Reply to topic Malaysian Amateur Open 2017

Malaysian Amateur Open 2017
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3379 MYGOLF
Patient Albright In Contention At The 115th Malaysian Amateur Open

Albright Chong

Kota Kinabalu, 18 May 2017: A calm approach paid off for local hope Albright Chong Ming Soon as he trails by two strokes after the opening round of the 115th edition of the Malaysian Amateur Open on Thursday.

Fresh from winning the Sabah Amateur Open three weeks ago, the 20-year-old Sabahan was in an inspired mood as he traded four birdies with as many bogeys to return with an even-par 71 to take a share of sixth placing alongside India Yashas Chandra and last year's runner-up Witchayanon Chothirungnrungrueng of Thailand.

At the top of the leaderboard is Wen Chen-Hsiang of Chinese Taipei, who carded a brilliant two-under 69 to lead by a single stroke from Singapore's Joshua Ho, South Korean Dong Hun Jung as well as the Thai pair of Sadom Kaewkanjana and Sangchai Kaewcharoen.

Wen Chen-Hsiang (TPE)

Australia's Lachlan Barker shot a round of six-over 77 to get his title defence off to a rough start at the Nexus Golf Resort Karambunai.

With the greens playing firm and the winds from the South China Sea proving a real challenge, Chong birdied all three of the par-fives and credited a patient gameplan to his solid opening effort.

"I'm happy with the start. I didn't play aggressively and picked the pins which I could attack and naturally, I gave myself a good look on the par-fives. Had a few errant shots that brought about the bogeys but other that than, I kept to my plan at the start of the round," said the Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) undergraduate.

The 2012 Sukan Malaysia (SUKMA) gold medallist noted that his recent win has reinvigorated his confidence to compete against a top regional field gathered here this week.

"It's always good to come into major championship with a title in the bag and my win at Keningau at the end of April was a real confidence booster. I had geared my schedule with the aim of doing well at the Sabah Amateur Open and the Malaysian Amateur Open and I'm pleased with the outcome so far.

Day 1 Leaderboard
Malaysian unless stated

69 Wen Chen-Hsiang (TPE)
70 Sadom Kaekanjana (THA), Sangchai Kaewcharoen (THA), Joshua Ho (SIN), Dong Hun Jung (KOR)
71 Yashas Chandran (IND), Albright Chong, Witchayanon Chothirunrungrueng (THA)
72 Ruperto Zaragosa III (PHI), Anthony T. Doss (USA), Kosuke Hamamoto (THA), Lucius Toh (SIN), Kevin Caesario Akbar (INA)
73 Marc Ong (SIN), Sun-Yi Lu (TPE), Sajawat Sriprasit (THA), Yi-Tong Chen (TPE)

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 1:

Day 1 Result

Irons: Saqra Forged INB-213CB (5-P)
Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Putter: TaylorMade Corza 72 Ghost Tour
Balls: Titleist ProV1, PRoV1x
Day 2
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3379 MYGOLF
Battling Sangchaimoves To The Top At The 115th Malaysian Amateur Open

Sangchai Kaewcharoen (THA)

Kota Kinabalu, 19 May 2017: Rising Thai teenager Sangchai Kaewcharoen overcame punishing conditions to snatch the halfway lead at the Malaysian Amateur Open on Friday.

The Bangkok native added a solid round of two-under 69 to his opening 70 to edge a shot clear of compatriot Sadom Kaewkanjana (70) at the wind-swept Nexus Golf Resort Karambunai.

Sangchai was four-under through 16 holes before conceding back-to-back bogeys at the end to sign for a three-under 139 overall in the 115th edition of the prestigious amateur championship.

Yashas Chandra, India's third ranked golfer, returned with a one-under 70 to take sole third on 141 ahead of 2016 runner-up Witchayanon Chothirungrungrueng (71) of Thailand and Chinese Taipei's Wen Chen-Hsiang (73).

Malaysia's best placed player was South East Asia (SEA) Games trainee Galven Kendall Green, who carded a much-improved 69 to sit in a tie for 13th on four-over 146.

Sangchai got off to a quiet start, making the turn with an even-par 36 but rode his luck with four birdies inside six holes. But the long hours and soaring temperatures took its toll on the 17-year-old, who dropped two shots coming in.

"I was pretty lucky today. I wasn't driving the ball very well today but I got a few lucky breaks when the ball bounced back from the rough into the fairway. I managed to put those close for birdie putts.

"On the last hole, I had a bad lie and my second shot found the water. But fortunately, I was still able to play a shot from the edge of the pond and salvaged a bogey. Wasn't the perfect ending to a round but I'm happy with that effort," shared the Thai.

Having previously won the Sarawak International Junior Golf Championship in 2014, Sangchai is hoping to end his trip to Sabah on a high note.

"I felt I managed the course and conditions well, eventhough I was tiring towards the end. I just need to give myself a lot more birdie chances to have a go at the championship," added the 2016 Singapore Amateur Open runner-up.

Galven Green

Malaysian number one Green was pleased to bounce back as he traded three birdies against a bogey to make the weekend within touching distance of the leading pack.

"I felt I was a lot more focused today and didn't allow the delays and heat to get to me. I hit better shots overall and that set-up better scoring chances, which I converted a few. I'd think I can improve on that and just give a look on the weekend," noted the three-time national champion.

A total of 63 players advanced into the weekend with the cut coming at 17-over 159.

Day 2 Leaderboard
Malaysian unless stated

139 Sangchai Kaewcharoen (THA) 70-69
140 Sadom Kaewkanjana (THA) 70-70
141 Yashas Chandra (IND) 71-70
142 Witchayanon Chothirungrungrueng (THA) 71-71, Wen Chen-Hsiang (TPE) 69-73
143 Sun Yi Lu (TPE) 73-70, Kosuke Hamamoto (THA) 72-71, Joshua Ho (SIN) 70-73
144 Naraajie Emerald Ramadhanputra (INA) 74-70, Yi-Tong Chen (TPE) 73-71
145 Yuan-Wei Lin (TPE) 74-71, Lucius Toh (SIN) 72-73
146 GALVEN KENDALL GREEN 77-69, Low Wee Jin (SIN) 76-70, Marc Ong (SIN) 73-73, Dong Hun Jung (KOR) 70-76

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 2:

Day 2 Result

Wedges: Grindworks Forged 86E-Grind ( 50 & 58 ), Titleist Vokey SM5 (54) M-Grind
Sponsor
Day 3
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3379 MYGOLF
Sadom Headlines Thai Title Charge At The 115th Malaysian Amateur Open

Sadom Kaewkanjana (THA)

Kota Kinabalu, 20 May 2017: Sadom Kaewkanjana made light of swirling winds to snatch a two-stroke lead going into the final round of the 115th Malaysian Amateur Open.

The 18-year-old Thai turned in a near flawless two-under 69 in tough scoring conditions to lead compatriot and 2016 runner-up Witchayanon Chothirungrungrueng (69) with a four-under 209 total.

Sadom, the reigning Philippine Amateur Open champion, rode on his consistent short game as he mixed three birdies with a single bogey to remain the only player to have shot three successive under-par rounds at the Nexus Golf Resort Karambunai.

Overnight leader Sangchai Kaewcharoen, also of Thailand, stumbled with a five-over 76 to settle for sole third on 215.

The two immediate past champions - Lachlan Barker (67) of Australia and Singapore's Marc Ong (71) were among a group of five players a further two strokes adrift in joint fourth.

Any hopes of a local charge on moving day did not materialise as Hui Yong Sherng returned as the best-placed local with a 71 to sit in joint 15th on eight-over 221.

Witchayanon Chothirungrungrueng (THA) (THA)

Having helped the Thailand to the team championship on Friday, Sadom now has his sights set on becoming the first player from regional powerhouse to win the championship since Thanyakorn Khrongpha in 2009.

"That felt good. My short game delivered today and I managed to save a couple shots. Made some good birdies coming down the stretch and didn't drop too many shots, which was really good," said the Bangkok-based golfer.

"It's been a grind for every player in the field but my goal was simple: just keep the ball in play and stay patient. When faced with more difficult pins, I took a more conservative approach and when I had my shorter irons in hand, I was confident to attack the flag and try to make birdies."

He noted that his birdie on eighth, when he managed to find the green with an audacious approach shot after missing the fairway, was important to get his round going.

"My round had been very quiet to that point. I was pretty confident that I could reach the green despite borrowing the adjoining teebox and I hit a beautiful approach to the front of the pin for a makeable birdie. It was the kick-start that I needed," added Sadom, who birdied 14 and 17 either side of a dropped shot on 16.

Day 3 Leaderboard
Malaysian unless stated

209 Sadom Kaewkanjana (THA) 70-70-69
211 Witchayanon Chothirungrungrueng (THA) 71-71-69
215 Sangchai Kaewcharoen (THA) 70-69-76
217 Marc Ong (SIN) 73-73-71, Sun-Yi Lu (TPE) 73-70-74, Kosuke Hamamoto (THA) 72-71-74, Joshua Ho (SIN) 70-73-74, Lachlan Barker (AUS) 77-73-67
218 Yashas Chandra (IND) 71-70-77
219 Atiruj Winaicharoenchai (THA) 76-77-66, Gregory Foo (SIN) 74-75-70, Naraajie Emerald Ramadhanputra (INA) 74-70-75, Low Wee Jin (SIN) 76-70-73, Anshul Patel (IND) 77-70-72

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Day 3:

Day 3 Result

Final day
gbrian
Site Admin
Site Admin

3379 MYGOLF
Sadom Wins The 115th Malaysian Amateur Open

Sadom Kaewkanjana (THA)

Kota Kinabalu, 21 May 2017: Thai teenager Sadom Kaewkanjana survived a final round tussle with compatriot Witchayanon Chothirungruengrueng to triumph in a play-off at the 115th Malaysian Amateur Open on Sunday.

Sadom had the luxury of three putts to win the prestigious championship on the first extra hole after Witchayanon had pulled his tee-shot into the water hazard and clipped his next two shots into trouble before conceding.

Witchayanon (THA)

The defeat proved especially painful for Witchayanon, who was aiming to avenge his play-off defeat to Australia Lachlan Barker at Templer Park Country Club last year.

The 20-year-old from Bangkok had earlier stormed into a commanding three-shot lead after a brilliant front nine birdie run at the Nexus Golf Resort Karambunai.

But dropped shots on 15 and 16 for a closing two-under 69 handed the initiative back to overnight leader Sadom, who rallied with birdies on 14 and 17 either side of a bogey on 16 to turn in an even-par 71 to level the contest at four-under 280.

Sadom Kaewkanjana (THA)

Sadom, who had won the Philippine Amateur Open earlier in the year, was delighted to add to his collection of national amateur championships.

"My game held up today and I am delighted to win this championship. It's always hard to beat your own team mate to a title but that's golf. Witchayanon had a great start today and I was playing catch up for most of the round. Obviously, his run of bad luck sort of coincided with my birdies," shared the 18-year-old.

He noted that his 15-foot birdie putt on the 14 gave him the extra confidence to rally and win the championship.

"I threw caution into the wind and just started attacked the pins. I was running out of holes to make up the deficit and my aggressive approach paid off. That birdie was the booster I needed to get my round going and I knew I could finish strongly.

From left: Sabah Golf Association president Datuk George Bandusena, Malaysian Golf Association vice-president Datuk Mohamed Zain Yusuf, champion Sadom Kaewkanjana of Thailand and Malaysian Golf Association president Senator Admiral (R) Tan Sri Dato Setia Mohd Anwar Mohd Nor.

"I was all pumped going into the play-off and I knew I had a good chance if I kept the ball in regulation. In the end, a bogey proved enough and I'm really pleased with my display," added Sadom, who hopes that his latest victory will confirm his spot in the regional powerhouse's South East Asia (SEA) Games squad.

An inspired final round 67 saw India's Yashas Chandra take sole possesion of third on 285 while another Thai - Kosuke Hamamoto - was further two strokes adrift in fourth.

Malaysia's best finisher was Galven Kendall Green - the 16-year-old national totalling 11-over par on the back of rounds of 77,69,76 and 73 to settle for joint 16th.

Final Day Leaderboard
Malaysian unless stated

280 Sadom Kaewkanjana (THA) 70-70-69-71, Witchayanon Chothirungruengrueng (THA) 71-71-69-69
Sadom wins on the first play-off hole with a bogey
285 Yashas Chandra (IND) 71-70-77-67
287 Kosuke Hamamoto (THA) 72-71-74-70
290 Atiruj Winaicharonechai (THA) 76-77-66-71, Sangchai Kaewcharoen (THA) 70-69-76-75
291 Lachlan Barker (AUS) 77-73-67-74
292 Gregory Foo (SIN) 74-75-70-73, Low Wee Jin (SIN) 76-70-73-73, Joshua Ho (SIN) 70-73-74-75

~~~~~ENDS~~~~~

Click the link below for full scoring on Final Day:

Final Day Result

Malaysian Amateur Open 2017