Reply to topic CIMB National Championship 2018

CIMB National Championship 2018
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3469 MYGOLF

Sukree Shoots 66 To Grab First Round Lead At CIMB National Championship

Sukree Othman

Kuala Lumpur, 25 September 2018: Mohd Sukree Othman birdied four of his last six holes for a five-under-par 66 and a one-shot lead after the first round of the CIMB National Championship at TPC Kuala Lumpurís East course on Tuesday.

The 42-year-old Sukree produced a bogey-free card to edge ahead of R. Nachimuthu, Alex Tiong Wei Zen, Kim Leun Kwang and Amir Nazrin Jailani, who returned identical 67s, in the RM200,000 tournament which will reward the winner with a spot in next monthís US$7 million CIMB Classic, the only PGA TOUR tournament held in Southeast Asia.

After turning in one-under with a birdie on the third hole, Sukreeís game caught fire late in his round as he reeled in three straight birdies on 13, 14 and 15 before signing off with another closing birdie on 18.

ďI drove it well and hit my irons consistently. I struggled with my putting early on and then got lucky on the back nine where I holed putts of 20 feet and 15 feet on 13 and 14,Ē said Sukree, winner of nine domestic tournaments.

ďIíve tried to qualify for the CIMB Classic ever year Ö last year, I came in fifth so hopefully I can get it done this week. Itís a great chance to play against PGA TOUR players as weíll never get a chance to play in America.Ē

Amir, 21, shot seven birdies against three bogeys to stay on Sukreeís heels. Last year, he finished third, one shot behind the playoff duo of Danny Chia and Gavin Green, and is hoping to keep up his chase for a first PGA TOUR start at the CIMB Classic.

ďThe main goal is to win, but in the first few days, itíll be important to keep up with the chase and stay in position,Ē he said. ďIíll try to keep my momentum going and minimize my mistakes.Ē

The surprise of the day came from Tiong, a 29-year-old who gave up full-time touring to become a teaching professional. He stayed bogey-free and shot four birdies for T2 position.

ďI putted really well, and kept ball on the fairway and hit 16 greens which is pretty good. On my front nine, I hit every green but nothing dropped until the 18th hole for my first birdie and then I made three more birdies on the back nine. This is a nice surprise,Ē said Tiong.

The winner of the CIMB National Championship will have the opportunity to face PGA TOUR stars including 2017 FedExCup champion Justin Thomas, CIMB Classic defending champion Pat Perez, Keegan Bradley, Ryder Cup star Paul Casey, Japanese ace Hideki Matsuyama, 2017 Rookie of the Year Xander Schauffele and World Golf Hall of Fame members, Ernie Els and Davis Love III.

The CIMB Classic will be held at TPC Kuala Lumpurís West course from October 11 to 14 where it is the second leg of the 2018-19 PGA TOUR season.

Apart from this weekís winner earning a spot, the highest ranked Malaysian on the Official World Golf Ranking as of October 1 will also earn the right to play in the CIMB Classic.

The CIMB Classic features a limited but elite field of 78 players comprising of the top 60 available players from the 2017-18 PGA TOUR FedExCup points list, eight sponsor exemptions and the top-10 available players from the Asian Tour.

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
Day 2
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3469 MYGOLF

Kim Pulls Three Clear At Halfway Stage Of CIMB National Championship

Kim Leun Kwang

Kuala Lumpur, 26 September 2018: A flawless three-under-par 68 saw Kim Leun Kwang pull three shots clear of the pack at the halfway stage of the CIMB National Championship at TPC Kuala Lumpurís East course on Wednesday.

Starting from the 10th tee, the 23-year-old Kim made birdies on the 16th, 18th and fourth holes to take a giant step closer towards his dream of winning a first professional title and also a spot in the US$7 million CIMB Classic, the only PGA TOUR tournament in Southeast Asia, here next month.

Overnight leader Mohd Sukree Othman shot a 72 to fall into a tie for second place alongside Amir Nazrin Jailani (71), veteran R. Nachimuthu (71) and Kenneth De Silva, who produced the dayís best of 66 in the RM200,000 event.

Kim turned professional at the age of 17 and is keen to secure a career breakthrough at the CIMB National Championship.

ďIt was good Ö my game was steady and I hit a lot of fairways and greens. It was totally different from yesterday where I made nine birdies but had a few hiccups. It was a different game today as I hit it good and made some good putts,Ē said Kim, who leads on seven-under-par 135.

ďA win will mean the world but I donít want to look that far ahead yet. Iíve played well on this course, finished third here two years in a local event. I just feel comfortable as the course fits my eye. Iíve led a few times this year and didnít get it done. Itíll be important to just keep breathing and stay calm.Ē

Sukree, 42, traded three bogeys against four bogeys, including three over his closing four holes which left a bitter taste. ďIt was a disappointing finish. I was quite steady until the last few holes and then I just hit some bad shots. Iím three back now, and itíll be important to stay in it and not be too far behind going into the last day. Iíll work on my short game including my putting later as I missed a few makeable putts,Ē said Sukree, who is aiming to qualify for his first CIMB Classic.

The upcoming Amir was three-over through 14 holes before fighting back with birdies on the sixth, seventh and eighth holes to salvage his round. ďItís a good comeback. I had a rough start and made silly mistakes. I just told myself to not give up and Iím happy to birdie three straight holes. Iíll settle for even par,Ē said the 21-year-old.

De Silva charged home in 30, which included a 20-foot birdie on his penultimate hole, to move into contention. The 27-year-old, who has two career wins locally, finished second in this event behind Ben Leong three years ago.

ďI holed a few good ones on the back nine. Obviously happy with how I played as Iím now back in the tournament. Getting into the CIMB Classic Ö thatís my dream. This is the fastest route to play with the PGA TOUR stars,Ē he said.

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Sponsor
Day 3
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3469 MYGOLF

Kim Stays In Driver Seat At CIMB National Championship

Kim Leun Kwang

Kuala Lumpur, 27 September 2018: Kim Leun Kwang is one step closer towards a dream victory after retaining his overnight three-shot advantage following the third round at the CIMB National Championship at TPC Kuala Lumpurís East course on Thursday.

The 23-year-old Kim carded a four-under-par 67, highlighted by six birdies against two bogeys, to stay ahead of Amir Nazrin Jailani, who stayed in the hunt with a matching 67 which featured five birdies.

With R. Nachimuthu (72), Mohd Sukree Othman (72) and Alex Tiong Wei Zen (69) sharing third place and lying eight shots behind the leader, the fight for the title looks to be between two of the countryís emerging young golfers. The winner on Friday takes home RM30,000 and earns a prized spot in the US$7 million CIMB Classic next month, which is the only PGA TOUR tournament in Southeast Asia.

ďIím happy with my game,Ē said Kim, who is seeking a first professional victory. ďAmir played really well and it was quite fun out there. Hopefully I can do this again tomorrow and I hope itís good enough. I hit my irons solid and gave myself a few chances.Ē

His second bogey of the round on 18 left him slightly disappointed. After missing a drive, he failed to get up and down to save his par. ďSlight hiccup at the last. An under par round is still a good round. Iíll stick to my game plan tomorrow Ö aim to hit fairways and greens. You canít think of the rewards as weíre still 18 holes away,Ē said Kim.

Kim, who turned professional when he was 17, refused to write off the chasing pack despite the eight-shot gap between him and the third-ranked golfers. ďYou never know, someone might shoot a 62 or 63 around here. You canít say theyíre out of it yet. Iíll just need to take care of my own business,Ē he said.

Amir Nazrin

After finishing third in last yearís CIMB National Championship, Amir, 21, kept himself in the chase by trading blows with Kim during their third-round final group match. ďWe hit it close, it was a good fight,Ē said Amir.

ďIíll try to be more aggressive tomorrow. You canít say itís a big lead Ö maybe itís a pressure lead. Three shots, anything can still happen. Iíll try to keep it close and see if I get a chance to overtake him. Iím playing good enough to shoot another low round,Ē said Amir.

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 3:
Day 3 Result

Final Day
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3469 MYGOLF

Kim Savours Playoff Win At CIMB National Championship

Kim Leun Kwang

Kuala Lumpur, 28 September 2018: A battling Kim Leun Kwang claimed a playoff victory over Amir Nazrin Jailani at the CIMB National Championship at TPC Kuala Lumpurís East course on Friday, securing a maiden professional title and a dream appearance at the US$7 million CIMB Classic in two weeksí time.

The 23-year-old Kim, who led by three shots after the second and third rounds, survived some anxious moments during the final round as he was caught by Amir who forced extra time with a four-under-par 67 as both golfers tied on 12-under-par 272.

With the winner earning a prized spot in the PGA TOURís only tournament in Southeast Asia on the line, both golfers found trouble with their tee shots on the par four 18th hole and Kim, who shot a closing 70, emerged victorious with a bogey against Amirís double bogey after the latter agonizingly three-putted from about 15 feet.

ďThis means a lot to me,Ē said Kim, who bagged RM30,000 for his win. ďIíve been looking for my first win for a very long time and I finally did it. It was crazy Ö Amir played really well and gave me a good fight. Iím a bit brain-dead right now and I guess I was on the lucky side. itís not easy to see a golfer three-putting from close range. I feel for him but Iím happy Iím going to be playing in the CIMB Classic.

ďIn the playoff, I saw Amir hit it over the green and I was worse off in the trees and had to cut the ball by some 30 yards or otherwise Iíd be out of bounds. I pulled it off and Iím really happy to be the last man standing. It has taken me a long time to get this win and there were some struggles over the years but I knew it would come someday. Iím really happy now. Having my first win and getting my reward to play in the CIMB Classic is amazing,Ē added Kim, who turned professional when he was 17.

Kim said he walked outside the ropes as a spectator in the last two CIMB Classic tournaments, dreaming that he would one day have the opportunity to compete against the stars from the PGA TOUR.

ďWhen I was younger, I did dream about playing in a PGA TOUR event. Iíve taken it week by week. This feels amazing. I just want to learn from the PGA TOUR players. When Gavin (Green) played here a few times, Iíd come out to watch him as heís my best friend. Itís going to be different this time, Iíll be the one holding the club and Iím going to enjoy it for sure,Ē he said.

It was heartbreak for the second straight year for Amir, who finished third in the CIMB National Championship last year. He turned in 33 to reduce Kimís lead to one and then caught his rival on the 16th hole with his sixth birdie of the day. However, he missed his opportunity with mistakes in the playoff.

ďItís about luck once you get into a playoff. I would have done the same thing over again. I made a silly mistake on the green Ö canít say anything about that now. There was also a stone under my ball in the bunker and the first putt was just too firm. It didnít quite work out for me and I have to accept it,Ē said Amir.

From left: Todd Rhinehart, VP and Executive Director, PGA TOUR, Valrick Harris Zainal, President, PGA of Malaysia, winner Kim Leun Kwang and Effendy Shahul Hamid, CEO, Group Asset Management and Investments, CIMB

Effendy Shahul Hamid, CEO, Group Commercial Banking and Group Asset Management & Investments, CIMB Group, extended his congratulations to Kim. ďWe are delighted to have sponsored this competition as Malaysia's top golfers compete for the coveted spot at the upcoming CIMB Classic 2018. Our heartiest congratulations to Kim Leun Kwang who played a solid game and showed tremendous skill to clinch the championship title. We look forward to having him represent Malaysia at the CIMB Classic 2018, where many of the world's top golfers will compete for a total prize purse of US$7million.

ďThe CIMB Classic has grown the game in Malaysia by inspiring and providing opportunities for top Malaysian golfers to be part of the PGA TOUR. Our commitment is to make the CIMB Classic an enjoyable experience for both golfers and non-golfers alike, and we look forward to welcoming all of them at TPC Kuala Lumpur again from October 11 to 14,Ē said Effendy.

Kim will now have the opportunity to face PGA TOUR stars including 2017 FedExCup champion Justin Thomas, CIMB Classic defending champion Pat Perez, Keegan Bradley, Ryder Cup star Paul Casey, Japanese ace Hideki Matsuyama, 2017 Rookie of the Year Xander Schauffele and World Golf Hall of Fame members, Ernie Els and Davis Love III.

Apart from this weekís winner earning a spot, the highest ranked Malaysian on the Official World Golf Ranking as of October 1 will also earn the right to play in the CIMB Classic which features an elite field of 78 players comprising of the top 60 available players from the 2017-18 PGA TOUR FedExCup points list, eight sponsor exemptions and the top-10 available players from the Asian Tour.

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Final Day:
Final Day Result

CIMB National Championship 2018