MYGOLF
that's 6-6 applicable to everyone right

Hybrid : TaylorMade RBZ Stage2 19 Deg Tour AD DI 105s
Irons : 4 - PW Mizuno MP18-MB DG R300
Wedges : Titties Vokey SM5 50, 54 & 57
Putter : Odyssey Versa #7
botak

MYGOLF
Taiko Lee... your "finally" also leaving us in suspense....
Sponsor
Lee36328

MYGOLF
Magic wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
From the first post on this thread as I started my golf journey, after 3 years, 7 months, 28 days,

eureka!

... finally.

finally you are a good player Smile

Nope, finally I achieved the level of insight I spent all these years looking for. But only because the good Lord blessed me.

gbrian wrote:
finally.. gimme 6-6? Wink

lil puppy wrote:
that's 6-6 applicable to everyone right

Lord willing, plan to start a school sometime in the future where the students will never need to ask anyone for 6-6. Wink

botak wrote:
Taiko Lee... your "finally" also leaving us in suspense....

My bad brother. Did not think anyone was reading this thread much anymore.

I was referring to the key, the swing DNA if you like, that makes the different swings work. Ben, Tiger, Jamie, Couples, Bubba, Daly, etc.

Right now I am very partial using the Ben version with its control, but Tiger's move yields easy power with the occasional wildness.

With full disclaimer, the distance is not like those of course, but the mechanics are deliciously enjoyable.

The symptoms are, I am losing some weight, and feeling muscles grow in places they never did before.

Thanks for reading, guys.

(John 6:35 ESV)

Marking the date - farewell to my hybrids
Lee36328

MYGOLF
My dear Adamsgolf ProBlack and A12 hybrids,

You guys were my faithful companions in my fantastic adventures.

But the time has come for my game to grow up and move on.

So I have found two new friends, my 3 and 4 irons. They are tough to stomach at first, quite terrible, nowhere as friendly as you guys. They demand me to be constantly in my best form.

But if I put in the effort to understand what they demand from me, the discipline is exactly what I need. And when I do well, oh my, how they sing praises as the shots soar into the sky.

As I got to know them, they turned out to be nice blokes, quite friendly and obliging, even out of the rough.

So, farewell my friends. You have been terrific. May you find a good new home soon.

Yours swingingly,
Lee

Re: Marking the date - farewell to my hybrids
ashibr

MYGOLF
Lee36328 wrote:

So I have found two new friends, my 3 and 4 irons. They are tough to stomach at first, quite terrible, nowhere as friendly as you guys. They demand me to be constantly in my best form.

But if I put in the effort to understand what they demand from me, the discipline is exactly what I need. And when I do well, oh my, how they sing praises as the shots soar into the sky.

As I got to know them, they turned out to be nice blokes, quite friendly and obliging, even out of the rough.

So, farewell my friends. You have been terrific. May you find a good new home soon.

Yours swingingly,
Lee

Bro Lee,

What's the secret to use 3 n 4? I hav retired those two for quite sometime n seem no 5 will follow soon....

Tqvm
Ashibr
Sponsor
Lee36328

MYGOLF
ashibr wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:

Yours swingingly,
Lee

Bro Lee,

What's the secret to use 3 n 4? I hav retired those two for quite sometime n seem no 5 will follow soon....

Tqvm
Ashibr

Bro Ashibr,

Long story short, there is no one or two secret, it's the swing.

What happened was, I decided to stop relying on my easy-to-launch hybrids, and put my spanking new, not-a-single-scratch 3 and 4 irons into the bag. To launch them, I had to re-define my swing from the ground up. That took some time.

1) To hit with long iron, not too difficult.

2) To hit with long iron w some degree of distance and accuracy, harder than 1

3) To hit with long iron w distance, accuracy and repeat-ability, harder than 2

4) To hit with long iron w distance, accuracy, repeat-ability and sustainability, harder than 3.

I define sustainability as such. The swing must be as easy to execute at hole 18 as it is at hole 1, and equally capable of delivering level 4 performance.

For that, I have this little test. At the end of the range session, after say 200 or 300 balls, I take out the 3 iron. If I can still launch it, I am on the right track.

Have fun and enjoy this marvellous game.

Lee36328

MYGOLF
ashibr wrote:

Bro Lee,

Tqvm
Ashibr

By the way, the statement above could mean:

1. you got injured, or
2. you have not been practicing much, or

3. all that 'forgiveness' in the equipment is doing your swing more harm than good as time passes.

Fork in the road, two divergent paths:

I) Casual, just for fun... keep things easy and simple.
II) Determined, must conquer this mountain... face the music and take some tough medicine as soon as possible (refer point 3).

Make sense?

Cheers.

ashibr

MYGOLF
Lee36328 wrote:
ashibr wrote:

Bro Lee,

Tqvm
Ashibr

1. you got injured, or

3. all that 'forgiveness' in the equipment is doing your swing more harm than good as time passes.

II) Determined, must conquer this mountain... face the music and take some tough medicine as soon as possible (refer point 3).

Make sense?

Cheers.

well #3 is the top most reason...n the rest follows Sad

tried #II path initially but didnt have the high perseverance like you...so for now always go to #I ...just enjoy it Very Happy hehehe

But deep inside the flame to conquer the mountain still got...time will tell
Lee36328

MYGOLF
ashibr wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
ashibr wrote:

Bro Lee,

Tqvm
Ashibr

1. you got injured, or

Make sense?

Cheers.

well #3 is the top most reason...n the rest follows Sad

tried #II path initially but didnt have the high perseverance like you...so for now always go to #I ...just enjoy it Very Happy hehehe

But deep inside the flame to conquer the mountain still got...time will tell

Keep at it bro. Don't give up.

When you find the path, 3 iron will feel no different from an 8 iron. Trust me, you can do it.

Wink

desertrose

MYGOLF
Hi Lee,

May I ask you for some advice please.

I've been playing for less than a year and I'm struggling with Irons 5 n longer. Judging by your statement below, I should not walk down the path of hybrids? I'm hesitant to as I want to master irons, maybe I'm a purist but I'm quite resistant to modern innovation .

My swing speed is very slow 60-70mph.
Thanks!

You wrote:

Make sense?

Cheers.[/quote]
Sponsor
SP|D3RMaN

MYGOLF
Lee36328 wrote:

Hi Lee,
I am also new here, less then 2 months in this game.
Guess what? Someone told me the exact same thing a few days ago.
Lee36328

MYGOLF
Hi guys.

It is humbling and heart-warming that enthusiasts are keeping this thread going. My apologies for taking this long to reply, been busy w golf, naturally.

Allow me to address some aspects you guys raised below.

desertrose wrote:
Hi Lee,

May I ask you for some advice please.

I've been playing for less than a year and I'm struggling with Irons 5 n longer. Judging by your statement below, I should not walk down the path of hybrids? I'm hesitant to as I want to master irons, maybe I'm a purist but I'm quite resistant to modern innovation .

My swing speed is very slow 60-70mph.
Thanks!

You wrote:

Make sense?

Cheers.
[/quote]

desertrose,

Welcome to this fabulous, lifelong pursuit.

Caveat on my comments below: it is my personal view, and I am by no means an expert, but this is borne of 4 plus years of research in my own capacity. So, your mileage may vary.

Playing less than a year? Keep it up, well done so far.

Yes, it is a divergent path, and the earlier you decide which path to go down, the better. Either path is your choice and you know best what you want out of the game, and also what you are willing to put into it.

Going down the path of forgiveness is fine, but it is very difficult to change later should you change your mind.

Going down the path of long irons is also fine, but it is very difficult to master, so you need to commit to it in order for it to bear result eventually.

My personal reason, and its ok if you have a different point of view, is that forgiveness makes it easy for us to groove a flaw and after some time, it becomes almost permanent, very hard to change later.

I cherish long irons because they tell me the absolute unadorned truth about my swing. The moment a flaw creeps in, it is amplified, magnified by the long iron, demanding that I fix it quickly.

Conversely, if I can pure the long iron, I know I need not think twice about the mid and shorter irons.

Confession time, it took me a while to get my beloved Adams hybrid out of my bag. My friends have pointed out the irony of my choosing the most unforgiving Adams Pro Black hybrid to play with, seems to defeat the purpose of hybrids. But even the pro black is no match for the purity demanded by the 3 or 4 irons.

When I finally committed and took all hybrids out, from 3 wood it goes straight to 3 iron onwards, it took a bit of confidence building. After a shaky start, my subconscious soon adjusted and 'forgot' about the hybrids. And not having any choice, the subconscious learnt to play with long irons matter-of-factly.

What's so good about playing irons as compared to hybrids? I would soon find out.

On a particular par 3, the green sits on a hill, blind. My irons landed somewhere in the middle. My playing partner's hybrid landed somewhere before the pin, just on the edge. Perfect shot, I thought, better than mine, because it will roll out closer to the pin compared to mine which landed further in front and would therefore roll out even further past the pin.

On reaching the green, the ball closer to the pin was mine, while the hybrid shot rolled further away. Simply because of the spin and the landing angle.That drove the lesson home for me.

The Open 2014 is playing right now, Wicked fast greens, and windy course, putting a premium on accuracy and control. It would be an interesting informal experiment to see the distribution of the iron players and hybrid players in approach shots to the pin.

Enjoy this fabulous game.

God bless.

Lee36328

MYGOLF
SP|D3RMaN wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:

Hi Lee,
I am also new here, less then 2 months in this game.
Guess what? Someone told me the exact same thing a few days ago.

Yes, some of us share the same thinking. Smile

desertrose

MYGOLF
Hi Lee
Thanks I appreciate your advice in particular the excerpt below which clicked for me. I intend to master my irons n in combination with woods will make the best of the situation.

Regards

"My personal reason, and its ok if you have a different point of view, is that forgiveness makes it easy for us to groove a flaw and after some time, it becomes almost permanent, very hard to change later.

I cherish long irons because they tell me the absolute unadorned truth about my swing. The moment a flaw creeps in, it is amplified, magnified by the long iron, demanding that I fix it quickly. "
Lee36328

MYGOLF
desertrose wrote:
Hi Lee
Thanks I appreciate your advice in particular the excerpt below which clicked for me. I intend to master my irons n in combination with woods will make the best of the situation.

Regards

"My personal reason, and its ok if you have a different point of view, is that forgiveness makes it easy for us to groove a flaw and after some time, it becomes almost permanent, very hard to change later.

I cherish long irons because they tell me the absolute unadorned truth about my swing. The moment a flaw creeps in, it is amplified, magnified by the long iron, demanding that I fix it quickly. "

Congratulations desertrose.

You have chosen a more difficult, but if you persevere, a sublimely rewarding path. In your forthcoming study of the irons, as you master and shape your swing, you will also shape your character.

May you enjoy the journey. Won't be easy, I can promise you. But so rewarding in the end.

On to some specifics in the your post below.

Sponsor
Lee algolfholic - 2017 Back With A Vengeance