Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 1775 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:01 am

Reply to topic Putters

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Putters
simivan

706 MYGOLF
Some may not agree, but this might be the most important piece of equipment in our bag and usually determines whether we break 100, 90 or even 80 (for some) - most might say the driver is more important.
The popular saying is that putters are very personal, all about feel and blah blah blah.
A lot of golfers would change and go through many different brands and types of putters over the years, some more than others but there are also those who would just play the same putter from when they first started.
Some would also be willing and able to pay top money for the top brands - Scotty, TM etc while some would just buy those generic or knock-offs with funny brand names at bargains for 100 or less.
I started with a Ping Anser blade putter (it the earlier years was quite reasonably priced not like now - I think new you could get for around 200) and used it for quite a long while, then switched to a Mizuno bought at a bargain used only for a short while and bought another bargain putter - can't remember the actual brand, Burrows or something - those guys came out with those clubs with holes or cavity in them - the putter was also some weird design - used this again for many years and finally gave it together with a 2nd hand set I sold to someone in this forum I think.
Then I bought online from USA a Never Compromise mallet (been using blades all this while) - this one with that fancy metal strip insert but also part plastic and the plastic cracked after less than 2 years - I was even using it for a few months after it cracked and had to putt off center where the face was still intact (if I struck the cracked part - the sound is like hitting a broken ping pong ball and the ball will just travel a few inches!)
Had some problems with the insurance claims (even till today still cannot claim) so a friend had an Odyssey white ice semi-mallet lying around in his house and passed to me so I was using it for the past few months since coming back to Kuching and was getting quite fond of it.
Last month at the Maybank Malaysian Championship after the volunteers game I was very lucky this time and got a lucky draw for a SeeMore PCB putter and have been trying to get used to this new free putter. This is a blade putter but is centre blade and first time I'm trying to use a centre blade putter so needs awhile to get used to as have been using heel shafted putters all the time.
Re: Putters
amirul
Beginner

3 MYGOLF
simivan wrote:
Some may not agree, but this might be the most important piece of equipment in our bag and usually determines whether we break 100, 90 or even 80 (for some) - most might say the driver is more important.
The popular saying is that putters are very personal, all about feel and blah blah blah.
A lot of golfers would change and go through many different brands and types of putters over the years, some more than others but there are also those who would just play the same putter from when they first started.
Some would also be willing and able to pay top money for the top brands - Scotty, TM etc while some would just buy those generic or knock-offs with funny brand names at bargains for 100 or less.
I started with a Ping Anser blade putter (it the earlier years was quite reasonably priced not like now - I think new you could get for around 200) and used it for quite a long while, then switched to a Mizuno bought at a bargain used only for a short while and bought another bargain putter - can't remember the actual brand, Burrows or something - those guys came out with those clubs with holes or cavity in them - the putter was also some weird design - used this again for many years and finally gave it together with a 2nd hand set I sold to someone in this forum I think.
Then I bought online from USA a Never Compromise mallet (been using blades all this while) - this one with that fancy metal strip insert but also part plastic and the plastic cracked after less than 2 years - I was even using it for a few months after it cracked and had to putt off center where the face was still intact (if I struck the cracked part - the sound is like hitting a broken ping pong ball and the ball will just travel a few inches!)
Had some problems with the insurance claims (even till today still cannot claim) so a friend had an Odyssey white ice semi-mallet lying around in his house and passed to me so I was using it for the past few months since coming back to Kuching and was getting quite fond of it.
Last month at the Maybank Malaysian Championship after the volunteers game I was very lucky this time and got a lucky draw for a SeeMore PCB putter and have been trying to get used to this new free putter. This is a blade putter but is centre blade and first time I'm trying to use a centre blade putter so needs awhile to get used to as have been using heel shafted putters all the time.

Agree with you. Btw, i am using the SeeMore putter too. i like the alignment red dot function which really helps when come to stress putting during game session.
Sponsor
simivan

706 MYGOLF
Yes the red dot alignment guide seems a pretty useful thing.
Which model is yours? Also centre blade or heel shafted? Also as a matter of interest did you buy yours new or 2nd hand and how much?
If I really continue to struggle might put it up in the BST soon.
amirul
Beginner

3 MYGOLF
Mine is FGP Mallet and it is centre blade. i bought it new early/mid last year. it was RM699 or RM799 but that day special discount due to opening of MST branch, i got it at RM350.

since i am new, my putting alignment and stroke is not consistent. at least this red dot helps me re-alignment hence i only adjust to get the right tempo/stroke. but maybe for better player, this function is not applicable.
azri

206 MYGOLF
The dot is called rifle scope technology... Even Scotty Cameron also copied the red dot.. But I didn't really try hard to align to that..
Sponsor
magic

2858 MYGOLF
I was started with blade putter, scotty Cameron Newport 2. During the beginning, mallet putter seems to be very ugly to me and doesn't look "Pro"

later when I tried out the Odyssey #7 design, I kinda like the design and alignment.

So I have been trying Odyssey White Hot #7, Black I #7, Metal X #7, Tank Cruiser #7 and Metal X Milled #7.

now I am stick with Tan Cruiser #7. Good thing that it is allow me to adjust the counter balance weight and putter weight according to the green speed I play.
View user's profileFind all posts by magicSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
simivan

706 MYGOLF
magic wrote:
I was started with blade putter, scotty Cameron Newport 2. During the beginning, mallet putter seems to be very ugly to me and doesn't look "Pro"

later when I tried out the Odyssey #7 design, I kinda like the design and alignment.

So I have been trying Odyssey White Hot #7, Black I #7, Metal X #7, Tank Cruiser #7 and Metal X Milled #7.

now I am stick with Tan Cruiser #7. Good thing that it is allow me to adjust the counter balance weight and putter weight according to the green speed I play.

Mike - looks like your number of putters used need 2 hands to count - mine at least 1 hand enough.
Mr. Arnold Palmer got thousands of putters and changed very frequently and one guy who just won first time on the champions tour also switched putter after 1st round.
And the ongoing WGC Dell Match Play - saw one guy can't remember who was using this really ugly looking putter with such a massive head - as big as those old Erricson Mobile taiko tai.
boonhlaw

9 MYGOLF
I started with semi mallet - TaylorMade older model that comes with my first golf set. Then I switch to TaylorMade WhiteSmoke IN12 which I play kinda well. Then I switch to TaylorMade Ghost Spider Blade CB version 2015 which is black shaft and darker face. I also bought the TaylorMade Ghost Spider SI which I am not so used to it... And gift it away to a friend of mine. After that I switch to TaylorMade Gloire 2012 DA12 putter which is milled face. Then now I am gaming SC Newport 2.5 2014. Recently got the TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs + milled faced too as collection. I wanted to try the 2016 Newport Notchback when it release these few days.... LOL... For me... Driver is important... Putter too... But u must be good in all kind of shots... Irons.. Wood... LOL

Driver - TaylorMade M1 10.5/ Mitsubishi Rayon TM1-116 52g:R
5W - TaylorMade M2 18/ Mitsubishi Rayon TM1-216 43g:R
Irons - 5, 7, 9, P / TaylorMade M1 / NS 930GH:R
AW - Taylormade Tour Preferred 54 / KBS Tour V:S
SW - Taylormade IRS Milled Grind 56 / True Temper Dynamic Gold S200:S
Short PT- TaylorMade Gloire DA-12
Ball - TaylorMade TP5X
I sleep with my putter....
howe155

113 MYGOLF
Seriously that's the only club I dont change after I found my true love.

Started of with Ping Answer 2 35" then I saw it to short to 33" and its shelved ever since the cut.

Then I bought a second putter Nike OZ (mallet) didn't stay long and traded for an SMT 5W

Next I moved to the famous 2 ball Odyssey and later sold it for $250 I keep the chips accidentally. Great for ppl that doesnt feel his/her putts. Lag putts are horrible on these heavier mallet style putters and definitely a lucky draw for long long putts. My worst experience, putting on a 40ft down hill (green speed if i am not mistaken 12-13, hell yea PGA course - Phoenix Open) i pass the hole 20ft, then up hill putt pass 10ft and 4 putted on GIR.

Before I moved to Cleveland BRZ Classic 4.5, Odyssey #5 stayed in the bag for a short while.

Finally I found it - See More Si4 with rifle scope shaft and ever since this putter is in my bag... now grip is due but afraid I loose the feel once changed.

although I have my found love... but tht didnt keep me from HOing...
I bought a few more and started collecting blade type putters
The Mizuno BC2 - need to cut to 34" (now 35")

Ping S58 | Adams MB2 | Nike VR | Callaway Proto | MP32 | CG1 | TM RAC MB TP
Titleist Oil Can 50* Callaway X 54* & 58* (rusty)
SeeMore Si4 --> Evelyn 12 Yes
View user's profileFind all posts by howe155Send private messageVisit poster's website
ST

884 MYGOLF
I wish I know how many putters I have changed... Very Happy
Sponsor
simivan

706 MYGOLF
And look at that massive putter Lexis Thompson is wielding.
6" but still miss easy par putt at last.
howe155

113 MYGOLF
simivan wrote:
And look at that massive putter Lexis Thompson is wielding.
6" but still miss easy par putt at last.

Hahaha ya..... The hole is still 4" big and balls size ain't smaller...
Putter size has no correlation to making the ball drop into the hole...odds still the same...

Ping S58 | Adams MB2 | Nike VR | Callaway Proto | MP32 | CG1 | TM RAC MB TP
Titleist Oil Can 50* Callaway X 54* & 58* (rusty)
SeeMore Si4 --> Evelyn 12 Yes
View user's profileFind all posts by howe155Send private messageVisit poster's website
desertrose

27 MYGOLF
I'm 5'2" n using a 34" (men's) Odyssey Jailbird. As the extra length is sticking out about 3" above my hands I'm thinking of cutting it but m hesitant because it might change the swing weight noticeably. However due to the extra length it feels cumbersome. Any advice ?
magic

2858 MYGOLF
desertrose wrote:
I'm 5'2" n using a 34" (men's) Odyssey Jailbird. As the extra length is sticking out about 3" above my hands I'm thinking of cutting it but m hesitant because it might change the swing weight noticeably. However due to the extra length it feels cumbersome. Any advice ?

there is no definite answer for this. by holding 3 inch down, do you feel the weight of your putter head? do you feel it is lighter?

if you feel it is lighter, and you want it heavier, then cutting it short could be the way.

try go to the fitting shop, which the fitter could help you figure out what is the right length for you. This fitter which at kelana jaya, the shop is same row as Transview golf, he is quite good, and very patience person. I certainly he can help you
View user's profileFind all posts by magicSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
desertrose

27 MYGOLF
Thanks Magic.
Yes I do feel the weight of the putter head but I can't tell if I want it lighter or heavier as this is my first putter.
I'll take it to my fitter in RGT Kelana jaya .
Sponsor
Putters