you think in our country, do we have an ESTABLISHED sport program or academy in schools or in colleges to accommodate the needs?

Does anyone know what the former Pros in any sports in Malaysia are doing now?

Junior Writer

80 MYGOLF
Interesting

I think Malaysia has some of the facilities for that, how good or bad I wouldn't know.

But for golf, I really think its difficult to find (if there's any) and hence most ppl go for private ones

Your last point really hit the spot, I too wonder where the pros are right now except nicol and Datuk lee

174 MYGOLF
Bro KY, Nice thread and topic of discussion.

I think in any sports for that matter, 4 particular elements determine how successful a sportsperson be in his or her chosen sports, and golf in particular.

1) Early exposure and passion;
2) Proper training and guidance (at a very young age);
3) Talent (lots of it); and
4) Mental strength.

1) Early exposure and passion - When one has a passion for golf at a very young age, he or she already has an edge or good start over others. A passion to learn the golf swing and related tools of the game, a passion to improve oneself and excel at the game. Such passion at the early development of the individual will spurr the person wanting to learn and excel in the game at an early stage when the body and muscles are developing.

Case in point: Tiger, Rory, and others. They started at very young age and they were very interested and passionate about their respective sports at very young age.

2) Proper training and guidance - proper mechanics of the swing taught and understood at very young age so they were able to condition their still developing and nimble hands and body. Starting young also allows proper repetitions (reps) of the golf swing to be ingrained into their body and mind at an early stage. As you all know, young kids can really absorb alot of knowledge and reps.

I played with a local young professional last year and I asked him how on earth he was able to generate such swing speed and able to hit the ball so consistently and his reply was he has done his time, training and swing repetitions since his teens.

3) Talent - Of course without talent, one will take forever to master the golf swing as compared to one with natural talent.

Case in point: There are those that can play to scratch handicap after taking up golf for less than 2 - 3 years as compared to some that have been playing the game for almost their lifetime! These I'm sure are plenty all around us golfers here.

Another example former sportsmen or footballers like Wong Hung Nung, Wong Ewe Mun to name a few whom have transitioned into golf within a short span of time upon retiring from their earlier chosen sports.

4) Mental strength - without this, one will have difficulty mastering the game. As the saying goes, golf is a game played within the confines of the brain.

For me, a weekend hacker like anyone out there, my own realistic goal is just to play and enjoy the game in the hope of breaking 80 sometime sooner (New Year resolution).

Rgds,
hklam

Last edited by hklam on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mizuno MP 64 4 Iron True Temper
Honma TW737 Forged 5 - PW NSP Modus Tour 105
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52.08
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.08
Titleist Vokey SM5 60.08 M-Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport Limited Edition
Titleist Pro V or Pro V1x balls
Bag: Sun Mountain H2NO Staff Standbag
Sponsor
IGT

160 MYGOLF
@HKLam:

Agree.

@ KY:

IMHO, time is never a challenge if one is committed. When committed, it has to be on top of the list.
Said in another word, we can't find time, coz we are not committed enough, for whatever reasons.

Playing golf as living i.e. Pro or as part of life is totally different things. So, gotta be realistic in goal setting. Dreams will remain dreams without strategy, action plan and timeline.

Practice is the right thing to do but if we don't do it right it is almost meaningless. So, do the right things right.

My experience told me that going down to the range spending hours whacking balls whether 200 or 500 balls without proper coaching and drills, won't really produce SIGNIFICANT improvements.

Great stuff, there! Keep it up!

542 MYGOLF
Any hopes of me making it or playing better golf is over.... I can only hope that my son will show some interest when he grow older. In the meantime, those clubs remain in my store room...
Kuan Yew
Junior Writer

80 MYGOLF
Hi Bro HKLam,

Thanks, glad you liked the article, and many thanks for the long response you provided, spot on on most points I must say, but if there's one thing I'd add on, there's a saying that talent is 1%, 99% is hardwork, so, don't bank on talent too much - weird that I'm saying this since according to my golf kakis, I always have the L.O.F.T. problem (lack of eFfing talent) hahahah

Anyway, great points bro, and yes, let's break 80 this year!

============================

Bro IGT,

Yes, agreed, less balls but more frequent sessions, that's better than less but longer sessions each, and yes, best if there's someone overseeing your swing and guiding you to a better swing (short of a coach, I've gotten the swingyde, hope that helps, review coming in the near future)

============================

Bro Botak,

Hhahahah I used to say such things too, don't give up hope bro, no pro, play for fun and win more beer money is also a good place to be bro! lol