Most users ever online was 685 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Reply to topic Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia 2017

Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia 2017
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3424 MYGOLF

Lydia Ko Leads The Way After Round One At TPC Kuala Lumpur
Nur Durriyah, Winnie Ng and Natasha Oon fly the flag for Malaysia in Sime Darby LPGA

Lydia Ko (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

Kuala Lumpur, 26 October 2017: New Zealander Lydia Ko shot a superb seven-under par 64 to top the leader board after round one of the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia, which teed off this morning at TPC Kuala Lumpur.

The 20-year-old former world no. 1 got off to a strong start with birdies on the 1st, 6th, 7th, and 8th holes, followed by a further three on the back nine, to leave her one shot clear of second placed Su Oh from Australia, who led for much of the round.

Three dropped shots by the Australian after the turn leaves her in second place, a shot ahead of trio Eun-Hee Ji of Korea, Madelene Sagstrom of Sweden, and defending champion Shanshan Feng of China.

Shanshan Feng (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

Asked how it felt to shoot her best opening round of the year, Ko said:

“I guess you never really know, because when you're out there, you never think about, ‘hey, what's my lowest round’ and all that. When you're out there playing, you're just trying to make as many birdies as you can and be in a good rhythm.

“I think playing well on the weekend last week really helped me coming into this week. I tried to stay positive, and every shot I hit, I tried to commit to it,” added Ko.

Asked if her first ever round at the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia met her expectations, Oh said:

Su Oh (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

“No, actually I didn't have very high expectations. I just went out there and just played one shot at a time. I was off really early, and it was really dark when I got here.”

With a record around the East Course that has seen her finish in the top two for the last four years, eyes will continue to be on Feng. Speaking after a strong first round, she said:

“I think I just started the round, [saying] ‘5-under is my goal today’, and actually, 5-under [is what I got]. I’m not happy how I scored but if you look at my round, my ball-striking was super. I left myself so many birdie chances. I actually missed a couple out there. I think that's a good thing to do. I think that means maybe I can still make more on the weekend. I think it's a good start.”

Among the eight Malaysians competing in the US$ 1.8 million purse event, it was newly-turned pro Nur Durriyah, and amateurs Winnie Ng and Natasha Oon who lead way for Malaysia. All three posted highly respectable first round scores, finishing at one-over par, and tied in 41st place – alongside such esteemed company as world no.1 So Yeon Ryu, and multiple tour winner, Ariya Jutanugarn.

Nur Durriyah (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

Durriyah, who admitted she was feeling the pressure ahead of this year’s tournament, will take great heart from such a strong opening round. She said:

“I think overall, I'm satisfied with my game today. I made a few bogeys and one double and hope to play better tomorrow. [But] I think today was a good day. I could have done better but I've done my best - I'm happy today actually because I didn't get angry. Everything is okay.”

Meanwhile Oon, who missed Wednesday practise due to her school exam schedule, continues to take the Malaysian golfing world by storm. Playing for her second year in the LPGA showpiece, the sixteen year old continues to show remarkable talent and composure out on course. Speaking after her round, she said:

Natasha Andrea Oon (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

“I had a really good game today. It's just that I blew one hole. It made my score a little bit higher, but I'm pretty happy with how I maintained my score today.”

For Kelly Tan, it will sadly be a birthday to forget. Turning 24 today, the LPGA Tour player endured a torrid round which included a sextuple-bogey on the 18th after three shots into the water. At 11-over par, it will be difficult for the Malaysian no.1 to come back from here.

Day 1 Leaderboard

64 Lydia Ko (NZL)
65 Su Oh (AUS)
66 Shanshan Feng (CHN), Madelene Sagstrom (SWE), Eun-Hee Ji (KOR)
67 Candie Kung (TWN), Suzann Pettersen (NOR)
68 Gaby Lopez (MEX), Sung Hyun Park (KOR), Moriya Jutanugarn (THA), Minjee Lee (AUS), Danielle Kang (USA), Jacqui Concolino (USA), Nelly Korda (USA)
69 Karine Icher (FRA), Sei Young Kim (KOR), Brittany Lincicome (USA), Laura Gonzalez Escallon (BEL), Brittany Lang (USA)

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 1:
Day 1 Result

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
Day 2
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3424 MYGOLF

Feng Continues KL Love Affair
Defending Champion goes one shot clear of chasing pack at halfway stage of Sime Darby LPGA.
Winnie Ng leads Malaysians on even-par.

Kuala Lumpur, 27 October 2017: It was a case of déjà vu at TPC Kuala Lumpur today, as defending champion, Shanshan Feng, resumed her position at the top of the leaderboard after a weather-affected round two of the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia.

The Chinese world no.6 shot a flawless 6-under par 65 to lead the tournament by one shot from second placed Madelene Sagstrom of Sweden.

Feng’s love affair with the East Course at TPC Kuala Lumpur has seen her win twice and finish runner-up twice in the last four years. It’s a record bettered only by her caddy Mercer Leftwich who was on the winner’s bag in the inaugural tournament, won by Jimin Kang, in 2010. Speaking after her round, Feng said:

“Overall today was a very good round. I didn’t have as many birdie chances as yesterday but I think I actually made more putts so that makes me happy! 6-under is a very good score here. I really enjoyed playing with my team mates, Suzann and Madelene.”

Looking ahead to the weekend, she added, “Stick to the plan and do the same thing.”

Sagstrom continues to show impressive form around the East Course. Paired with Feng, the LPGA Tour rookie matched her first-round score with another 5-under par score. If it wasn’t for dropped shots on holes 1 and 2, she would be sitting atop the leaderboard as the tournament heads into the weekend. Speaking about her highest place in an LPGA tournament, she said:

Madelene Sagstrom (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

“I feel great. I had a really good run for it after the rain delay and I was really excited to get some good shots back. I started rolling the putter really well. I'm just enjoying it out here. I'm not trying to focus on the leaderboard at the moment. I'm just trying to go out and play good golf and have fun.”

A shot further back in third place, Christie Kerr put in a glorious round of 8-under 63, bringing herself very much into contention. One shot off the course record, the former world no.1 said:

“I felt great. You know, I found a groove with my swing and a feel that I haven't had in my swing in a while. It felt good to hit some really solid shots out there. I'm just working really hard and I feel very blessed to do what I do. I've been one of best for a long time, and very blessed to have that happen. So just got to keep working hard, stick to my game plan and my feels out there and stay out of my own way. That's the plan.”

Amongst the Malaysian players, amateur Winnie Ng continues to impress. Starting on the 10th tee, the 16-year-old got off to a strong start with birdies on 10, 15 and 16. Double bogeys on 2 and 3 slowed her progress, but she retained her composure to pick up consecutive shots on holes 4 and 5, shooting 1-under par for the day and even-par on aggregate.

Winnie Ng (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

Speaking after her round, the Bukit Jalil Golf Club player said:

“Before the rain delay, I had a double and then I had a putt for bogey to go, and then I was really down and sad. So I went back to the club and I ate a lot. I ate cake. I drank a lot. I told myself, ‘you know, sometimes bad things happen, but it's the way you respond to it. You have a choice to feel good or feel bad. Just go there and have no expectation and just play your game.’

“After that, I just hit to the pin. I don't know how, I was aiming to the green and the ball just goes to the pin. I managed to putt the ball in and I'm really happy.”

Three shots behind her is fellow 16-year-old Natasha Oon, who shot a 2-over par 73 in round two, to leave her on 3-over par on aggregate. Kelly Tan recovered from her round one disappointment, shooting an impressive 4-under for the day, leaving her and spectators wondering what might have been.

Day 2 Leaderboard

131 Shanshan Feng (CHN) 66-65
132 Madelene Sagstrom (SWE) 66-66
133 Cristie Kerr (USA) 70-63
134 Sei Young Kim (KOR) 69-65
135 Danielle Kang (USA) 68-67
136 Carlota Ciganda (ESP) 70-66,Brittany Lincicome (USA) 69-67, Jacqui Concolino (USA) 68-68, Nelly Korda (USA) 68-68, Gaby Lopez (MEX) 68-68, Suzann Pettersen (NOR) 67-69, Candie Kung (TWN) 67-69, Su Oh (AUS) 65-71, Lydia Ko (NZL) 64-72

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 2:
Day 2 Result

Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Sponsor
Day 3
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3424 MYGOLF

Kerr Leads At TPC KL As Sime Darby Heads Into Final Stretch

Cristie Kerr (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

Kuala Lumpur, 28 October 2017: Seasoned pro Cristie Kerr put herself in prime position to claim a second tour win of the year at TPC Kuala Lumpur on Saturday, carding 6-under par 65, to leave her with a slender one-shot cushion over over-night leader Shanshan Feng.

The American shot seven birdies and one bogey on the East Course to replace Feng at the top of the leaderboard as the tournament heads into the final stretch. With 19 LPGA Tour victories to her name, the former world no.1 knows how to close out a tournament, setting up the prospect of a thrilling finish on Sunday.

The 40-year old Kerr has shown consistent form all year, winning the LOTTE Championship in April and claiming a further eight top-10 finishes to date, but victory at the US$ 1.8 million purse Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia would be a stellar achievement, even by her standards. Speaking after her round, Kerr said:

"Well, I definitely hit it better, and when I give my putter chances, usually I do okay with that. So it's been fun the last couple days.

"I'm just going to enjoy it. I'm really blessed. I'm just going to try to not put too much pressure on myself. I didn't hit it great coming in on the back but I didn't stress about it. I just tried to do the best I could. That's where I play my best golf from; I try to do the best on every shot, so that's my mantra tomorrow.”

Feng had a quiet round by her standards on a course she is very at home with, making 3-under par 68. But with a record around the East Course that boasts two wins and two runner-up finishes in the last four years, she will fancy her chances on Sunday. The world no. 6 from China said:

"I think the key is to find the fairways and to find the greens here and I think that's what I've been doing pretty well. Even if I'm not on the greens, maybe the up-and-downs wouldn't have been too hard, but I'm just feeling comfortable here. I'm not really trying to think about that bogey-free thing, I just want to keep the good playing going.”

In third place, and four shots off the lead, Sei Young Kim of Korea continues to keep some pressure on the leaders and will be looking for a strong finish to bring herself into contention on Sunday.

One shot behind Kim and tied at 10-under par are Stacy Lewis and Jacqui Concolino.

The eight-strong Malaysian contingent were unable to follow through on some of the promise shown in the first two rounds, 4-over par being the benchmark score for the day, set by Winnie Ng, Kelly Tan and Aretha Pan. 16-yer old amateur Ng continues to lead the national players with a very respectable score of 4-over par on aggregate.

Winnie Ng (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

Speaking about her plan for the final round, Ng said: “My game plan is to play safe, play like a professional, hit for the middle of the green and hope for the best.”

Pink Saturday saw a sea of pink descend on TPC Kuala Lumpur as the tournament continued in its efforts to raise funds for charitable partner Cancer Research Malaysia. With RM 181,450 raised over the first two days, organisers will have good reason to be pleased.

Day 3 Leaderboard

198 Cristie Kerr (USA) 70-63-65
199 Shanshan Feng (CHN) 66-65-68
202 Sei Young Kim (KOR) 69-65-68
203 Jacqui Concolino (USA) 68-68-67
204 Sarah Jane Smith (AUS) 74-65-65, Sung Hyun Park (KOR) 68-69-67, Danielle Kang (USA) 68-67-69

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 3:
Day 3 Result

Day 4
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3424 MYGOLF

Cristie Kerr Wins Thriller At TPC Kuala Lumpur
American saves the best until last to claim 20th tour win at Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia

Cristie Kerr (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

Kuala Lumpur, 29 October 2017: American Cristie Kerr holed a 36-foot birdie putt on the 18th hole to close out a thrilling final round and win the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia by one shot.

After a dropped shot by Kerr on the 17th, it looked as though the tournament was heading for a four-way play-off together with Danielle Kang, Jacqui Concolino and Shanshan Feng, but the seasoned pro showed her class to make the putt and claim the winner’s cheque of US$ 270,000.

Kerr carded an even-par 71 for the round which included four birdies, two bogeys and a double-bogey on the par-3 seventh.

Fan favourite Feng was also unable to break par on a course that she has so dominated over the years. One shot behind Feng at the start of play, the popular Chinese looked like she was out of the running with dropped shots on the 9th and 13th holes. But she fought her way back and had the opportunity to force a play-off with her final putt, but it was to be Kerr’s year.

Cristie Kerr with Tun Musa Hitam (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

Speaking after her victory, Kerr said:

With a little more adrenaline today, it was a little more difficult to execute the way I wanted to. Being in the final group on Sunday, you know, coming down to the wire, that's what you feel. I've been there enough to know that you just take deep breaths and you do the best you could.”

In reference to the last putt, she added, “When I hit it, I could just tell it was going in. It was the most amazing thing. Like it was perfect speed; if it missed, it was going to be two feet by. It was right in the center [and] never even thought about missing."

Danielle Kang produced her low round of the tournament, carding 5-under par 66 and was leader in the clubhouse at the closing stages of the tournament. She was soon joined by Jacqui Concolino, who had the opportunity to go top with a puttable birdie chance on the 18th.

Feng, who extends her record of finishing in the top-two for a fifth year running, said:

"I tried my best. On the last three holes, I made two birdies, and on the last hole, Cristie held that putt. You know, I was just trying to make that putt, but I didn't. I think second is still not a bad finish here, and I'm still keeping my record pretty good here in Malaysia. So it goes 2-1-2-1-2; I'll come back next year and see if I can keep it up."

Finishing at a respectable 9-over par on aggregate, 16-year-old Malaysian Winnie Ng collected the leading amateur prize, while also topping the eight-strong Malaysian contingent. Asked how she felt to be the lead national, Ng said:

“Really good. I was really grateful that I have such a good opportunity to play in this event, thanks to Sime Darby LPGA. And I had a lot of fun with the professionals. They were really friendly, all of them, for this week, all the players.

Cristie Kerr (left), the Champion with Winnie Ng (right), the Best Amatuer [/b] (photo credit: SimeDarby LPGA)

“Last year, my mistake was I playing their game plan. Some of them, they attack the pin and I did the same thing. But you know, amateurs are not as good. So this year, I learned to play my own game plan; hit it to the middle of the green. I learned to not expect anything. I told myself that I'm not going to expect myself to be in any position, and not to expect all of this to happen. Just play with no pressure and just have fun.”

At 40 years old, Kerr becomes the first winner over the age of 40 since Catriona Matthew won the 2011 Lorena Ochoa Invitational at 42. With her win, Kerr earns 500 points and is projected to move from seventh to fifth in the Race to CME Globe with 2,583 points.

It also takes the American’s season earnings over the US$ 1.4 million mark, and with career earnings at some US$ 19,142,286, Kerr becomes the third player in LPGA history to cross the $19 million mark, joining Annika Sorenstam and Karrie Webb.

Steven Thielke, CEO of TPC Kuala Lumpur and Chairman of the Tournament Committee said:

“Congratulations to Cristie on a fantastic and highly deserved win at the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia. She is a true champion and the embodiment of ‘Women with Drive’. We wish her more success in the years to come.

“We’ve enjoyed four days of first class golf, food, music and entertainment here at TPC Kuala Lumpur. Thank you to all the fans that have made their way to the club and I hope they have enjoyed Malaysia’s most fun golf tournament as much as we have,” added Thielke.

A long-term supporter of breast cancer research, Kerr’s win is a fitting result for an event that has done so much to support cancer research in Malaysia. With fund raising efforts still ongoing, Kerr’s commitment to make a donation to Cancer Research Malaysia will be the icing on the cake for the 8th edition of the tournament.

Play was suspended from 12.38 to 13.45 due to risk of lightening strike.

Final Day Leaderboard

269 Cristie Kerr (USA) 70-63-65-71
270 Danielle Kang (USA) 68-67-69-66, Jacqui Concolino (USA) 68-68-67-67, Shanshan Feng (CHN) 66-65-68-71
271 Brooke M. Henderson (CAN) 70-69-68-64, Nelly Korda (USA) 68-68-70-65, Sung Hyun Park (KOR) 68-69-67-67, Stacy Lewis (USA) 71-66-66-68
272 In Gee Chun (KOR) 72-66-68-66, Sei Young Kim (KOR) 69-65-68-70
273 Lydia Ko (NZL) 64-72-70-67, Madelene Sagstrom (SWE) 66-66-73-68

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Final Day:
Final Day Result

Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia 2017