[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 1775 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:01 am

Reply to topic Layup!? Attack!? Beginner's point of view on course mgt

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Layup!? Attack!? Beginner's point of view on course mgt
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hi all, newbie here.

Newcomer to both this forum and to golf (about 1 year.) Great forum you guys; what a fantastic place to share the experience in this pain and pleasure thing called golf (because sh!t and f@ck were already taken Wink )

In the spirit of sharing, I thought I'd discuss my approach to course management that I used in my recent round at the newly refurbished Glenmarie GCC Valley course.

Glenmarie Valley Course

The pine trees of this 6,325 metre Valley Course will make you think you were playing golf in Europe, in some Mild Country advertisement. It's so beautiful, I took my camera and hence the pictures you see here.

Fast Facts

彪alley Course : 18-holes caddy/buggy course
膝olf Course Designer : Max Wexler
謬otal Length : 6,325 metres from black tees
5,874 metres from blue tees
4,972 metres from red tees
匹ourse Rating : 71.9
謬urf on fairways : Tifway 419;
Greens: Bermuda Tifdwarf (more on this later)
漂ear Opened : October 1993

So, armed with this, on we go for an early morning tee off. Here goes nothing...

(John 6:35 ESV)

Shaky start, recovered
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 1

Blue 355m
White 322m
Red 299m
Index 3
Par 4

Nice and straight fairway, just keep right slightly to avoid the left bunker, and the approach is nice and centered. Keep the approach shot at the bottom of the flag, as the green slopes back to front.

Those were my first thoughts as I calmly planned my attack of the hole...

Whom am I kidding. Actually my first thought was "Dammit, I should've come earlier to warm up. I hope my driver doesn't embarrass me."

True enough, the 1st tee off pulled left into the rough. Lets get the embarrassment over with. Punched it back onto the fairway, no heroics. The approach overshot the pin, to the left (you see a trend here?), for a 1-chip 1-putt. 1 over, not a bad way to start.

So as usual, when you get complacent, golf slaps you in the face in the next hole...

Sponsor
Index 17, must be easy right? Wrong!
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 2

Blue 338
White 322
Red 293
Index 17
Par 4

The hole slopes downward in a slight dogleg left, with the green hidden from view. So, aim at the left of the bunker.

Index 17 should be a piece of cake. Except I landed IN the bunker. Then I came out short, and had to take a PW to the green. My shot went straight towards the pin, so straight that I impressed myself and I whistled in admiration. That's when the troubles started.

It landed before the flag, and rolled by the flag by just a couple of inches. And kept rolling. And kept rolling. Like Mike Jagger, it seemed like this rolling stone just wouldn't stop rolling. Eventually it disappeared out of sight.

I was speechless. I finally understand what Tifdwarf means - grass with no grip!

I find myself in a collection area 10-foot deep. Long story short, blew the hole. I don't even want to post the score here.

So, moral of the story for this hole is, when the green slopes severely front to back, landing short is waaay better than landing on or long. Avoid the trap laid by the designer to go aggressively at this hole.

Pride hurt, trying to recover
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 3

Blue 203
White 192
Red 144
Index 7
Par 3

So, the designer (Max Wexler) knows you're shaken now, and gives you a par 3 to sayang you a bit. Except he made this par 3 more than 200m long! With deep valleys waiting to catch any short drives. And OB to the right. Now I'm thinking, this Max fella must be a sadist.

So? Keep left. Lay up left of the bunkers for a safe upward chip. Long drivers can go at the green but make sure you carry the right bunkers and valleys.

My confidence severely shaken, I duffed my 3-wood into the valleys of course. My approach flew over the pin into the rough. I now faced a downward chip. Somehow, I chipped to a gimme distance, and made a bogey. Thanks to Phil Mickelson and his recent book on the short game.

The hardest hole
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 4

Blue 361
White 330
Red 308
Index 1
Par 4

The landing area is deceptively narrow, so a rather accurate tee-off would help. Right is OB, so keep left. With that strategy in mind, my driver decided to hit right, of course.

Next, the left bunkers are waiting to catch your shots as you keep left to avoid the OB. So the approach shot must be accurate.

My hybrid decided to push to flirt with the OB. The caddie earned her tip by locating my ball in the thick jungle (calling it rough would be insulting mother nature.) I chipped for 3 on and 3 putts. Hey, it's an index 1 hole, and I'm a beginner.

Sponsor
magic

2858 MYGOLF
Lee, i wanna find a chance to play there liao
View user's profileFind all posts by magicSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Beautiful and smart
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 5

Blue 469
White 440
Red 411
Index 13
Par 5

After the torture of the last 3 holes, Max gives you a reward for your perseverance, the magnificent hole 5.

Hole 5 is the prettiest hole in the course. A 3-tiered hole, the view from the elevated tee is breathtaking. A stream borders your 1st shot, inviting you to cross it if you dare. After the stream is a circular landing area for the wise who lay up. For the bold, you can attack the green directly, but you must have the distance to reach the island green.

It is an intelligently designed risk-reward hole. This is where strategy really comes into play.

For a change, just to surprise me, my tee-off landed exactly where I intended. Sufficiently befuddled, I was bold and foolish enough to throw caution to the wind and decided to attack the island green. The ball is in a clean lie, sitting up nicely. However, it was sloping down slightly. I took my 3-wood, which thus far has duffed on me when I last used it, and proceeded to talk to my ball.

"Ball, I hope to see you again. If I don't, it's been nice to know you." The brand-new Titleist Prov-V1x blinked at me as if to say "Are you sure boss?"

One whack, and the ball landed on the island. I couldn't be happier if I made a hole in one! So, moral of the story, weigh the pros (good position, good lie) and cons (sloping down, 3-wood not working well) before making your decision.

I chipped over to the fringe, lag putt, but missed my 4-footer par putt. But, like a childhood romance that almost but not quite worked out, it was a most satisfying and unforgettable bogey though.

Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Magic wrote:
Lee, i wanna find a chance to play there liao

Yeah man, you won't regret it.

Next time my friend arranges a round, I'll let you know.

More to come...

Quick, draw McGraw!
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 6

Blue 155 (wrong!)
White 135 (wrong!)
Red 99 (wrong!)

The distances in the score card and distance marker in this hole are all wrong, since they moved the green during the refurbishment. A fact which my caddie helpfully informed me. After I've hit my ball into the water. I wanted to hit my caddie into the water too... Just kidding. Barely.

But anyway, just take 1 club more, and go for a draw. If you get caught in the bunker, don't top your bunker shot into the water.
Rolling Eyes

Thanks to my distance-impaired caddie, and some equally distance-impaired putting, I did a 7 here. Must remember next time, a 6-iron won't make it, go for 5-iron.

Use the slope
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 7

Blue 321
White 301
Red 262
Index 15
Par 4

This hole is quite interesting strategy-wise. Look at the slope. If you go for the center of the fairway and you push your shot, you are under the trees, or worse, in the water.

If you go for the left, and you push your shot, you are in the center of the fairway. If you pull, the slope will kick it back down.

So, aim left. I did, and made a bogey. OK la.

Sponsor
Bogey wonderland!
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 8

Blue 379
White 348
Red 332
Index 5
Par 4

This is another hole where the green is blind from the fairway. It is key to avoid the left slopes.

I forgot to use my hips, and hooked my shot into the left slope. From the severe slope, my over-compensated hybrid shot pushed my ball into the right trees, and it promptly disappeared, caddie or no caddie. Long story short, did a 9. Lesson learnt; stay away from the left slope.

Long and straight
Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hole 9

Blue 474
White 447
Red 409
Index 9
Par 5

Quite straightforward, just aim it center to avoid the bunkers.

The 2nd shot should hug the right side for a clear approach.

On the approach, land short (remember, the green doesn't bite.)

Double bogeyed here.

Last edited by Lee36328 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lee36328

490 MYGOLF
Hope you guys enjoyed it and found it useful. Comments/discussions/feedback most welcome.

Taking a break, this is hard work, to continue shortly with the 2nd 9.

geraldsaw

633 MYGOLF
this is very refreshing. adds life to the forum. excellent photography, great indicators of landing zones and accurate analysis of swing faults. keep it up. must be due to your corporate presentation skills: pictures - captions and analysis. Laughing Laughing Laughing
magic

2858 MYGOLF
Lee, yeah, pls let me know Wink
View user's profileFind all posts by magicSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Sponsor
Layup!? Attack!? Beginner's point of view on course mgt