In total there are 269 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 269 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 926 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic Awana Golf Resort

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
geraldsaw

633 MYGOLF
was supposed to play here last mon morning for 9.30 am tee off. 9.30 is last morning t off. mist covered the whole mountain from the 1st check point onwards. had to drive with highlights and very carefully. even saw a car spinning on the other side of the rd while trying to brake for a corner.

plan a. arr at tee box 1 and saw a flight teeing off. & was told its the first flight as the mist was too strong. could not see them beyond 80 m. realised that it will be plugs all the way.

plan b - play at selesa. havent' played here since it became 18 holes. wow now got buggy and hot water. wet but not soggy. 2nd 9 very challenging and dry. very fun. lol. remembered there was a huge tree in the middle of the 7 hole fairway - now its missing.
Great course!
Keng

193 MYGOLF
I have forgotten what a wonderful course Awana can be, until today Very Happy

We teed off around 8am. The course was wet due to intermittent rain the last few days , but no puddles or anything like that. No mist either by this time but the setting was perfect. Cool morning, tree lined fairways and very scenic views of the highlands. Before anyone asks, no embedded balls on the fairway!

The course itself has SR of some 137 from the blue (back) tees and thus quite punishing if one doesn't have a fairly accurate tee shot. The fairways are not wide and if the shots leave most (not all) of the fairways, it's quite unlikely you'll ever see your ball again.

The condition of the fairways is pretty good considering the maintenance nightmare at any hillside/forest type course as it can be easily invaded by weeds. Although the fairway is made up of mixed grass, it's nicely mowed except for one fairway, hole 16 I think where a portion of the fairway has recently been patched with grass and sand and rightly so, partly marked GUR.

The greens are also in fairly good condition, perhaps maybe except for the par 3's with elevated t-boxes which collected a few pitch marks. Otherwise, in my estimate, the greens are probably running at 8 or so, average of most courses around the Klang Valley. The roll is quite true even over some slightly damaged areas.

The buggys are in fairly good condition as well. No complains.

The changing rooms are clean and showers with hot water runs well. Towels are clean as well, with no smell!!! Top marks for that!

The price, with AGSSG card, it costs RM60 for green fees and buggy and promotional rate by the club is RM73 per golfer. Although the is a notice saying "Caddy compulsory" (RM45). Caddies were no where to be found is thus we were allowed to play without caddy. Awana allows 2 balls during weekday mornings but if playing 3 balls, you'll have to spend another RM30 for the single user buggy.

In conclusion, I've played a few courses around Thailand and Indonesia and I know what a good golf course should be. However, with Awana today, I think it's money well spent and if the condition remains the about the same, I'll be happy to play Awana any day (free time allowing). For RM60, I don't need to travel to Bandung and pay RM205 for the same punishment Cool
Sponsor
Dmav

23 MYGOLF
Since I'm stays and plays here often. Here are something that I hope may help out. I'm not a weather forecaster so it is solely based on my experience for the past 5 years in this place...

February - June
This would be the ideal month to play here. If you are lucky enough, it may not rain for few days and you will get some nice soft fairways and fast greens.

July - September
OK month to play with occassion rain but still manageable.

October - January
During these months, weather would be very unpredictable with heavy mist in the morning and intermittent misty condition, rain on and off... For morning goers, recommended to tee-off after 9am.

"NOTE"
Mid November - Early February
I call these months the Korean invasion months... There would be heaps and heaps of Korean group coming during this months that the course would be full of them starting at 8am and these people plays at least 2 rounds a day -_-" ... If you are thinking of playing around this months, I suggest you call up and check if there are Korean groups thats playing and ask them to recommend you the tee-off time to prevent from waiting too long and dissappointment (Normally I would tee-off at first light during these month if the weather permits).

This course will need plenty of accuracy and for certain hole, a good distance control and you would be mostly playing carry distance instead of carry and roll. I could explain hole by hole to you but its going to be too long so I will let you all explore on it. Yes, it is soggy most of the time and plugged ball is a norm here. But they have done a great deal to the fairways and it is not as bad as you think unless you play after a heavy down pour or after several days of continuous rain...

Anyway, the facilities is good and hope you all enjoy playing here as I had every week Smile

UlarTedung

26 MYGOLF
Hi,

Anyone played here recently? Wondering if this area is badly affected by Haze as most courses in KL damn hard to play now. Thinking of running here to play as hand too itchy now!
Upgraded golf course at Awana provides pleasurable challenge
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3449 MYGOLF
Golfers' Paradise High In The Clouds
Upgraded golf course at Awana provides pleasurable challenge

Genting Highlands, 7 April 2017: Scenic mountain views, cool weather and a challenging 18-hole course are among the elements that ensure an excellent golfing experience at Awana Golf Resort. Golfers everywhere would also derive pleasure from the knowledge that they are experiencing a course designed by renowned golf architect Ronald Fream.

Fream built the golf course that opened in 1986. For more than three decades, the golf resort has provided countless pleasurable and challenging moments to golfers, both professional and amateur. And now the golf course has been given a whole new lease of life—the course has kicked it up a notch, having carried out improvement works in order to better serve the avid golfer who just can't get enough of the sport.

Awana Golf Resort, no doubt one of the top golf resorts in the country, has long been popular among all types of golfers, the course has undergone major upgrading works. The greens, fairway, tee boxes and bunkers have all seen improvement, and every area including soil profile, sand-capping, drainage and turfing, has been looked into.

For the avid golfer, the upgrading project translates into great value. The accomplished player can look forward to a more satisfying session but certainly all skill levels of golfers can expect an enjoyable time on the golf course.

Natural features provide challenge
The golf resort takes advantage of the rolling countryside, making sure to preserve the lovely natural terrain while still providing challenge to golfers. Part of the appeal of the course lies in its spectacular layout combined with the natural surroundings provided by a rich variation of flora and fauna.

Awana's location at 3,100 ft above sea level means golfers enjoy great mountain weather, with temperature staying steady between 22 and 25 degrees all year long. The high altitude, however, means the golf course may be damn on the fairways—something the resort has since rectified by carrying out extensive repair work for the last two years. The fairways today are in good condition even after a down pour.

What other facts consummate golfers would find interesting? Much of the challenge comes from the natural features of the undulating terrain. At 7,071 yards in length, the golf course could be classified as a great “risk-reward” type of course where on many holes, golfers can take short cuts over the surrounding trees. This makes the game more challenging—something that competitive golfers would appreciate—as it means the course is narrow and can very quickly consume their golf balls.

Challenging 18-hole course
Those who have experienced Awana Golf Resort would know where the toughest tests await—providing both challenge and excitement. Generally, the 18 holes on a course are ranked according to how hard they are using the Stroke Index system. This usually means the hardest hole on a course is Stroke Index One, as opposed to the easiest being Stroke Index 18.

Hole 1 on Awana's course is said to be the toughest one in terms of layout. Being an Index One, it creates phobia in the minds of golfers—and this drive has a huge monsoon drain in front and the jungle on the right.

Hole 2, in comparison, is Index 17—a straightforward par four with the jungle on the left and trees on the right. A well-positioned shot should be in the centre between the bunkers. Players are advised to play a short approach as there is a ravine beyond the small green.

Hole 3 is highly pleasurable—a scenic hole with an Index Seven where on a clear day, golfers are able to see Resorts World Genting from the tee box. An ideal tee shot would be some 200 metres in the centre next to the bunker.

Hole 4, an Index 15, is described as “most challenging par” where golfers have to tee off from an elevated tee box overlooking a huge pond.

Then there's Hole 5—par five with an Index Five that is said to be an “excellent birdie opportunity hole.” Still, the fairway is quite flat and narrow with obstacles on the left and right. An accurate approach is imperative here as there's also a huge pond providing challenge.

Hole 6 is a downhill par three where most balls usually land well before the putting green. Players are advised to look out for the bunker in front and the pond on the right.

Hole 7—par four with an Index Nine—is, on the other hand, described as a “breathtaking hole” where golfers are required to carry a deep ravine to the centre of the fairway.

Average golfers would find Hole 8 more daunting—an Index Three with the longest par five—

while Hole 9, an Index 11 that is an uphill hole with a fast green on dry days, is often described as not an easy bunker to come out from.

Things are equally tricky with Hole 10, often described as an underestimated hole. A par four carrying an Index Four, its straight and narrow fairway looks deceptively easy.

Another tricky hole is the spectacularly scenic Hole 11, an Index 14 that requires a well-positioned tee shot. Golfers are to avoid hitting to the left, otherwise they run the risk of the vegetation there swallowing their golf ball.

Hole 12, 13 and 14—ranked 12, six and 16 respectively on the Stroke Index system—are all challenging. Hole 12 is known as a “notorious double dogleg hole” where the landing area for the first shot is very narrow, while Hole 13 is uphill all the way from tee to green. Hole 14, on the other hand, is downhill all the way and has hazards on the left.

Golfers will find that a good tee shot is imperative on Hole 15, an Index 10 and the longest par three on the layout.

With Hole 16, an Index Two, they can expect a tricky two-tier green. This one is an uphill hole with a narrow fairway flanked by the jungle on the left and ravine on the right.

The shortest par three is Hole 17 and here, golfers are advised to go for the green on the right, otherwise they risk losing their golf ball as there is a sand trap on the left.

Last but not least, there is Hole 18, a par four with an Index Eight that has seen too many golfers going too far right and as a result, could only watch helplessly as their golf balls fly into the ravine. The trick is to place their golf ball near the bunker on the right, some 200 metres from the tee box, as the trees on the left, it is said, are quite intimidating.

Bed & Breakfast Golf Package
The resort has sweetened the deal further for golfers by offering a Bed & Breakfast Golf Package that they would find irresistible. The walk-in rate package that is for a single person for one round of golf on the resort's 18-hole course (including buggy service). It is priced at RM300 for weekdays (Monday to Friday) and RM350 for weekends (Saturday, Sunday) and public holidays.

In addition, if guest decide to stay a night, Superior Deluxe Room which comes with buffet breakfast at Rajawali restaurant is available for golfer at an additional rate of RM200 (weekday) and RM230 (weekend).

For more information, call +603 2718 1118 or visit www.rwgenting.com

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
Sponsor
Awana Golf Resort